• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What do you guys know about this Browning?

There was a thread on here this week about a very similar looking browning.
The slot on the back of the grip is for a stock, and the rifle style sight is used for longer distances.
I believe the wooden stock functioned as a case for (most of) the gun, when disassembled.

I have one of those. It's a Belgium made, Nazi-proofed Browning Hi-Power. As jtnf said, the slot on the backstrap is for the stock (which doubles as a holster) and the tangent sights were designed for long distance shooting. For some reason, they thought that the 9mm cartridge would be good for long range shots as long as the shooter had a stock to steady himself. They ended up dropping the stock and tangent sights for more traditional rear sights shortly thereafter.

Browning Hi-Power... really? People don't know what those look like?

That one's in beautiful shape.

For some reason, they thought that the 9mm cartridge would be good for long range shots as long as the shooter had a stock to steady himself.

I guess you could get better accuracy out of a pistol that was fitted with a stock vs one without, but at that point why not just have a gd rifle right?

Absolutely! Shooting Lugers with a shoulder stock really proves their tack driving ability.

As to Hi-Powers w/ tangent sight, there's a pretty early one (ca. 1938) residing downstairs.
The shoulder stock shown is a repro, as is the C-96 style stock/holster I have for it.

eta: Better pics of her

Last edited:
After seeing that rear sight, I had no idea that Kalashnikov also had something to do with the BHP. [rofl]

-Mike

Back
Top Bottom