What do I need to know concerning an AR-15?

I'm currently deployed in Afghanistan and the unit I'm deployed with is offering an engraved, fully functional AR-15. I live in CT and would like to purchase this rifle. It has a colapsable stock. It gets sent to Ft.Hood, Tx first then I need to find a FFL dealer near my home in CT that it can be shipped to and stored until I am sent back stateside. What are the rules and laws for CT in having this rifle? I would appreciate any input as soon as possible due to the up coming order time frame..

Ok Kevlar.. Umm I'm not so up on what I just read.. So can I have it or not? This would be the first firearm I would own outside of the military.. So a bit clueless and I'm not an attorney to decypher it..LOL

I am not a lawyer either, but basically, if it is a Colt AR-15 or a Sporter, it is specifically banned by name. If it is any other brand, it is legal in CT, but it cannot have a threaded barrel, flash suppressor, bayo lug or collapsible stock (unless the rifle was manufactured in that configuration prior to 9/14/94). A CT FFL should be able to make the necessary modifications to make it compliant (replace flash hider with a permanently attached muzzle brake or compensator, remove the bayo lug and pin the stock). Hope this helps.

That really sucks... So they pin the stock back or forward? I'll have to look at the order form.. UGH CT stinks as usual.. I have the info you would care to look at it.. Not sure how to attach it to here though..

Good news...it's not a Colt, so it's not banned.

Bad news...you will have to modify it as described in my previous post.

RE: pinning the stock - you can have it pinned at any length you like. Fully collapsed, fully extended, or anywhere in between.

UGH... Who would I contact to get a rough price on the MODS. Dang why mess with something that isn't messed up?? Hmm What does that barrel end look like? Do you know?

It's a DPMS RFA2-AP4A 5.56 NATO carbine. Barrel is a 16" with A2 flash hider (birdcage)... Any of that mean anything to you?
My folding stock is pinned at the shortest detent. It could go a little bit shorter but it is where I want it. You would also have to change out the flash hider and would probably want to have them put a muzzle break in its place. It has to be permanently attached. You can do some research as to what break you would like. From what I have read I would like to have an FSC556 put on mine but the cost (gunsmith) to do it (on a non-threaded barrel) is more then I want to spend right now. If the AR that you would be getting has a threaded barrel then it shouldn’t cost too much to get it permanently attached.

UGH.. anything else they want to destroy on it.. My gawd is it worth me buying it with all of these silly MODS.. I'm going to basically have if on my wall and maybe go to the range once in a while.. Grrrr

Well that would be nice, but I'm a CT resident an I'm currently deployed to Afghanistan.. And I would have to order it no later then May 8th. And I don't leave here until Dec.. Starting to wonder if it is worth it or not.. It comes with two 30 round mags as well...

My understanding is only need a pistol permit and nothing for a rifle.. Which from reading everything people have been nice enough to help with after all the MODS it will be considered a rifle and not an assault weapon.

... My gawd is it worth me buying it with all of these silly MODS.. I'm going to basically have it on my wall and maybe go to the range once in a while.. Grrrr
"worth it" is a very personal thing. When you are 50 you will probably look back at your time deployed as a singularly memorable moment in your life. You have to ask yourself what momentos you want, and want to have to pass down to your kids.

Also, thank you for choosing to server your country. Because of you, and those before you, my 2 boys are growing up speaking English, not Russian, German, Japanese, French or The King's English.

Hey brother. I would get it just because it means something to you. Outside of taking off the lug you can covert it back if (or when) you move out of CT.

Thank you for your service! Keep your head down over there and come home safe! [iwojima]

I agree with the comments from CockpitBob above... a meaningful memento of your service with your unit will be passed on for generations. While touring the Springfield Armory recently, I noticed several rifles that were "personalized" by the Soldiers. Unfortunately, you can't keep the rifle that you carried overseas, and you can no longer "bring back" arms from the battlefield, so I think that this is the next best thing, unless it's cost-prohibitive.

I'm guessing that the lower is where they'll engrave it; if you ever move to a "free" state, you can always get a new upper dressed the way you want it, and restore the variable stock.

Well thank you all.. I really do appreciate this and I'm actually considering to buy it.. It is engraved on the side of the mag-well. And I did look a Compensator that is very nice looking.. Now my problem is finding a gunsmith/FFL dealer that I can have it shipped to that will do the work an store it for me until I get back.. So now hunting for that one..LOL

Well that would be nice, but I'm a CT resident an I'm currently deployed to Afghanistan.. And I would have to order it no later then May 8th. And I don't leave here until Dec.. Starting to wonder if it is worth it or not.. It comes with two 30 round mags as well...

Not sure about CT laws but the mags may be illegal as well, assuming they're new.

having jumped through the ar-15 hoops, everything on here is correct. Pistol permit required only for pistol (however you need to do the 14 day wait period/background check if you don't have the pistol permit) and you need to neuter your ar-15 with telescoping stock/bayonet lug/muzzle brake requirements. the stock can be in ANY position as long as it can't be modified by hand (you can have it legally shipped with stock removed if that makes getting the rifle to you easier, and then pinning it on your own time).

At least we don't have mag restrictions or bullet buttons in CT, eh comrades?

"worth it" is a very personal thing. When you are 50 you will probably look back at your time deployed as a singularly memorable moment in your life. You have to ask yourself what momentos you want, and want to have to pass down to your kids.

Also, thank you for choosing to server your country. Because of you, and those before you, my 2 boys are growing up speaking English, not Russian, German, Japanese, French or The King's English.

I still have my K-Bar from Viet Nam and glad I brought it home!

You do have another option. My company makes a ban compliant AR-15 stock adapter that replaces the pistol grip. So you can pick a different evil feature. Want to keep the threaded barrel? Adjustable stock? You can pick and choose. Of course many do choose the pistol grip but if you really would like to have a different "evil" feature, this is another option.

And thanks for your service!
-Mark
Exile Machine LLC
IMG_8497_C.JPG

Back
Top Bottom