What do you know about Carcano Modello's?

Just curious. I had a grandfather stationed in Italy in WW2 and I remember as a child he always talked about the Italian weapons and how awful they were compared to what the US soldiers had. I looked up some info on them, and haven't really found any practical info on them, how availible they are, what decent prices are, etc.

Anyone snag any over the years? What should I be looking for in a Carcano (besides the obvious matching of numbers and looking to be in good shape).

they are plentiful, and on the cheap side compared to german and US. arms of the period. wernt exactlythe easiest to use (mag fed bolt rifle). probably the more uglier weapons of wwii in my opinion.

Plenty of info to be found here http://forums.gunboards.com/forumdisplay.php?10-Italian-Firearms-Forum

Originally made in 6.5x52 and 7.35x51mm, some converted to 8x57IS Mauser.
While 6.5x52 and 8mm Mauser ammo are commercially available, the 7.35x51 is not (yet).
I only have a R.E. Terni M38 Fucile Corto in 7.35 which I've bought only for the bayo. The cost
of an original bayo will pay for several rifles over here.

Historic Carcano's

Lee Harvey Oswald owned a 91/38 Carcano which he bought for $19.95 from a American Rifleman ad. See link below for the story. Check out the ad from the magazine: You could have bought a 1917 with a scope for $29.88.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_F._Kennedy_assassination_rifle

If I ever saw a 91/38 at the right price I would pick it up for the historic value alone.

Note that Lee Harvey also bought a S&W Victory revolver at the same time. Must have been for his Milsurp collection.....

Lots of info out there to see on line including a bunch of vids on youtube. I like Carcano's and picking them them when I find them at the right price. Like most milsurps today, the only market left is the secondary one and they are getting harder and harder to find. I mostly see sporters now or ones that some one thinks is worth $500. I bought 2 in the last two years for under $150 each. Those deals are still out there if you are patient enough.

They are good rifles and shoot just as well as any of the other basic bolt actions of the era. They appear light and skimpy compared to a mauser however. To a Garand, of course there is no comparison. In fact last year I picked up a carbine at an auction because they thought it was a toy gun and did not know it was a real one. It was with the furniture and not with the other guns and had to convince them it was a real gun.

BTW: A lot of Carcano's have the muzzle bored out about a 1/4 turn of the lands (inch or so into the barrel). This is to basically how they recrowned the barrels without having to change the front sites. This is common and without it, you may get a more collectible gun but it will likely shoot like crap if it saw battle.

Back
Top Bottom