• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What did you do to your firearm today.

Ordered my Ruger 22/45 LITE a new pair of grips. Spalted Mango Target Grips with thumb rest and palm swell.
A12%20mango_zpsu4xugmk6.jpg
http://stores.ebay.com/costaricatreasurehouse?_trksid=p2047675.l2563
Also contacted MaddMac's Precision Tactical about making a one off linear compensator for my pistol.
http://www.maddmacsprecisiontactical.com/ruger-2245-lite-compensators.html

Found the barrel tool my dad had tucked away among his things for his old Dan Wesson .44vh swapped to the 8" barrel and cleaned it meticulously. Also boxed up my new rifle to be sent back to Mossberg.

I've been fighting grip issues with my XDm(s) for a bit. With a thumbs forward grip, I tend to ride the slide lock so the slide won't lock back when empty. Not a big deal, but I like speed reloads from slide lock. I just got THIS in the mail, and hopefully it will fix the issue. I guess it's a common complaint on the XD series.

I actually went to the range at lunch yesterday. Shot a few mags of my Beretta and shot my Shield in .40 for the first time (I bought it last year) The shield needs a trigger job for sure. I am so off with that gun it's unbelievable.

mounted a lone wolf compensator to a Remington R1 enhanced threaded. shoots like a dream. slightly more blast/noise but recoil drastically less and allows for very quick followup shots.

IMG_2437.JPG IMG_2438.JPG

I haven't done too much with my firearms lately other than polishing and lubing my CZ75b before IDPA practice last night. Got to keep it shiny[smile]

Here are the pictures. The gun functions fine. It's not super clean, but I don't really care... It's a Glock. One step above disposable. [rofl]

I started with progressive grits of sandpaper wrapped around a drill bit. Worked up to 600 grit with a wet sand. Then I used a polishing wheel on dremel, white rouge, and black RIT dye. It removed about 80% of the grey/swirling. Like I said... not perfect, but it feels great and I love it. The magwell work made a surprising difference on reloads, and the grip plug coming, should complement it perfectly.

20150623_233650.jpg 20150623_233753.jpg 20150623_233809.jpg

20150623_233901.jpg 20150623_233910.jpg 20150623_234028.jpg

This wasn't today, but recently I added a Dawson precision adjustable rear and F.O. front sight to the XDm. Since I dinked the slide trying to knock the front sight out, I had it cerakoted while I was at it.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1435137739.065335.jpg

Last week I put Pistol Gear's lopro slide release on, what a difference. I found that I was holding the release down with my normal grip, and the slide wouldn't lock back on empty. I tried adjusting my grip, but started sucking even more as a shooter. This thing is slick, fairly inexpensive, and took 2.5 minutes to swap out.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1435137898.675436.jpg

Refinished the Romanian butt stock on my Egyptian Maadi AK because I figured if I'm going to be waiting for a correct stock I might as well make the Romi stuff look and fit decent.

Then I put a Magpul MIAD grip on my BCM build only to find out that either Anderson lowers don't work with the Magpul high back rear straps or vice versa. Oh well, standard grip strap it is.

One more reason why I still prefer the traditional AK design over modern plastic stuff.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1435456080344.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1435456080344.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 43
Installed a Apex flat faced FSS trigger in my M&P9 CORE. I left in the stock trigger spring. Original was the standard gritty M&P trigger with excessive uptake and over-travel, right around 5.5 lbs per my cheapo analog pull gauge. Now its got a small amount of takeup, breaks clean with an unnoticeable amount of over-travel, at about 3.75 lbs.

photo_2_2.jpg

photo_3_2.jpg

photo_4_2.jpg

photo_5_2.jpg

Also used some Neatsfoot on my leather 1907 Garand sling.

Actually done yesterday on a rare day off: Field strip of my 1967 Colt .45 "RL Shockey" re-worked Bullseye pistol. It was at my LGS; not cheap, but in line with a older Colt 45. It's in good shape, but needs a real good cleaning and full strip. Some light rust on the outside in spots, but will oil-up well.

It has the Shockey mousetrap, a ground barrel in spots and his name roll-marked on the inside of the slide. Great checkering on the grip front and backstrap. I cant tell yet if its been machined at some edges to shave some weight, but I can mic it against my National Match slide. Unknown what the trigger and guide rod spring rates are either. It has a blade front sight and a rear Bo-Mar. Some Shockeys I have seen in internet searches had extended front sight bars and front weights along with extensive machining, so this one may be more a "standard" job By Mr. Shockey for that type of competition.

I have learned that RL Shockey was what we can call an "Old School" smith in the Mid-West in the 50's thru 70's.

I find it amazing what these guys could think of in the days before lasers, computers and all the tech we now take for granted.

/eddie

Click below pics to embiggen

IMG_0080.jpg
DSCN1380.jpg DSCN1395.jpg IMG_0072.jpg IMG_0102.jpg IMG_0069.jpg IMG_0086.jpg IMG_0084.jpg DSCN1405.jpg

Last edited:
After doing some work I went to Mansfield F&G and did some shooting, brought 5 guns, shot all 5, cleaned all 5 and decided to sell a couple of safe queens.

Chatted with a few members, met a couple of NES'rs. All and all a good day.

Range session with wife and a work friend. Try out used Buck Mark (nice), Colt 1911 Shockey custom (nice) and new S&W 1911 9mm Pro (very nice)....while Mrs and friend used Ruger SP101's and a Mk II...and a fun time was had by all.

Gave my Ruger super redhawk a light cleaning. Fouling started to prevent the cylinder from spinning freely. Cleaned and lubed the under the extractor and good to go now.

Back
Top Bottom