• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What distance do you shoot.

I wood like to know what distance others shoot centerfire rifle.at the range i see some members shooting at 50 ft in the 100 range.usually ak shooters.it drives me crazy.tell me what distance you shoot centerfire rifle,with or whitout a scope.personally i shoot 100 yds minimum.

Most rifle guys at my club shoot 25 yards to sight in, and 100 yards thereafter. Some iron sight M-16, vintage M-1 Springfields, or other military rifles. Mostly scoped hunting or scoped competitive target rifles. Our outdoor range is 100 yards max.

Here is an interesting point brought to me by some guys at the range. If you truely believe your life is in danger, and you pull out your ccw and shoot the assailant, is he going to be 50 - 100 feet away? No. More likely he will be less then 20 feet. Long distance is great to perfect your targeting abilities, but it's also a good idea to practice draw technique, aiming and firing in approx the same time it takes an assailant to run 20 +/- feet (around 3.5 seconds).

When I shoot my bolt action 308, M1A or Garand, I like setting up targets at 200 yards to see how accurate I can get. Depending on the wind, humidity, etc some days can be a very good learning experience. I have a friend who used to belong to the Reading Revolver and Rifle club and we shot my 50 BMG at the 600 yrd range. THAT was a lot of fun and frustration at the same time. Actually hit a suspended coffee can a few times at that distance.

Handgun...

Mostly 30' - 50'. Occasionally I'll set the target at 75'.

Centerfire rifle...

50 yards every now and then, but mostly 100 yards.

Rimfire rifle...

25 yards and 50 yards.

100 to 200 yards. I hate walking out to the 300 yard line. When I'm lucky enough to go down to Reading with a friend, at least we drive to the pits for some 600 yard practice.........

I gotta get a golf cart!

I don't have a centerfire rifle [crying]

But I'll shoot my dinky little .22 up to 100 yds if I feel like it. Usually I shoot at closer distances, but I just got a scope on it so when I can start shooting again I'm going to hit the 100/200.

I currently am waiting to get my first rifle (RRA ar-15). When I shoot it I am expecting to practice at ranges of 50ft to 100 yards. For tactical training I would much rather be able to place 10 rounds rapid fire on a target at 50 yards while moving than a few holes in the paper at 200 yards with a bench rest.

'03 and Garand - 100 to 300 yds
AR15 - 100 to 600 yds

Depends on what I'm practicing for. Most of the time I'm either on the 200 or 300 yd firing line. The 600 yd range I shoot at is about 2 hours away.

CD

I also practice at close range,10 to 20 ft,for defencive shooting. that is not what i am refering to.i mean target shooting for group and score.

Rapture, an assailant can travel 20ft in approx 1.8 seconds, so i have been told. If they are that close and moving my guess is you will never clear the
leather.

Go to combatcarry.com there is a lot of discussion on this scenario.

JimB

Rimfire: 50 to 200 yards.
nyjKZdnW5hoBPjxzmi856mUshYXbg39E0280.jpg

Centerfire: 200 to 600 yards. Need to try some of the 1000 yard prone matches around.
aEhdexMswJ3NNG0whDuaHmzt6m+enPCZ0300.jpg

PatMcD said:
Looks like a vintage 1413 to me. Early 1970's?
I've been told it is a 1411. IIRC, xx11 denotes a prone rifle, xx12 denotes a Sport rifle (free rifle for women), and xx13 denotes a free or standard rifle in the Anschutz scheme.

1971 according to the barrel date code. I paid a little under $900 bucks for it and it shoots WAY better than I can hold.

Smallbore prone is HARD!

I don't think the 1411 had an adjustable stock. Other than the stocks, though, I think the 1411 & 1413 were the same. My 1413 shoots like a house afire.

I, and the people I shoot with shoot at distances where we can group well, then move back.

So if yer tossing a "Shottgun" grouping with your AK at 50 yards, maybe you should move the target closer and figgure out what you (or the rifle) is doing wrong.

-Weer'd Beard

What distance do you shoot.

Whatta ya got?

Seriously, never cared all that much. When we used to hang targets in the woods, we'd get as far away from it as we could. (tough in the woods) so we were never really sure what the range was. Was one hilltop we could shoot from that had a nice sloping ridge with a tree at the far end. Loved to hang from branches on that tree because there was a great backstop. Was probably 140-180 yards. Tough to measure as the ridge wasn't smooth in betweeen.

And then we'd have the hangs in the pine groves where you'd be 20' from the the target but getting a clear shot through all the dead pine brances was nearly impossible.

Back
Top Bottom