What do you consider essential to a carry 1911 build?

I will first be building the AR once the lower comes in, but 1911 bug is biting me good.

I got back from Derr Precision today and saw many nice works-in-progress. My focus primarily is carry guns. I have little motivation to buy range toys as I don't participate in any of the games. What I would like to do is eventually build a commander-length, officer's framed gun like the S&W Compact ES, possibly bobtailed.

What kind of features on a custom build would you recommend for a carry-driven 1911?

Reliability can be achieved by.....polishing and throating the feed ramp? Is there anything that needs to be done to a gun's internals to achieve better reliability?

Barrel choice, magwell, recoil spring, slide to frame fitment......any of that stuff need to be different than that of a tack driving 1911?

Reliability can be achieved by.....polishing and throating the feed ramp? Is there anything that needs to be done to a gun's internals to achieve better reliability?

Barrel choice, magwell, recoil spring, slide to frame fitment......any of that stuff need to be different than that of a tack driving 1911?

I'm sure Greg is more that capable of configuring a reliable carry 1911 to suit all your needs. Take his advice. He knows what he's doing.
All you're going to decide on is the secondary stuff. Sights, controls, trigger, trigger pull etc.
If it's a carry gun, especially a commander length, it doesn't necessarilly have to be or going to be a "tack driver".
Just my 2 cents.

Reliability is achieved by proper fit of quality parts. Polishing the feed ramp is only need if there are deep scratches on the ramp. Think how dirty the ramp is when you get done shooting. Polishing may help a little and it certainly will not hurt but its the answer for reliability problems. 1911 should be able to feed empty cases.

I would also use an extended ejector, it will get the case out sooner. Just make sure its tuned to allow ejection of loaded rounds

What I would like to do is eventually build a commander-length, officer's framed gun like the S&W Compact ES, possibly bobtailed.

You may have seen my SW 1911ES there, I dropped it off before the SHOT show for Greg to go through it and add Trijicon sights. The ES is assembled, with very wide (read: loose) tolerances. Nothing was 'fit'. An aluminum frame/stainless slide combo that's meant to run on the loose side. If you do get that specific model, I can suggest getting a new trigger fit by Greg, in addition to reviewing if your safety has a good positive action or not. My trigger was horrible, and the safety had a vague 1/2-way notchy feeling that was not positive. This design has a ramp on the frame, not the barrel, so it will see some wear as the rounds feed.

There are other brands out there that have a stainless ramp integrated into the barrel which takes the load rather than the frame of their carry series. This might be a consideration if you plan on feeding a LOT of carry-nosed rounds through the item. I guess over a long long time if the ramp on the frame is worn you can consider having an insert milled into place.

Night sights would be a big plus! Snag free on the SW's is tough, the ES and others have front cocking searations.

Stay away from extended safety, slide stop and mag release buttons.
The stock ones don't get in the way like the larger ones do.

I agree with avoiding extended slide stop, but I think "Tactical" extended safeties and mag releases are must-have items. It really depends on what you like, I guess.

Back
Top Bottom