• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What do you consider a 'shooter' buck in MA?

StevieP

NES Member
asked this question on the game camera thread below, but thought it might generate a bit more interest on its own...

What do you consider a 'shooter' buck in Mass? How big does he have to be before you'd take the shot?

Maybe a better question would be "How small of a rack size makes one too small to shoot?" Do you often pass up on a buck hoping he'll make it to next year?

Or is it "If it's a buck with antlers, and it's within range, I'll shoot it regardless?" i.e. "If I don't take it, somebody else will, so why not?"

In MA if I see any horns my safety is disengaged. If I see one horn 3" long it's go time.
The area I hunt in NY state requires 3 points on one side.

I try to hold off for a good 4 point or larger. It doesn't always happen though[wink]. It depends how far through the season it is. Around here the woods are for the most part so small (unless in the state forest) if I don't shoot it someone else will. There isn't enough hiding room for them. If there was more woods and I though they might get the chance to grow bigger it would probably make passing one up easier.

Last edited:
personally if it does,nt have spots and it gives me a shot it's dead. Priority number one is feeding myself all year. After i have one in the freezer then mabey i look for a trophy.

First adult deer that walks past me gets a free trip to my freezer, doe or buck. Adult meaning at least 100ish pounds or so with a long nose. After that I let all small racked deer walk in hopes of a P&Y biggun.

Anything at this point, as I've been hunting only a few years. My bow kills have been a spike and a four pointer, so I'm looking forward to stepping it up! I can dream can't I? My good friend, with dozens under his belt, said keep shooting all shapes and sizes until you've had enough, they're all trophies 'til then.

But like Arlow said, the first one goes in the fridge.

I stopped watching "The Bucks of Tecamonte" (sp?), because those monsters don't live around here.

I passed up an 8 pointer last season because he was only a small 4 point the previous year, and still hadn't put on that much weight. One more year and he would have been really nice. One of my neighbors got him the last day of the season.
The doe I got weighed twice what that buck did. We have a lopsided ratio of doe to buck, so I only will shoot a mature buck, four years old or more.
Here's the one I passed on:

DeerCoonNcat_11.jpg

CDY_ADB0010.jpg

Hadnt put on much weight??? Thats a 150-175 pound deer all day long!!! Your nuts to pass on that in mass with two buck tags in your pocket!!!

I passed up an 8 pointer last season because he was only a small 4 point the previous year, and still hadn't put on that much weight. One more year and he would have been really nice. One of my neighbors got him the last day of the season.
The doe I got weighed twice what that buck did. We have a lopsided ratio of doe to buck, so I only will shoot a mature buck, four years old or more.
+1.
This states deer management sucks.IMHO I think you should get doe tags with you license and apply for the buck tag.Build the herd,some states are earn a buck for the same reasons.After all doe is stil meat in the freezer.

+1.
This states deer management sucks.IMHO I think you should get doe tags with you license and apply for the buck tag.Build the herd,some states are earn a buck for the same reasons.After all doe is stil meat in the freezer.

The doe permit system the state uses is the best in the northeast. Yes it could use some tweaks but you cannot just give every hunter a doe permit and expect to control the doe kill. They know how many does can be taken in each zone to reach population objectives. They also have a good idea of what percentage of the doe permits are filled each year in each zone. Thus they give out a certain number of doe permits with a specific goal of how many does they need taken to keep/get the densities where they need to be for that specific zone. The Mass deer herd is actually quite healthy and balance compared to most other northeast states. If you look at the number of big bucks mass turns out it is quite amazing for this part of the country. Mass wildlife is actually doing a very good job managing the deer population IMHO.

Back
Top Bottom