• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What do you do with unusable but unfired ammo?

That Guy

Banned
Out of the last couple of boxes of Federal 9mm target ammo, I have two rounds that came from the factory not usable - they had the top of the casing folded folded under in a spot. Setting aside the lack of quality control at Federal that allowed me to get two of these rounds withing maybe three boxes, what do you do with ammo like that? I don't want to throw it in the trash, obviously, but on the other hand, I don't want to have a growing collection of useless ammo, either. (I have an older .22 that has semi-routine failures which occasionally ruins a round as well)

A dud can, anything your range might have for unfired brass, and if none of the above then drop it in whatever can you guys have for empty brass.

Years ago my club didn't have anything for unfired ammo. Each range had a large metal drum for trash, and all the fudds wouldn't want to toss the unfired in the bushes so they'd toss it in the trash. Then one of us would light a fire in the drum to burn all the trash, since that's what we do.

Send them back to Federal with the lot number and the box. Might give you a coupon for more ammo. Failing that dud can at the range. Dont throw them in the trash or the brass buckets.

why not trash it?

Trashing it is fine, just don't throw it in with the spent brass.

EDIT: Also please don't put range dust, chunks of target paper, shoot-n-see stickers, steel or aluminum cases, or anything else besides spent brass in with the spent brass. Someone has to sort that stuff out before it goes to be recycled.

Last edited:
Trashing it is fine, just don't throw it in with the spent brass.

you want the spent brass for yourself, eh? [rofl]

I had a buddy misfeed some garbage wolf 223 this weekend on my AR. he did it twice somehow. After the second time the bullet was so loose I just pulled it out of the case with my hand.

Do you take steel also? [rofl]

A friend once suggested that they be soaked in a can of oil for a month or so, after which it was then safe to throw them in the trash.

Personally, I use the dud can at the club, form there I believe they are taken by elves to lands unknown.

you want the spent brass for yourself, eh? [rofl]

I had a buddy misfeed some garbage wolf 223 this weekend on my AR. he did it twice somehow. After the second time the bullet was so loose I just pulled it out of the case with my hand.

Do you take steel also? [rofl]

We either sort and sell it as range brass or send it to the scrap yard for recycling. If it goes to the scrap yard we get more money for it if it's "clean" brass and not mixed brass and other junk. Either way the money goes back into the club, not into my pocket. (I don't need money that bad yet.) [grin]

The steel and aluminum get sorted out and recycled separately. Honestly we get so little of it (and so little for it) and it's such a PITA to sort out, I'd just assume see it get tossed in the trash.

Last edited:
pull the bullet, pour out the powder in a line and mix it with cocaine.

i don't know what to do with the primer afterwards, but it's okay because i can't feel my face.

Out of the last couple of boxes of Federal 9mm target ammo, I have two rounds that came from the factory not usable - they had the top of the casing folded folded under in a spot. Setting aside the lack of quality control at Federal that allowed me to get two of these rounds withing maybe three boxes, what do you do with ammo like that? I don't want to throw it in the trash, obviously, but on the other hand, I don't want to have a growing collection of useless ammo, either. (I have an older .22 that has semi-routine failures which occasionally ruins a round as well)

Throw them into a can and give them to a friend who reloads. It's not like it's some huge hazard or something. I have a small tub of "mistakes" .

-Mike

Call Federal and tell them about it. I did this with Olin (Winchester) a few months back. They sent me an envelope to ship the bad rounds in and then gave a couple of gift certificates. I was hoping for a case ([laugh]), but I still got basically a free box for what was only two bad rounds. Maybe Federal is more generous........

Its been posted, but it bears repeating:

Call the manufacturer, they will have you send it back in the original box and compensate you for your troubles.

A friend once suggested that they be soaked in a can of oil for a month or so, after which it was then safe to throw them in the trash.

Personally, I use the dud can at the club, form there I believe they are taken by elves to lands unknown.

I'd be willing to bet that if you took a cartridge and soaked it oil for a month, that you could then wipe it off, load it and it would fire just fine.

I usually eat them with a bit of grape preserves.

I'd really like to try leaving them in the public restroom idea. Mass, I like the way you think.

$(KGrHqR,!lYF!uZoO+s!BQYM(-t)tg~~60_1.JPG

Back
Top Bottom