• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What do you reccomend for my 1911?

Ok well the newest addition to my firearms is a S&W 1911ES that is intended for carry purposes down the line. I have a beltman belt and Milt Sparks VMII for that setup... Anyways, there are a couple things I want to improve on it...

First off the trigger that rattles really does bother me. Anyone have a suggestion on what to look for on a trigger?

Secondly I would like some sights that catch my eye a little better than the white dots, what do you think?

Lastly I am having some FTF issues on the stock magazines on the last round, this seems to be not out of the ordinary. I want to get some Wilson Combat magazines, preferably the ETM ones, but their site doesn't do to well on stating which of the ETM series will fit my bun properly with the officers frame.

I am new to looking at and buying individual parts for the 1911 and still learning a lot so all help is appreciated.

One last question... the 1911ES doesn't have a horrible trigger pull, and I don't want it to light since it will be for carry, but are there any other benefits to a trigger job on a gun like this?

Thanks,
BE4TNUT

P.S. What do you guys think about Crimson Trace grips on the 1911 for carry?

Last edited:
First off the trigger that rattles really does bother me. Anyone have a suggestion on what to look for on a trigger?
A gunsmith. He'll either fix that one or (more likely) replace it and properly fit the new one. 1911 triggers are not drop-in parts. They are typically oversize from the factory and must be carefully filed to fit.

Secondly I would like some sights that catch my eye a little better than the white dots, what do you think?
I like Heinie Slant Pro, specifically the rear ledge black, front sight with a tritium insert. 10-8 Performance also has a nice looking sight.

Lastly I am having some FTF issues on the stock magazines on the last round, this seems to be not out of the ordinary. I want to get some Wilson Combat magazines, preferably the ETM ones, but their site doesn't do to well on stating which of the ETM series will fit my bun properly with the officers frame.
ETM magazines are for fullsize frames. If your gun has an officers frame, they won't fit. Get 6 or 7 round officers mags:

http://shopwilsoncombat.com/Wilson-...-7-Round-Standard-Base-Pad/productinfo/47,OX/

If you are still having FTF, then have a gunsmith look at it. Possible issues are 1) bad extractor tension, or 2) rough breech face.

One last question... the 1911ES doesn't have a horrible trigger pull, and I don't want it to light since it will be for carry, but are there any other benefits to a trigger job on a gun like this?
Yes, and a gunsmith can do that while fixing your trigger.

P.S. What do you guys think about Crimson Trace grips on the 1911 for carry?
I've got them on mine.

Keep in mind that the Wilson all have baseplates; they will not fit totally flush. This isn't really all that important, but if you don't want that, try Tripp Research magazines.

I also like Crimson Trace grips very much, but for a carry gun, you may want thin grips instead to increase conceal-ability. This requires thin grip bushings too, and makes the gun feel less good in your hands, but they are thin.

You can do the trigger yourself with some tools, but I wouldn't do so on a gun you intend to carry unless you'd done it a few times before.

For a carry gun the trigger rattle should noy be to big of a issue. I never really noticed my S&W 1911 trigger rattle until I read about it a few time on NES
I give a plus for the laser grips. I did not find concealment to be hindered by the grips. I prefer the laser grips with the front strap activation. Just be sure your holster does not contact it.

A perfect "drop in" trigger for S&W's are the Greider triggers. 99% of the time they don't even require any kind of fitting for our guns. I dropped a short one into my S&W and didn't have to touch a thing. Rattle is gone and all safeties function correctly. The carbon trigger I originally ordered from Fusion was a POS and cost twice what the Greider cost.

Laser grips are great and they're on my S&W 1911 as well (mine were factory installed). I think they're great, especially if you don't want to use night sights

I have the same gun I replaced my trigger with a Wilson Combat. Picked un some Wilson Combat mags (they are great). I also have CT grips on mine and love them. This is my cold weather heavy cloths carry gun.

I have the same gun I replaced my trigger with a Wilson Combat. Picked un some Wilson Combat mags (they are great). I also have CT grips on mine and love them. This is my cold weather heavy cloths carry gun.

Heya Brian, Im not all to far out from Douglas area. Thing I could check out your setup sometime since I am thinking along the same lines of work for mine? Im most curious about the CT grips...

I wouldn't mine if something could be coordinated. My schedule is usually a hectic fly by the seat of my pants type of thing Theses seem to be trying times for the carpentry trade)

Ok well the newest addition to my firearms is a S&W 1911ES
Anyways, there are a couple things I want to improve on it...

First off the trigger that rattles really does bother me.

Lastly I am having some FTF issues on the stock magazines on the last round.

I am new to looking at and buying individual parts for the 1911 and still learning a lot so all help is appreciated.

What do you guys think about Crimson Trace grips on the 1911 for carry?

That's a lot of things to fix. Your best bet would be to just sell it to ME.

"..... . . . . will fit my bun properly with the officers frame." UM - just where are you carrying that pistol ?? Never mind - you better sell it to someone else.

Hahaha, where else would you keep the spare magazine?! JK!

B is too close to G on the keyboard.... fitting my GUN is what I was inquiring about haha.

Back
Top Bottom