• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What do you do when you've plateaued?

I've been shooting pistols regularly for the last couple years. I'd say I'm an ok shooter but I can't seem to break new barriers. I'm not interested in bullseye shooting with .22s but I clearly recognize the fundamentals are the same with action/IPDA shooting. Although I like IDPA/action shooting much better that shooting at paper- I want to improve all aspects of my shooting.

I've taken a several classes (Sig Academy) and have plans to meet some instructors for some pointers in the upcoming weeks.

What have you done to improve your shooting proficiency?

Big Daddy- I just want better grouping and consistency. I seem to shoot good groups at 25 feet +/- when I concentrate but I want to get better. 50 feet groups need work. I just haven't seen improvements lately.

One one one is in the works. ;)

When I have that problem and want to reduce my groups, I dry fire. Probably 100 PERFECT dry fire shots for every live round.
I also reduce the number of rounds fired per shooting session. Usually I end up only shooting 1/4 to 1/2 half of my normal amount.
When I am "ON" I tend to fire 300-500 round per session at least once a week.

Remeber, practice doesn't make perfect. Perfect Practice makes Perfect.

Most IDPAers that I've seen at Riverside who have trouble making long shots accurately would do best by practicing exquisite trigger control, trigger reset, and follow-through.

I agree dry fire is a very good idea, as is the ball and dummy drill, and as is having a knowledgeable shooting buddy watch you shoot and then give you a critique.

Any time I start having handgun accuracy woes, I get closer to the target. Get close enough that you shoot one ragged hole. Then take a few steps back and start over. .22 pistols work great too as they are super cheap. The reduced recoil helps you to concentrate on fundamentals.

Most IDPAers that I've seen at Riverside who have trouble making long shots accurately would do best by practicing exquisite trigger control, trigger reset, and follow-through.

I agree dry fire is a very good idea, as is the ball and dummy drill, and as is having a knowledgeable shooting buddy watch you shoot and then give you a critique.

I'm sorry- I don't believe I know what the ball and dummy drill is. Can you explain?

Dry firing, ball and dummy, volume. Volume is key to speed in my experience. I can shoot accurately all day long, I can do it after not shooting for two months, but if I want to shoot and move fast as IPSC requires I need to have a high volume of practice. For action shooting in the early stages, once you have accuracy down, I find practicing reloading and moving and timing your reloads to be more important then the actual speed with which you shoot. Most of my time in a course is spent moving and transitioning, my shooting is actually a small portion of my total time.

One difficult thing that I am struggling with is shooting on the move, I want to get to the point where I can shoot roughly the same standing still or moving within 50ft. I practice waddling a couple times a week in my apartment.

Ball and dummy, mix snap caps into the magazine with live ammo. Try and find a way so that you don't know which is a snap cap and which is live. Go shoot, if you see yourself flinching when the snap cap comes up you know you have a problem. I think the ball and dummy is useful but only to a point, you should be able to call your shots with out the dummy, if you can't then you may not be paying attention to your trigger control. Experts may be able to point out somethign I am missing.

I always get a kick out of action shooting considering 50 ft. a long shot, 50 ft is short range (gallery style excluded), 25 yards is where long begins, 50 yards is long for a target the size of the IPSC Charlie zone. Any action shooters out there who consider 50 ft. short?

Last edited:
One problem is that a lot of shooters concentrate too much on the volume of practice (how much time the spent at the range and how many rounds they fired). If you're not doing everything correctly, then all that does make poor shooting more natural and instinctive. Slow down, analyze every detail of your technique, and focus on correcting every tiny error before your start worrying about volume. Dry firing is a great way to zero in on trigger control and follow through, the most likely source of problems.

Ken

When you atrt to increase distance, you need to increase concentration. Every aspect of shooting a hand gun is magnified when you shoot further.

Pay more attention to everything:
Breathing
grip
sight alignment
ammount of finger on the trigger
trigger squeeeze
shot anticipation and flinch. Remember, the shot must surprise you.
Slow down too.

What is your grouping size at 50 yard? What is it your shooting? Barrel length? Your weapon my be part of the trouble.

Sorry, I didn't mean to be vague. However the guns I shoot vary a bit. I shoot a Glock 26, 27, 19, Sig 239 9mm, 228, 229 .40 and a Kahr K9 mosty, although sometimes my S&W 686+ and a Ruger MKII. I'm probably the best with the 229/228/G19. I don't expect to be perfect with these guns, realizing they are combat guns with combat sights but there's still lots of room for improvement!

Depends on concentration, speed and the day but offhand I usually shoot groups of 2-3 inches at 25 feet with an occasional loser group- at slow-medium speeds. The irony is the groups don't get much bigger when I pick up the speed. Groups at 50 feet tend to increase to ~6" +/-.

50 yds- forget it. I don't even try. Sometimes 25 yds.

My entire group tends to be off to the left a bit with all my guns but I can't seem to correct that. I'll get tight groups off center by 1-2 inches. I don't suspect it's the guns. I've shot from a bench and the groups still go slightly left but I'm not sure if it's still not me (not enough trigger?).

Anyways- I'm going to meet with some experts and see if I can't come up with something.

Thanks for the ideas.

Had your vision checked lately? Astigmatism, possible eye-dominance issues.

Last edited:
Had your visionchecked lately? Astigmatism, possible eye-dominance issues.

No astigmatism but I am left eye dominant and shoot right handed. I've seen the same results with my right eye shut and my left hand is absolutely pathetic. I'm hooking up with someone tomorrow... I'll let you guys know what the diagnosis is if it's not fatal!

Ok..sounds like there are a few things that are involved with your grouping problem. Everyone of the pistols you mentioned are of a short barrel variety. Once you get out to any kind of long distance, your group will naturally become bigger. Also, sounds like you have way too much trigger finger on the trigger. Your pushing to the left. You want just the pad of your finger ( opposite your fingernail ) on the trigger.

Are you shooting two handed? If so, relax your right hand slightly and grip the pistol and right hand firmly with the left hand. You should see some improvement. Your trigger finger can work better and smoother if your right hand isnt all tensed up gripping the boogers out of the pistol.

Ok..sounds like there are a few things that are involved with your grouping problem. Everyone of the pistols you mentioned are of a short barrel variety. Once you get out to any kind of long distance, your group will naturally become bigger. Also, sounds like you have way too much trigger finger on the trigger. Your pushing to the left. You want just the pad of your finger ( opposite your fingernail ) on the trigger.

Are you shooting two handed? If so, relax your right hand slightly and grip the pistol and right hand firmly with the left hand. You should see some improvement. Your trigger finger can work better and smoother if your right hand isnt all tensed up gripping the boogers out of the pistol.

You are also shooting too many different hand guns. Stick with one, get good with it and then move on.

Regards,

Bingo Hamar!

I had the pleasure of having James Conway check out my situation. We (really it was Jim!) pretty much narrowed it down to grip and finger problems. I have a few things to work on- one is lightening up on my right hand grip when shooting two handed! I didn't realize my grip was tight but evidence proves otherwise. I also need to find ways to help my trigger finger to work independently from the rest of my fingers! My stance was a little off but I think the majority of my problem is grip and fingers.

Round Gun- Good advice as well. I have some guns that aren't ideal for me given my genetics. [wink] I don't think I'll be able to part with them though. On the other hand I can see a 1911 in my future and possibly a Springfield XD!! Love the feel, trigger and grip of that baby!

Last edited:
Well, I guess this old timer still knows a thing or two about shootin!..LOL..I'm glad you found out what the issues were and now know what to work on. Keep practicing!

I also need to find ways to help my trigger finger to work independently from the rest of my fingers!

Dry fire helps alot here. My wife thinks I'm a bit of a whack job when I'm on a dry fire jag, spending 15-20 minutes several nights a week "shooting" at a post-it note on door at the far end of the house.

Back
Top Bottom