• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What do you do when you see another hunter walking through the woods without full orange? Just a Orange hat

You would think it would help, but it doesn't always. I was hunting in the late '70s in the Sandisfield area and I was targeting a deer when I noticed another hunter about 75 yds away from me directly opposite where I was aiming. This nitwit stood up and was about to shoot when I started yelling at him since he obviously didn't see me, and I was decked out in orange. That was my last day hunting in MA (too crowded for my liking). If I go out, it is in either mid to northern NH or ME.
Yeah well......you think maine and New Hampshire are safer?

I showed up to hunt snow shoe hare with a guide in northern Maine last year......the day after he evacced a Hunter who was shot in the face by his own son with birdshot. They were from NH.... and hunting in Maine.....but go ahead and live in your dream world where Maine and NH are the utopian worlds of safe responsible hunters. [rolleyes]

Last edited:
Yes. At first I thought he had a bow. But then I saw the stock and scope. Still supposed to have 500” even if your bow hunting in shot gun season.
Wow.....amazing.... The guy was not wearing the "required" 500 square inches.....and nobody shot him?!?! Thank the Lord he made it out alive.

Last edited:
At 75 yards buck shot is still reachable is he’s walking fast ,provided you still have the
Proper tag left, brb. I’ll check what the bag limit is for non enough orange on is.

If I’m walking the dog in the woods this month, should I spray paint him orange as well?
My dog and I don't do the woods so much anymore, but she's got an extra large orange Winchester vest. It's semi reflective so good for evening walks

Mind my own business. f***ing people in Massachusetts, are you all pre-conditioned to be nanny statist cuckholds with accents that make you sound like you have downs or are you just products of the vile disgusting new england environment?
Not over the top at all.

SCCanUCMeNow.jpg
I also have one of these now:

giro_flak_helmet_1534657144_47823d3a.jpg

That said, I still avoid riding areas that are hunted weekdays during the season.

It's a simple hunting regulation. My neighbors wear the blaze orange while walking their dogs, which are also often wearing orange vests. Phucking commies.

Lol...Some of you guys are very funny...
IMHO, most hunting accidents are not occurring due to someone mistaking a human for game. Some sure; but most are ND, ricochet or shooting at deer with human down range.
Why someone would go into the woods in MA without an orange vest, who knows....? Maybe Darwinism will work it's magic.
That’s as dumb of an excuse as the Twinkie defense.

I’ve seen epo’s in full camo in the woods, think it would be ok to shoot them?

They didn’t really look like deer, one was kinda acting like a turkey, but no orange , so ROE
is light em up?

Last edited:
Seems like the only person he's endangering is himself (but it's not). No excuse really. I paid less than 10 bucks for a nylon orange vest from wally world. I throw it over my pack/stand when I pack in so that I have orange on my backside which the pack would otherwise cover.

Some may think this is a victimless crime and he only endangers himself, but that's not true. If he did manage to get himself shot, the person behind the gun would have their life turned upside down as well. I would offer the dude my spare orange vest and tell him to wisen the f*** up...

How big was his hat?

I know(well pretty sure anyway) its a sarcastic question but it wouldn't matter if his orange hat was the size of a volkswagon. The requirement of an orange hat is included the number of total square inches(500) of hunter orange that must be worn on chest, back and head.
Why anyone would not wear it is insane, especially in congested hunting areas......hell, I wear it on my own property and I don't allow anyone else to hunt here......but there's always the possibility of a trespasser in the woods.

It's a simple hunting regulation. My neighbors wear the blaze orange while walking their dogs, which are also often wearing orange vests. Phucking commies.

Commies or not, your neighbors are smart.

From my years of hunting in Maine, hunter orange is standard clothing for the locals for ALL occasions during deer season.

When I'm hunting I just shoot at anything that moves. I don't bother looking to see if it's a deer, let alone whether it's a buck or a doe and I definitely don't bother aiming for a humane kill. And I never, ever check to see what may be beyond my target. I just let the slugs fly! So if you're not covered from head to toe with blaze orange you're asking to get shot. Hell, you might get shot even if you're covered with orange.
And that's exactly why I only hunt in my own back yard. Every single year without exception some bone head shoots a guy or a dog or a horse or a house thinking it was a deer. I can't tell you how many times I've heard two or more hunters empty their shotguns, asumedly at a running deer. Ten shots from two shotguns! You think those nit wits gave a shit where their slugs went?
Screw the orange vest. I wouldn't go out there in a flak jacket and helmet.

Mind my own business. f***ing people in Massachusetts, are you all pre-conditioned to be nanny statist cuckholds with accents that make you sound like you have downs or are you just products of the vile disgusting new england environment?
Says the resident, state hopping, orange haired, gear queer Rambo... [rolleyes] Must be nice, not having to buy your own orange hat.[rofl]

Last edited:
I guess I'd figger it would be a good time to have a couple bites of my sandwich and maybe a swig of coffee if there's any left in the thermos seein as it's prolly gonna pretty quiet for the next little bit after Elmer goes stumbling on by. Maybe take a leak as well.

Back
Top Bottom