What do you do when you see another hunter walking through the woods without full orange? Just a Orange hat

MFSP101

NES Member
I was out tonight and a guy is walking about 75 yards from where I was sitting. I’m in full orange. He only had a hat. Did make any noise just watched where he was going. Saw him come back but it was pretty dark at that point and he was still about 75 yards away.

Yes 500” of orange. I’m new to this this year so I was surprised to see some one with out enough orange.

I was just talking about this subject today because someone just got shot again, I believe in Plympton. The amount of orange we have to wear is ridiculous. I freakin' glow in the dark. It should make no difference if you wear orange or don't, there is absolutely no way you can mistake a human, a dog, a sheep, cow or anything else, for a deer. You do not pull the trigger until you have clearly identified the target. Now, I think a bit of orange should be required so if you do see a deer you will have an idea if there is a human beyond your intended target.

So if a guy walks by with just an orange hat, I am good. No possible way I am going to shoot him. Heck, he can be in full camo and he will still be safe around me.

The guy that got shot today took it in the chest. Who ever pulled the trigger should be in jail. The only understandable reason for taking a bullet while hunting is some weird ricochet; that's it.

Now, I think a bit of orange should be required so if you do see a deer you will have an idea if there is a human beyond your intended target.

You would think it would help, but it doesn't always. I was hunting in the late '70s in the Sandisfield area and I was targeting a deer when I noticed another hunter about 75 yds away from me directly opposite where I was aiming. This nitwit stood up and was about to shoot when I started yelling at him since he obviously didn't see me, and I was decked out in orange. That was my last day hunting in MA (too crowded for my liking). If I go out, it is in either mid to northern NH or ME.

I hunt on my own property only. Public land I'm sure would be more productive with deer being pushed around. I am old enough now to have seen way too many blithering idiots out there. I'm surprised a lot of them don't shoot themselves, never mind anyone else

Blaze orange helps others spot you at a greater distance. Important !! You could be in the line of fire if a deer passes between you. (Hopefully the other guy is a responsible hunter)

I hunt on my own property only. Public land I'm sure would be more productive with deer being pushed around. I am old enough now to have seen way too many blithering idiots out there. I'm surprised a lot of them don't shoot themselves, never mind anyone else

Blaze orange helps others spot you at a greater distance. Important !! You could be in the line of fire if a deer passes between you. (Hopefully the other guy is a responsible hunter)
I kept an eye on where he went and it was down hill from where I was but it was also in the direction I was watching for deer. I used my range finder and keep scanning for his hat. And I definatly would not take a shot if I wasn’t 100% sure it was a deer.

I was out tonight and a guy is walking about 75 yards from where I was sitting. I’m in full orange. He only had a hat. Did make any noise just watched where he was going. Saw him come back but it was pretty dark at that point and he was still about 75 yards away.
The guy is a jackass when he gets shot he will recall why he needs to wear more orange

At 75 yards buck shot is still reachable is he’s walking fast ,provided you still have the
Proper tag left, brb. I’ll check what the bag limit is for non enough orange on is.

If I’m walking the dog in the woods this month, should I spray paint him orange as well?

Last edited:
You would think it would help, but it doesn't always. I was hunting in the late '70s in the Sandisfield area and I was targeting a deer when I noticed another hunter about 75 yds away from me directly opposite where I was aiming. This nitwit stood up and was about to shoot when I started yelling at him since he obviously didn't see me, and I was decked out in orange. That was my last day hunting in MA (too crowded for my liking). If I go out, it is in either mid to northern NH or ME.
Even in northern VT (Cambridge, Jeffersonville area) years ago I'd run into too many hunters. Go into the deep stuff - BELVEDERE VT and into the woods headed NNW - and you probably still won't see hunters even now, 35 years later.
You are pretty likely to see at least one deer too big to drag out if you trek in far enough !!

Mind my own business. f***ing people in Massachusetts, are you all pre-conditioned to be nanny statist cuckholds with accents that make you sound like you have downs or are you just products of the vile disgusting new england environment?

Mind my own business. f***ing people in Massachusetts, are you all pre-conditioned to be nanny statist cuckholds with accents that make you sound like you have downs or are you just products of the vile disgusting new england environment?
😂. I would have fired off a shot and watch him shit his pants, then told him how much of an idiot he is.

Lol...Some of you guys are very funny...
IMHO, most hunting accidents are not occurring due to someone mistaking a human for game. Some sure; but most are ND, ricochet or shooting at deer with human down range.
Why someone would go into the woods in MA without an orange vest, who knows....? Maybe Darwinism will work it's magic.

I'm from mass and just posted "mind my own f***ing business"......but hey......carry on with your stereotypical attitude.

What would I do?

Mind my own f***ing business.

I was just talking about this subject today because someone just got shot again, I believe in Plympton. The amount of orange we have to wear is ridiculous. I freakin' glow in the dark. It should make no difference if you wear orange or don't, there is absolutely no way you can mistake a human, a dog, a sheep, cow or anything else, for a deer. You do not pull the trigger until you have clearly identified the target. Now, I think a bit of orange should be required so if you do see a deer you will have an idea if there is a human beyond your intended target.

So if a guy walks by with just an orange hat, I am good. No possible way I am going to shoot him. Heck, he can be in full camo and he will still be safe around me.

The guy that got shot today took it in the chest. Who ever pulled the trigger should be in jail. The only understandable reason for taking a bullet while hunting is some weird ricochet; that's it.
You touched on the actual reason for orange. It's to identify if another hunter is behind your target. I quickly scan behind a deer for orange before pressing the trigger.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom