What do you guys do with your preban mags?

Do you store them and not use them because they're so hard to find?
Do you use them just for CCW?
Do you use them just like any other mags you have?

I use some that aren't in best shape and save some. Don't really use them for CCW cause I don't need hi caps in those guns. Don't let the bad guys find out. [rolleyes]

I have 4 preban 15 round mags for my Glock 22. Generally I have one in the pistol, and one in a mag pouch on my belt. If I am going to the range, I will bring all 4 so I don't have to unload my defensive ammunition (federal hydrashocks) and reload with my range ammo. When not at the range, I keep the extra 2 mags loaded with def. ammo in my bug-out bag.

I keep my pre-ban hi-caps sealed in a mayonnaise jar under the back porch! [devil] [pot]

Seriously . . . I use what mags I have, pre-ban or crippled! I use them for practice, for CCW, etc. That's why I have them.

I use the ones which I have plenty of for carry and practise. But those which I have few of I generally reserve for carry and practise with "short" ones.

I crochet "magazine cozies" for my pre-ban mags and keep them on the mantel.

OK that's a lie. But it sounded good when it popped into my head. If ya got it, use it. I like to load all my magazines when I'm shooting so I don't have to reload every time.

SiameseRat said:
I crochet "magazine cozies" for my pre-ban mags and keep them on the mantel.

With minor adjustments you can make "banana warmers" from that same design!

[smile]

I have a bunch of what I've been "told" are pre-ban mags when I bought them. Not exactly sure though if they are or are not pre-ban. I shoot the crap out of them at the range etc, but I'm hesitant to carry them. I may be in the minority here, but I'm thinking that if I need more then 10 rnds in a self defense situation my situational awareness has completely failed me. In this state especially, if I'm involved in a shooting I don't want them to have any reason to suspect me.

Maybe that's being a bit to paranoid, but I don't loose any sleep when I carry with only a 10 rnd mag.

My favorite mags for my M14's are the ones stamped "FOR LAW ENFORCEMENT AND GOVERNMENT USE ONLY". Just feels like I'm sticking it to The Man.

Seems like for more common firearms like AR's, AK's, Glock's they're not too hard to find. A little pricey but not hard to find.

Last edited:
For rifle mags...

I went on a mag buying binge just before the 94 ban was due to expire (mostly 30rd M-16/AR-15 mags). A lot of the mag hoarders and speculators anticipating the ban sunsetting were looking to unload what they had at half the price they were selling a year beforehand. I have about 6-8 that I use as my range mags. The rest (about 20... some still NIW), I put aside for safe keeping in case the ban is renewed. I also have several 20rd mags that I use for firing from the bench. The few AK mags that I have (MUST... BUY... MORE!...), all get used, the exeception is a 75rd Chinese drum mag that I used once just to see if it would function.

For handgun mags the only "large capacity" handgun I own is a Beretta 92-FS. I bought 6 pre-ban mags online just prior to the bans expiration. Those mags I use just like they were any other mag.

PatMcD said:
My favorite mags for my M14's are the ones stamped "FOR LAW ENFORCEMENT AND GOVERNMENT USE ONLY". Just feels like I'm sticking it to The Man.

Yeah, but the best M14 mags are pre-ban, since they're USGI.

I use my "pre-ban" mags like the rest, but I'm rethinking that, since I do go to NY State sometimes, and have forgotten to get all my "post-ban" mags out of my truck. I may go to using my "pre-ban" M9 mags as back ups to be kept in the glove box of the truck.

Lugnut said:
Do you store them and not use them because they're so hard to find?
Do you use them just for CCW?
Do you use them just like any other mags you have?

I use some that aren't in best shape and save some. Don't really use them for CCW cause I don't need hi caps in those guns. Don't let the bad guys find out. [rolleyes]

It depends on how many magazines I have for the gun. Most of the time
I end up avoiding using the 10 round clinton jobs at all. In some cases
if I dont have a lot of normal capacity mags I periodically test them and then
more or less put them aside, or only use them for CCW.

I always use them for CCW, if the gun can take a normal mag, it gets one, with
so far, only one exception. (I have a USP .40 compact for which
legal prebans are unobtainium for). IMO carrying a gun that was
designed to take 12-17 rounds of ammo with only 10 in it is a situation
that should be avoided unless someone gets legally pigeonholed into doing
it.

Abuse-wise the only thing you really need to do is clean them periodically
and maybe replace the springs every few years. They'll last just about
forever. In some cases the follower might need replacement, but you'd
really have to beat the snot out of a mag to break the follower.

-Mike

Back
Top Bottom