• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What do you consider to be a high round count in terms of firearms?

Eric H

NES Member
Thought this would bring up some interesting discussion...

What do you personally consider to be a high round count in terms of firearms? Does it differ between .22 rimfire pistols and rifles, to shotguns, to rifles; whether defensive in use or precision/competition oriented? Does degredation in perfomance a primary decision in your consideration, or overall wear?

What sparked this idea was that I recently passed the 14K round count mark in my Canik TP9SFL and it is still running marvelously, and I will be posting a thread with pictures featuring how it's been wearing. Along the same theme, I also estimated I have at least 15-16K rounds through my CZ 612 Trap gun... been running great and slaying clays since I picked it up a few years back. I know some Competitive pistol and shotgun shooters will shoot upwards of 10K per year, easily.

Depends on what it is and what caliber it's chambered in. 10,000 rounds in a centerfire handgun of any worth is not a whole hell of a lot. On the other hand you take some weirdo rifle calibers that run at high velocities and the barrels can be pretty much toast in a few thousand rounds or less.

-Mike

I can tell you my agency does rebuilds at a documented 6k round count. I'm way over that with no issues yet. It would probably be wise to refresh the springs where you are. Heat is a sandy beach for the springs.

I still have an issued HnK USP, all the other plebs have the P2K. My night sights are gone as well, but honestly, those only work for the first round in a real 'night' scenario. I forget the torture test they put the new Glocks through, but it was a lot of bullets.

Depends on what it is and what caliber it's chambered in. 10,000 rounds in a centerfire handgun of any worth is not a whole hell of a lot. On the other hand you take some weirdo rifle calibers that run at high velocities and the barrels can be pretty much toast in a few thousand rounds or less.

-Mike
This. A 22-250 at 4,000 feet per second is going to kill a barrel a lot quicker than a different cartridge.

BCM ran one of their rifles c. 30,000 rounds before it started having stoppages.

I run about 15k rounds annually through my skeet gun. The manufacturer considers that "light use".

The first year I put 14K rounds through the CZ 612, I havent been shooting Clay's nearly as much since with the current work schedule.

What make is your Skeet gun?

I have a Remington Nylon 66 .22 rifle that I bought new in 1972.
Round count estimate is probably 30,000 or more.

A Remington Nylon 66 was the 1st firearm I ever purchased back in '63'. No licenses back then, no FFL, walk in to Western Auto and buy ammo no questions. I never even cleaned it. Three years later at Ft Dix I shot 'top gun' in Basic never having fired a center-fire rifle. Sweet rifle

i have a smith 4013 pistol i bought new when it came out ~'90-91. i lost the log book for it a couple of years ago but at the time it had 55k rounds thru it, maybe 60k by now. mostly lead reloads but a respectable amount of jacketed also. barrel is still crisp and sharp, no erosion that i can see by eye. in fact the whole pistol looks like it found the fountain of youth, still looks new and is tight almost 29 years later. it was the only pistol i took when i moved to colorado and i shot the snot out of it before i started buying other guns there, carried it daily and used it in belly gun side matches at ipsc events. still stretch its legs now and again, it still can hold a decent group. i posted a pic here once before, i can't find it just now to show it

Not only does caliber matter, so does the manufacturer.
My SW 1911 had about 60K thru in and it was a mess. Barrel rifling was still good, but everything else had issues and the gun was beating itself to death

My 2011 built by Dan Bedell had 50K thru it and it still locked up super tight and had no issues, the barrel was starting to get a little slow.

I know of an out of state gun shop that had a range and a few rental guns. A Glock 17 of theirs had an estimated 165k through it before they sent it to Glock for a check and rebuild. Precautionary on their end because it still functioned fine.

I have a s&w 629 5" that must've had at least 20k through it, mostly hot jsp reloads. Accurate, works just fine but I just about shot the barrel off it literally. A gunsmith got it back in shape and and pinned it for me. Other than that, still accurate!

-Mike

Even mainstream calibers like .223 can cook a match barrel in 2-5 thousand rounds. Things like button rifling vs cut rifling, type of steel used, even chamber reamer used, make a big difference in longevity. So yeah caliber matters, also use, build method, quality, and I’m sure other things. In summary, it depends.

one of my S&W model 41 .22 target pistols has well over 100K rounds. My 1958 Colt Python has a round count over 40K. both still shoot fine... soft lead bullets and light loads will do that but someone needs to dig up the story of old dirty - the FAL that won't die...

What ammo your putting through makes a difference especially with magnum calibers. My Ruger sp101 lasted 7 years before I sent it back to Ruger because the forcing cone eroded. I don't track round count exactly but figure 30-50 rounds a week for 7 years maybe 15k. 90% of it was 125 grain hot 357 mag. Lighter projos I'm magnum loads on a 357 wear a forcing cone faster because the bullet exits the cylinder faster leaving much more hot gas in the forcing cone area. That's what Ruger told me anyway. They replaced the barrel free of charge as Ruger does most of the time. Pix of my eroded forcing cone below and the after Ruger service for comparison. Guess my point is if your loads are spicy you'll wear shit out faster so longevity depends on what your putting through it for ammo. I'm quite sure if I had been putting much more 38 spec and 158 grain magnum loads through it the cone would have lasted much longer. 20190620_203149.jpg
20190711_195824.jpg

Now that's a close-up! Thing looks like a clay sewer-pipe.
That barrel now resides in the Sturm-Ruger Museum...
20190620_203149-jpg.309053

Now that's a close-up! Thing looks like a clay sewer-pipe.
That barrel now resides in the Sturm-Ruger Museum...
20190620_203149-jpg.309053
It was beyond eroded lol

Still shot accurate though.

Ruger replaced the barrel, cleaned it to like new, and polished out all the handling marks. It looked like a new gun when I got it back. Cost me $20 to ship it to them.
20190711_193237.jpg

I guess I am just sloppy but to be honest I don't know how many rounds I have put through my guns. I know that I have some that I shoot a lot and some I rarely shoot, but none of them have odometers on them.
Same. I have an approximate estimate of round count based on tracking my bullet orders for calibers I reload for. Also the number of matches I shoot each year then multiplying the approx round count for each match.

Even mainstream calibers like .223 can cook a match barrel in 2-5 thousand rounds. Things like button rifling vs cut rifling, type of steel used, even chamber reamer used, make a big difference in longevity. So yeah caliber matters, also use, build method, quality, and I’m sure other things. In summary, it depends.
Back in the 1950s, a wildcatter named Harvey Donaldson tested barrel life. He invented the .219 Donaldson Wasp, which is still a wildcat high velocity varmint round. He heard of barrel erosion problems with the .220 Swift and decided to check it out. Slow fire, allowing the barrel to cool between shots and constant cleaning gave him 10,000 accurate shots.

Depends on if I’m buying or selling.

Seriously, as others have said, it depends on many factors: caliber, ammo, how well the gun is taken of, etc.

I guess I am just sloppy but to be honest I don't know how many rounds I have put through my guns. I know that I have some that I shoot a lot and some I rarely shoot, but none of them have odometers on them.
yeah, that's cool. but something i have always done is keep a small notebook with my pistols, don't bother with the rifles. as soon as i get the box of a new pistol home, i toss a notebook in. first entry is of course date purchased, price, from where and then i start the clock. i have a touch of ocd, i like lists and making them. i also arrange books, cd's in neat lines. can't help it, it's a sickness. started to slow down on it though as i get older.

The most important thing to remember is that when you go sell it, it only 200-300 rds thru it.
This is the first NES thread I have ever seen where anyone admitted to owning a firearm with over 500 rounds through it. I need to make note in case these guns later show up on the Classified with low round counts...

Back
Top Bottom