• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What do you collect?

Everyone is different so what do you collect?

Bolt-Actions;
Mauser's? or Mosin's? or 303 britt's different?

Semi-Autos;
SKS's or FN49's or French 49-49/56's or AK's different?

Handguns;
Tokarev's, 1911's, Star's, Lugers, P38's, Astra's?

Or do you like everything or just a little of everything? There is some that are unique and different too.

I started off with mausers but when i found out there was 1,000 different ones there was no way I could get all of them so i kind of went with what ever was available at the time. I like them all but just a little bit of everything will do. I kind of hate it when i go looking for one thing and find another but thats how it goes sometimes. I stretch my saved up mad money as far as it will go but there never is enough so it seems.

Only rifles?
I have a few military rifles, but my collecting interest is military sidearms of the two world wars. To some collectors, that would be much too broad a focus, or lack focus entirely. I like the variety, though.
The opposite is a narrower, more specialized focus. Col. Charles Pate spent years researching and collecting secondary U.S. handguns of WWII, and produced the best written and documented book on the subject. It's amazing how many different revolvers and pistols from Smith & Wesson, Colt. High Standard, H&R, and Iver Johnson were taken into service.
JT

Only have one Military Pistol. Walther P38 AC44. Has the "two tone" finish, 2 mags, all matching & 1 box of ammo. Was a gift from the soldier who captured it in Dec of 44, Aachen Germany.

I collect just about everything, except for pistols which I only have one, a CZ-52, but i've been thinking of a Nagant revolver.
I started with a K98 Mauser after playing Medal of Honor online, then a Mosin Nagant 91/30 sniper after seeing Enemy at the Gates, and it snowballed from there. Now my collection ranges from Turkish Mausers to British Enfields, to Mosin Nagants ( I just got a really nice Finn M39 today with great swirled/striped grain stock :D )

663956b0.jpg

and even military 22 trainers.
I've been meaning to expand my semi auto collection though with an SVT, Hakim, and eventually a Gewehr 43.

Tips for safety

Just some info on adjustable gas systems;

The SVT-40 Tokarev shoots like a long sks but it shoots great. You just have to make sure the gas valve is adjusted to the ammo your shooting. If this gun has a lot of recoil and it can have as much as getting hit with a baseball bat if the gas valve is open too much. Its the bolt carrier slamming the back of the receiver because of it having too much gas. To adjust the valve has small numbers and scribed lines the lines must be lined up perfectly so very the small gas ports will work otherwise the gun won't function. I have noticed that the SVT-40 seems to like the 1.3 setting but it depends on your ammo too so start small and work your way up until it cycles and locks open on the last round by firing one round at a time and adjusting it. On this gun the gas valve adjusts/meters how much gas the system sees to cycle it so the lower the setting is the better it is.

The Egyptain 8mm Hakim has an adjustable gas valve too. With this gun if the gas valve is open too much the bolt carrier can pull out the fired case too soon while before the bullet has left the barrel while the breech pressure is still present making the situation seem like an out of battery firing but its not. On the Hakim/Rasheed you turn the gas valve all the way clockwise is fully off. Then you turn it one click at a time, and fire one round at a time until the bolt carrier locks back "last round fired empty mag" then its on the lowest setting. Now your ready to try a few rounds and check the function. On this gun the gas valve adjusts/meters how much gas the system sees to cycle it so the more closed it is the better it is. The egyptain 8mm hakim has very little recoil when its adjusted correctly.

The FN49 gas valve is different it adjusts how much gas is "exhausted" from the system so the more its open the better it is. You can turn the sleeve to its largest setting and close it until it cycles and the bolt carrier locks open "last round fired empty mag". Then try a few rounds and if its ok your good to go.

We must readjust the gas valve everytime we change to different brands of ammo. If we don't we are wearing out & hammering the receivers/bolt carriers and maybe taking a chance of hurting ourselves too. These are awesome guns and when we do it right we will have many years of fun shooting. Please do it right besafe.

BTW; If your shooting one and it doesn't feel right "too much recoil" stop and adjust the gas valve. I have seen pics of blown out mags and broken stocks and it could of been worse too. Do it right.

Mostly Finnish rifles and Mauser's to date. I also have FN49, Mas 49/56, SVT40, Hakim, SKS's, NM M1A, Garand, Swde's, M1 carbine, Bushy Varminter, 03's and 03a3's, .22 US trainers. and many other kinds of milsurps. The rifle has to jump out at me and say "Take me home".

Milsurps 4 Me and JimR:

What's the best place to get the M39 online? I'm anticipating my C&R, and that's going to be my first purchase.

I'm talking not only best condition for the best price, but also your feeling of "comfort" with the dealer. There seems to be a pretty wide variety of guns offered at a number of different places. I've been checking out the links from the cruffler website, and the prices seem all over the place.

Also - any opinion on best manufacturer in terms of accuracy? Sako or Tikka? B-barrel?

Thanks!

USMA-82 said:
Milsurps 4 Me and JimR:

What's the best place to get the M39 online? I'm anticipating my C&R, and that's going to be my first purchase.

I'm talking not only best condition for the best price, but also your feeling of "comfort" with the dealer. There seems to be a pretty wide variety of guns offered at a number of different places. I've been checking out the links from the cruffler website, and the prices seem all over the place.

Also - any opinion on best manufacturer in terms of accuracy? Sako or Tikka? B-barrel?

Thanks!

As mentioned, check out www.gunboards.com That is my normal gun hangout. I just found out about this website. ALL the M39 makers in my opinion are fine. None of the guns outshoots the other that I have seen. I have quite a few of them and have seen no difference in shooting them. Right now the prices are high on them because the people that have the most of them are going through legal battles with the BATF. They are only selling antique receivered M39's right now. They are WGA Wholesale Guns and Ammo or who originally were Burns Brothers. I think you could do just as well at a gunshow for one. You can get to see the rifle and check out the rifleing. As far as collectability. The Tikka is one of the rarest. The "B" barrel is a Belguim barrel and they are nice guns. Sako and VKT are of equal quality. Late year guns are costly and harder to find. Those being rifles made from 1967-1973 with no maker marks on them. If I had a choice of all of them I would buy the Tikka first and the "B" barrel second. One thing I do need tos tress on here. many of these rifles are in pristine condition with shiny bright bores. Some of them that I have seen and heard about have worn rifleing. It is as advertised with a shiny bright bore but worn out in my opinion. Are you looking for a collectors piece or a shooter grade rifle?

Well, I don't collect guns so they can sit in the safe. And if the thing is not accurate to some degree, who needs it?

So I guess I'd like a shooter that looks great - not necessarily a "collector grade" specimen, which just gives folks an excuse to charge outrageous prices. I don't mind the nicks and cuts in a stock that give it character, and it certainly doesn't have to have "100% of bluing" - but the condition of the bore is most important to me.

I'm still floored by the number of vendors selling these things after looking at the gunboard lists.

Man, my wallet hurts already, and I don't even have the C&R license yet!

I'm not sure you can get a 39 on line, they're not too plentiful. I got my 38 from SOG (thru a dealer, I live in Ma) but had to find my 39 in a dealers shop. The 38 looked new/unused with all matching numbers. The 39 is in excellent but used condtion- all matching, the wood had been refinished but very nicely.

3839.jpg

USMA-82 said:
Well, I don't collect guns so they can sit in the safe. And if the thing is not accurate to some degree, who needs it?

So I guess I'd like a shooter that looks great - not necessarily a "collector grade" specimen, which just gives folks an excuse to charge outrageous prices. I don't mind the nicks and cuts in a stock that give it character, and it certainly doesn't have to have "100% of bluing" - but the condition of the bore is most important to me.

I'm still floored by the number of vendors selling these things after looking at the gunboard lists.

Man, my wallet hurts already, and I don't even have the C&R license yet!

The sad part is the price on Finnish guns is not going to go down. There are no more Finnish rifles in Finland to be shipped to the US. From what I have heard, all have been bought up and are here now. There are approximately 12,000 M39's left to be sold. I believe WGA and Tennessee Guns has most of them. Aim also has quite a few for sale recently. I see the M39's at shows all the time. Some prices are high and others are pretty decent. At least at a show you can see the rifleing and decide if that is the gun for you. Bores on M39's are supposed to be .310. I've seen them worn as much as .313. For a gun like that to shoot decent you need to reload for it using 303 British .312 bullets. Once you get your C&R FFL you can kiss your spare money goodbye. It is a disease that is hard to cure. One other place to check is here for a M39. http://www.gunboards.com/forums/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=26

Pilgrim said:
I'm not sure you can get a 39 on line, they're not too plentiful. I got my 38 from SOG (thru a dealer, I live in Ma) but had to find my 39 in a dealers shop. The 38 looked new/unused with all matching numbers. The 39 is in excellent but used condtion- all matching, the wood had been refinished but very nicely.

3839.jpg

Just to give you a headsup on these like new unused guns that are flooding the market. They are all re-arsenalled guns. Most have forced matched or electro-penciled numbers on them. I have yet to see one that wasn't used.

A few years ago Southern Ohio gun had M39's in Excellent condition that were more like new condition they were awesome and they didn't last long. These were the best M39's I have ever seen all stamped numbers and new looking wood and 100% bluing too. They show up on gunboards for sale every now and then.

USMA-82 said:
Wow! That picture reminds me of Pack and Postal in Lancaster, MA. Have any of you guys been there recently? I didn't notice any M39's.

Thanks, but I don't want to compete with Joe. I haven't been there in awhile. Joe is a good guy to do business with. It is a fun place to visit.

USMA-82 said:
Hey Jim -

How long did it take to collect all that? I take it you are one of those lucky folks who has a room devoted to nothing but Milsurps....

I want to say about 4-5 years for all of them. I hit just about every gunshow around MA., wholesalers and dealers all over. I just don't have Milsurps.
Varminter1.jpg

ScopedM1A.jpg

Jim, I just checked your web link. I need to get a Mosin bolt properly bent to assemble a somewhat proper 91/30 Sniper. I want it bent to the correct configuration to use with a PU scope, and I want to use my bolt. How much?

Nickle said:
Jim, I just checked your web link. I need to get a Mosin bolt properly bent to assemble a somewhat proper 91/30 Sniper. I want it bent to the correct configuration to use with a PU scope, and I want to use my bolt. How much?

They are $48.00 polished and delivered using your bolt. I've had to go up a Buck for postal charges last week. It will look just like a real sniper bolt as you see in those pictures.

Nickle said:
Turn around time, approximately?

And does the bolt need to be stripped first?

One month, send the whole bolt and you get it all polished up. Email me for an address.
The rifle is the real McCoy. The bottom bolts are mine.
snibolts.jpg

USMA-82, The rifle in the picture I posted a few days ago was bought from WGA for $179. The rifling is ok, not very sharp, and the bore is bright. Its all matching inlcuding the floor plate. Bluing was about 20% and the stock as you can see has the cool Finn marbled wood that I lust for. [lol]
I got a sling thrown in and the rifle was shipped and at my door about three or four days after ordering it, I'm in South Eastern, Mass.
I cleaned it last night and shot it today. With winds blowing at a steady 10 to 15mph with higher gusts of 20+, I still was able to shoot tight with silver tip milsurp ammo at 100 yards using my range bag for a rest. :D
Here are some pics I took a few mins ago.

abeb095a.jpg

bac2dec5.jpg

Now I ask you, for $175, how can you go wrong?!? I've seen rifles like this for over $200 at local shows and the sellers won't budge on price. The only other place you might find a nice Finn is a local shop where the dealer doesn't know what he has as far as market value goes. $100 got me my first Finn, an 1895 Sest. M91 with all matching numbers from Richies in Westport.
Right before WGA lost their license to sell non-antique rifles the owner and I had a lengthy discussion about Finn Mosin Nagants and he told me there were enough Finns in this country to where they will never be gone.
http://gunsnammo.com/
Check their page as it updates every day usually with new listings. There a few now for under $200 that I would grab if I didn't already have three. Just remember, the Finns used their rifles so don't expect a mint piece, just a damn good shooter. And if you grab one with a split in the wood, make sure its only in the handguard and not behind the receiver.

Back
Top Bottom