• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What do after shooting someone in selfdefense.

Serious post: my plan is to call 911 and basically say "please send units to [address]; I was attacked and my life was in danger so I had no option but to defend myself with my legally carried firearm". Once officers show up, tell them the same and answer any and all follow-up questions with "I'm distressed over what just happened and would like to speak to an attorney before giving a statement". The way I see it, this establishes that I am not the aggressor; that I'm not a gang-banger and have an LTC; that I was threatened with death or serious bodily harm; that I am willing to cooperate; and this way I basically follow the "don't talk to the police advice" by not giving them anything that they could use against me. Just my 2c

By calling 911 and also asking for an ambulance for the perp, I feel that I've done my duty in "saving a life". I no longer keep my ARC First Responder or CPR current since I left the PD and I'm not about to risk a second attack/Hepatitis/Aids. That's what my criminal defense attorney is there for, to articulate rational reasons why I didn't try to rescue the perp after a shooting.

Serious post: my plan is to call 911 and basically say "please send units to [address]; I was attacked and my life was in danger so I had no option but to defend myself with my legally carried firearm". Once officers show up, tell them the same and answer any and all follow-up questions with "I'm distressed over what just happened and would like to speak to an attorney before giving a statement". The way I see it, this establishes that I am not the aggressor; that I'm not a gang-banger and have an LTC; that I was threatened with death or serious bodily harm; that I am willing to cooperate; and this way I basically follow the "don't talk to the police advice" by not giving them anything that they could use against me. Just my 2c

According to the people in the videos that claim they know, you have already given a statement to the police by spilling your guts to the 9** operator and then again telling the responding officer the same thing. According to those that claim they know, all of it can and will be used against you.

INAL, but I was always instructed to make contact with 911 so you are recorded as the complainant/victim. Mas Ayoob touched on this in his books.

Last edited by a moderator:
Since this thread is already filled with horrible advice on what to do right after shooting someone in self defense, have you guys thought about what comes after that?
- dealing with the other persons family and friends.
- losing your job.
- trial and possible prison time.

Since this thread is already filled with horrible advice on what to do right after shooting someone in self defense, have you guys thought about what comes after that?
- losing your job.

That's all included in the NRA Personal Protection classes. Most folks think that all they need to do is practice shooting skills . . . that's essential but hardly all there is to it.

An instructor for Mass. Firearms School--a Marine veteran, police officer and SWAT leader--teaches that in a self-defense situation there are four requirements: (1) survive physically; (2) survive criminal liability; (3) survive civil liability; and (4) live with your conscience.

Last edited:

That is a ton of talking for someone not giving a statement

- losing your job.

Most people have thought about it, but there are some things that are just beyond your personal control. Statistically you probably have a better chance of being hit by lightning than being involved in a defensive shooting. For those of us that live in Mass, and I know myself included, I would never even draw my firearm unless failing to do so would result in my death or that of my wife and kids.
Sorry, but that's the way it is. Not the teller at the bank, not the clerk at the Cumby's, just me, my wife and kids. Sorry Uncle Paul or Auntie Jen.

Once you have decided that this is the only reason to use your firearm, does anything else really matter? If the alternative to any of your questions is your child dies, who cares about your job or a trial? And while your points are certainly valid, and considering the repercussions ahead of time makes sense, it seems to me that when you holster your firearm, if you know you will only ever use it to prevent a death, nothing beyond that is relevant.
And, heaven forbid, the worst happens, the only word that comes out your mouth is Lawyer. Unless you need medical attention. Which is entirely possible because you will likely be shaking uncontrollably and puking your guts out.
Make sure your wife has that lawyers phone number too, because they are going to take your phone, wallet etc.

Without looking at advice yet, I'd think I would holster my weapon, call the police. When they arrive, say only "he/she was going to kill me" and ask for a lawyer. I'll check out the video now.

A thorough investigation is just that. Sometimes things aren't as they seem on the surface. So LE tries to see if there is a pre-disposition to kill (often reflected here on NES by members), prior run-in with same person, etc. Anything found will be used against you in court, count on it.

I think this is very, very, very good advice.

In today's world, anything you say online might as well be written down on a piece of paper and signed by you. There is a lack of consideration given to this fact by some on this extremely busy and well known regional firearms forum.

Unfortunately, the anonymity which characterized the early years of the internet is long gone. Unless you are actively and diligently pursuing anonymity (and even then) it doesn't exist.

Also who needs whatever pathogens might be in his blood. We don't usually have nitrile gloves on our belt/in our pockets as LE/EMS do.

Regardless of whether it's related to self defense or not, this is something to always keep in mind.

When I was working on boats as a teenager back in the day we had a student get whacked by the boom during a lesson. He was going to be OK, but he bled *a lot* all over the place. I was going to be the one cleaning it up and even before I started it suddenly occurred to me that I needed to be very, very careful about how I proceeded.

Hi Guys, this seems to be the most closely related thread to my question. Forgive me if its not.

Does the weapon you're using to defend yourself matter at all to the police/prosecution? Say for example you are carrying a handgun not on the EOPS/ AG-CMR940 approved lists. I have friends that carry MA compliant guns when they have the free state versions because they say a prosecutor will nail you to the wall saying you had an "unapproved" handgun. I could see it happening in court for sure to tilt a jury, but I'm still new to the gun community and would appreciate more feedback from more people who've have a lot more experience than a kid in his early 20's who got his permit 6 months ago.

This and then when the police show up you state you're not feeling well, grab your chest and lay on the ground. Immediate ambulance ride to the hospital that gives you time think about the event and have your lawyer show up!

Meanwhile, the cops are performing the white glove treatment in every orifice of your house.

No, but a prosecutor will still try to nail you to the wall in MA if you ever have to defend yourself anyway. The gun won't really matter.

Possession/carry of "unapproved" guns is perfectly legal per MGL . . . both the EOPS List and AG Regs ONLY apply to MA Dealers, not to ownership or private transfers.

No, but a prosecutor will still try to nail you to the wall in MA if you ever have to defend yourself anyway. The gun won't really matter.

Possession/carry of "unapproved" guns is perfectly legal per MGL . . . both the EOPS List and AG Regs ONLY apply to MA Dealers, not to ownership or private transfers.

Thanks Len, I appreciate it and that alleviates a lot worry/uncertainty of what I'm looking to buy for my new 9mm.

In today's world, anything you say online might as well be written down on a piece of paper and signed by you. There is a lack of consideration given to this fact by some on this extremely busy and well known regional firearms forum.
If you opt to testify in your trial, you can be asked questions on the stand like "What internet forums/chat rooms do you visit and what names do you go by?". Take the 5th, and it will look like you have something to hide. Plus, the court could rule that answering such a question was productive, rather than testimonial, and deny you the right to use the 5th (the same legal reasoning some courts use to deny 5A rights to persons wishing to retain encryption passwords).

Meanwhile, the cops are performing the white glove treatment in every orifice of your house.
It is a good practice to have locks on doors to bedrooms, basements, gun rooms, etc. Not only does it make such fishing expeditions much more difficult (I doubt an ambulance call would rate a search warrant or kicking down of doors), but can be very convenient when having delivery people or contractors in your house.

I was carted away by ambulance once - no PD involvement (medical situation, not violence), but we noticed the EMTs looking at everything in sight (long pause when they spotted my wife's DNP diploma on the wall).

A serious answer.

How do the police know that this isn't just a home invasion, but perhaps something that started elsewhere and moved to the house? Homeowner could have baited the person and then claimed self-defense, etc.

A thorough investigation is just that. Sometimes things aren't as they seem on the surface. So LE tries to see if there is a pre-disposition to kill (often reflected here on NES by members), prior run-in with same person, etc. Anything found will be used against you in court, count on it.

When you see video of a crime scene, you see police walking out with boxes/bags/computers/etc. That's what they do.

Outstanding post especially your statement about pre-disposition to kill. Today it is not your father's internet: 1. Most of the police are just or more computer literate as you are. The old dinosaurs are retiring or have adapted.2. Forget the anonymity of yesteryear, doesn't exist anymore. 3. The internet is forever. That flippant or angry remark you made three years ago is still out there somewhere and it can and will be used against you.

Last edited:
If you opt to testify in your trial, you can be asked questions on the stand like "What internet forums/chat rooms do you visit and what names do you go by?". Take the 5th, and it will look like you have something to hide. Plus, the court could rule that answering such a question was productive, rather than testimonial, and deny you the right to use the 5th (the same legal reasoning some courts use to deny 5A rights to persons wishing to retain encryption passwords).
Deny the right to use the 5th? Say, WHAT ?

Deny the right to use the 5th? Say, WHAT ?
Read the section on the US in the wikipedia article: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Key_disclosure_law#United_States

And, though it's Wikipedia, it contains references to the actual court cases it cites.

The only protection is "dummy encrypted files" with a random, unsaved, key. Good luck trying to prove you have not given over all your keys. In fact, you could not prove you did even if you wanted to.

I'll take my chances with the "Nike" defense any day. If I drop a BG, stone cold dead on camera in Stop & Shop after he's stabbed five people, I doubt the police will be devoting too many resources to IDing me. If they do manage to ID me somehow, I'm right back to where I would be if I had called them myself.

If they do manage to ID me somehow, I'm right back to where I would be if I had called them myself.
No, you would be starting the race a few steps behind and your attorney would spend a considerable amount of time trying to get over the "flight means you knew you did something wrong" impression.

Back
Top Bottom