What do they ask during the interview

My wife has an appointment on Monday with the licensing officer for her LTC. She took the course under protest about 7 years ago and just now feel that she want her permit. As I was licensed over 25+ years ago and I didn't really have a proper interview (officer was a friend) I have no clue what to tell her to expect. Any help is appreciated.

Depends on the town. I live in Taunton and there was no interview. Just paperwork, fingerprints and a photo.

Same as above in Danvers. Wasnt really an interview at all. Prints, pics, check to make sure info is correct, and out in maybe 15 min or so.

My licensing officer just filled out fhe form. Just small talk. Haverhill mass is very green.

My interview was just going over the app.

Don't they require you to have had the course within a year now?
I don't think so. Three years ago no one said a word about my 3-4 year old course cert.

There was an interview in my town, but it was pretty informal, with no real hardball or curveball questions. It was pretty much why do you want an LTC, what's your experience level with firearms, that kind of thing. Certainly nothing to be nervous about. Municipalities vary, of course, and some might give you a harder time than others.

Echo the above. No interrogation; the officer and I talked about adoption (he had adopted a child, and my wife and I want to).

I remember one question.

Q: What do you want it for?
A: All legal uses.
Q: Yes, of course but what do you want it for?
Q: Ok, fine...

I remember one question.

Q: What do you want it for?
Q: Yes, of course but what do you want it for?
Q: Ok, fine...

My officer didn't ask any of those questions, just took fingerprints and asked my name or something. 90% of the time was doing the fingerprints.

I just stood there awkwardly waiting for a question. He ignored me and filled out the same app I'd just filled out. At the very end, he told me an anecdote about a previous applicant stopping him in a local restaurant to ask about the status of his app. The point of the story was that I shouldn't do that.

It was not what I expected.

Something tells me that the best way to get things done is to talk about your grandchildren and golf, preferable aboard a private plane during a chance encounter. This will surely get you that unrestricted LTC.

My interviews have each lasted about 1 to 1.5 hours. That was about 99% talking about bikes and 1% just confirming stuff on the application.

There is no statutory "out of date" time frame per MGLs for a safety or Hunter Ed cert. for LTC issuance.

Some towns don't follow the law, though.

Actually, if you had a valid license prior to June 1 1998, the cert. is not required.

https://malegislature.gov/Laws/GeneralLaws/PartI/TitleXX/Chapter140/Section131P

But did the course given 7 years ago meet the same requirements the course must meet today?
I was told, as was my daughter that the course certificate was only good for one year.

Seems to be a common belief.

Something tells me that the best way to get things done is to talk about your grandchildren and golf, preferable aboard a private plane during a chance encounter. This will surely get you that unrestricted LTC.

I see what you did there.

But did the course given 7 years ago meet the same requirements the course must meet today?
I was told, as was my daughter that the course certificate was only good for one year.

Seems to be a common belief.

If you got the MSP Cert for a listed course:

http://www.mass.gov/eopss/agencies/...asic-firearms-safety-course-list-updated.html

then it meets the requirements.

If the town said, "It's only good for a year," then they made that up. Do they want a repeat of the test on renewal, as well? [rolleyes]

Won't be the first time that the PD made up their own [rules]

Blackstone...

"How's it going?"
"Already have your application filled out?"

That was it for his questions. Had my license in hand 18 days later.

Every town is different though.

They were tough on you :) They asked me if I had my certification and money. The chief filled out the application for me. Then a photo and finger prints. It did take me a bit longer to get my permit but that's a state thing.

My interview was just going over the app.

I don't think so. Three years ago no one said a word about my 3-4 year old course cert.

This. I had taken the course in 2009 and applied in 2012. No question whatsoever. All that was really talked about besides the application was me asking about a couple incidents from my teenage years to which the LO replied "Neither of those are statutory disqualifiers. Your fine.". Took maybe a half hour tops. I've heard the "cert expires in 1 year" BS before. And its just that. BS.

Back
Top Bottom