What do you consider a good group at about 30'?

Ammo plays alot in how you and your pistol will do . This is a test at 25 yards with 185 or 200 grain SWC i forget. With different powder charges. This bullet and SW 1911 play well together. Run bulk 230 ball and lucky to keep them all in the black. I have a 230 fmj load that will hold the 10 ring
This is a cery good group for me.
For me most days im a 3 moa rifle shooter prone with sling. My accuracy standard had dropped due to lack of practice so minute of black is good for me. So thats 18moa for pistol38602DEB-7A39-4C24-97D8-7D8C0F74B5FC.jpeg

Last edited:
Not rapid fire, but not slow fire either. 50' off hand - 230 grn .45 ACP Federal target ammo-5" barrel- . There is only so much accuracy to be had from factory target ammo. Match grade stuff shoots better than Winchester White Box.
1596372881529.png

Same distance, 50' feet. Off Hand - 240 grn - 44 mag - 6-1/2" Barrel. Also Federal target ammo. Had to look close on this one because at first I only counted 5 rounds. I am sure there are guys that can make on ragged hole, and maybe if I practiced more I could too, but for the most part the boolits go where I want them to.

1596373823623.png

Not rapid fire, but not slow fire either. 50' off hand - 230 grn .45 ACP Federal target ammo-5" barrel- . There is only so much accuracy to be had from factory target ammo. Match grade stuff shoots better than Winchester White Box.
View attachment 377570

Same distance, 50' feet. Off Hand - 240 grn - 44 mag - 6-1/2" Barrel. Also Federal target ammo. Had to look close on this one because at first I only counted 5 rounds. I am sure there are guys that can make on ragged hole, and maybe if I practiced more I could too, but for the most part the boolits go where I want them to.

View attachment 377572
Darned nice!

Inside range with a small carry gun and iron sights, as long as they are on paper that's good enough. But I'm old and in the dimlight, I can't see the front site very well. Give me a bright fiber optic or dot and I'm not happy if they aren't in the ten ring.
In my younger days, with smallbore, I was mad as hell if it wasn't a single hole.

Sorry for the snarky reply but, since the OP mentions self-defense, at thirty feet I think OP would have more significant issues to defend than group size.

On the bright side, until the commie flu is defeated six-foot social distancing rules now preclude the possibility of being stabbed.

Sorry for the snarky reply but, since the OP mentions self-defense, at thirty feet I think OP would have more significant issues to defend than group size.

On the bright side, until the commie flu is defeated six-foot social distancing rules now preclude the possibility of being stabbed.
You’re welcome to join us up here in NH
Read my sig

On a more serious note, reaction distance is between 15 and 20 and under 10 is just point and shoot. So 30 gives you a little more in practice without going to extremes that won’t help

Hey - small groups at 30' mean even SMALLER groups at 10'. Practice at multiple distances. Be better tomorrow than you are today. That's all we should be striving for.

Back a billion years ago, I went to SIG school. One-hole drills at 7yds. What a pain those were. Definitely not one holes. LOL

20'-30' with a pistol? I'm happy to put multiple holes in a "man sized target" at a rapid pace. generally like to be no worse than the size of a man's hand splayed open. This would keep it all in a man's chest area. Generally, my shots are all within the area "covered" by my own "splayed hand." If I get "wide" they end up with shoulder issues the rest of their lives. Low means they are gut shot (and that's not bad.) If I am taking a little more time, I can put 2 shots in the skull next to each other just above the nose.

Obviously who knows what would happen under stress in a real world situation. Yeah, I know, "my groups" won't be as good but then again, your little tight groups at the range won't be so tight either. Hopefully it will never happen. Now, rifles, that's another story.

So he's expecting pre-staged multiple targets with a timer to indicate a start, and he'll just happen to have a tricked out pistol, rig, and probably even special mags. Real World? [wink]

Not saying this competition is easy, it's NOT. Just saying that if you're practicing for self defence you should at the minimum be using your daily carry.
I thought that was his daily carry. You should see him shoot his competition pistol...

I might as well get my two cents worth in.

476C6319-1955-4793-B7EF-5C7F6B542F92.jpeg
What’s good at 30 ft ? Cloverleafs starting from my holstered Hi-power clone. Draw & fire 2 & 3 shot quickly fired groups. Thats with a new pistol and not a lot of practice. [smile]

Last edited:
I might as well get my two cents worth in.

View attachment 378132
What’s good at 30 ft ? Cloverleafs starting from my holstered Hi-power clone. Draw & fire 2 & 3 shot quickly fired groups. Thats with a new pistol and not a lot of practice.
I can’t walk much after the accident but I still got my eye - hand coordination. [smile]

Ya shot em in the tooosticals!

50ft distance, not 30. Deliberate slow fire off hand.
Full disclosure: none of these were my worst group :) .

Attachments

• 50ft.JPG
    50ft.JPG
    56.3 KB · Views: 17
  • b.jpg
    b.jpg
    136.7 KB · Views: 15
Target 6 was at 10 yards. 30 feet. Slow fire to piss off the instructor who had a 'newbie' student in her class.

The rest were fired as fast as I could pull the trigger.

Attachments

• Target.jpg
    Target.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 17
With people posting target I felt compelled to post my own. Unfortunately I don't have any at 30' rapid fire, I'll have to get some this weekend. But in the meantime, from my trip to the CMP Marksman Center 200yds with my newly acquired 1953 IH all original Garand. The armorer pulled it from the warehouse for me (hand selected), I wanted an IH that was "a good shooter". I was not disappointed.
1596760241223.png
Yes, I'm cherry picking the target, this was best of the day.

For new shooters, how long before you should be able to have tight groups like this from 7 yards? I’ve only got iron sights - was also wondering how much of a difference optics makes on a 1911 or 9mm.

Back
Top Bottom