What did you do in the reloading room recently?

a lit cigar and open containers of gunpowder? Be careful out there..
View attachment 702317
Unless someone is mind numbingly stupid, completely safe. More important things to worry about. I heard at a gun store this morning that the new AG is going to limit powder purchases to one pound a month and you will need a special permit to purchase primers.

Unless someone is mind numbingly stupid, completely safe. More important things to worry about. I heard at a gun store this morning that the new AG is going to limit powder purchases to one pound a month and you will need a special permit to purchase primers.
Your gun shop opens a lot earlier than mine, if you heard that awful rumor this morning then posted about it at 5:58am. ;)

One of my coworkers just bought a rock island 22tcm and he's been having a hell of a time finding load data for it
I might link this post to him
Got any tips and tricks that might help him out?
I bought the conversion barrel a couple of years back for only about $100, but before I did, I made sure the ammo and components were available. Advanced Tactical seems to be an official distributer of all things Armscor, at that time I was able to get factory ammo, new primed cases and bullets. I'm glad I made a large quantity purchase because it seems to be out of stock like many things these days.

Here is the powder manufactures data
https://accuratepowder.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/load_data_TCM.pdf

1672059099447.png

you can see the 39g Armscor bullet load shows a COL of 1.15" this is the load for 22TCM9R -to fit a Glock magazine, or the MAPP Rock Island pistol. 22TCM9R factory ammo use that 39g bullet, it is a shorter round nose compared to the 40g in the 22TCM factory ammo.
The Rock Island doublestack 1911 models will chamber the 22TCM cartridge that is about the length of a 38super, this opens up bullet and powder options, but there isn't much published data. There was a good thread somewhere on ar15.com and one of the other big sites, thehighroad maybe

Armscor also made rifles in 22TCM, still listed on their website actually, but not available anywhere

ETA, more data here
https://ramshot.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/08/WesternPowdersHandloadingGuide8.0_WEB.pdf

Last edited:
That CANT possibly be true.

IF it is, you all need to consider loading up well beyond what is ‘allowed’.

Open offer again to ship to Kentucky and I’ll ship to you from here. No skimming, I promise 🤞

Gordon Ramsay Facepalm GIF by Masterchef

Your gun shop opens a lot earlier than mine, if you heard that awful rumor this morning then posted about it at 5:58am. ;)
@Tallahassee you drinking again

So......

The rcbs turret. Mounting it now. The shell holders I have don't fit in the ram because it seems too much of the clip is protruding into the space for the holder. I'm gonna have to file it down a little. That's rather disappointing

Here is a recomendation that I used and I too haven't looked back

[IMG alt="EddieCoyle"]https://www.northeastshooters.com/xen/data/avatars/m/0/460.jpg?1589674683[/IMG]

EddieCoyle

Consigliere​

NES Member

Rating - 100%
155 0 0
Add Feedback
JoinedNov 11, 2005Messages21,274Likes9,409LocationNorthern, MA
U dies cover up a problem and Dillon 9mm sizing dies are the worst. I went to an RCBS die on my 1050 and haven't looked back.

Want to learn to make your own ammo? I have a reloading classes scheduled

NFA Engraving and Laser marking

Never rat on your friends, and always keep your mouth shut.

Here is a recomendation that I used and I too haven't looked back

[IMG alt="EddieCoyle"]https://www.northeastshooters.com/xen/data/avatars/m/0/460.jpg?1589674683[/IMG]

EddieCoyle

Consigliere​

NES Member

Rating - 100%
155 0 0
Add Feedback
JoinedNov 11, 2005Messages21,274Likes9,409LocationNorthern, MA
U dies cover up a problem and Dillon 9mm sizing dies are the worst. I went to an RCBS die on my 1050 and haven't looked back.

Want to learn to make your own ammo? I have a reloading classes scheduled

NFA Engraving and Laser marking

Never rat on your friends, and always keep your mouth shut.
@1919FAN has a mighty armory die that totally eliminates the bulge. The ammo looks amazing. I should probably try his. Though I think a longer expander might do the trick.

Another 50 rounds of .44Mag. Wanted to try some of the 240 grain soft point zero bullets I was able to snag (thanks again Andrew). Plunked em over 23.5 grains of H110 for the Marlin. I really need to get a chronograph.

61B34236-7CCB-427F-A1C7-2C651B32A348.jpeg

Yeah, I had an afternoon Scotch while I was doing it, and I chain smoked 2 cartons of Camels! I hid the meth pipe though.

I always thought my 115s looked horrible, huge coke bottle/hourglass shape going on with the dillon dies. I'll dig one of those out later and take a pic.
Mine have a little muffin top.
Barely noticeable and still function fine. Well except for the failed batch of them primed with SRPs. Meh they'll get run through the PCC next time out.

Another 50 rounds of .44Mag. Wanted to try some of the 240 grain soft point zero bullets I was able to snag (thanks again Andrew). Plunked em over 23.5 grains of H110 for the Marlin. I really need to get a chronograph.

View attachment 702424

Yeah, I had an afternoon Scotch while I was doing it, and I chain smoked 2 cartons of Camels! I hid the meth pipe though.
I haven't had a Camel in twenty years or so. Those and Chesterfields, so good. Bullets looks fantastic, I need to shoot my 94 more often.

Got a new (to me) 223 bolt gun, swapped a scope over from another, and figured I'd load up 50 rounds to try it out. Picked through my lifetime supply of brass, found 50 all the same Lake City 2011 headstamp. Sized to just let the bolt close, deprimed, swaged the primer pockets, trimmed to 1.760", wasn't really sure where to start so I just picked a medium load of Accurate 2230, 24.0 grains. Loaded Hornady V-max 50 grain to 2.260".
Well this looks promising. Not bad for picking a load out of a manual with a powder I've never used before, and using the Dillon 550 powder drop instead of trickling up and weighing each charge. Used CCI 550 small pistol magnum primers too because I understand them to be essentially the same thing as 400s, and the only other small rifle primers I have are 41s and Federal AR match.

Chrono was not getting good readings, only caught three of ten I sent over it. It usually does better on overcast days than with blue sky. But of the ones it caught, they were averaging 3100 fps so it seems I'm in a decent ballpark. They definitely vaporized little bottles of water...

Last edited:
I haven't had a Camel in twenty years or so. Those and Chesterfields, so good. Bullets looks fantastic, I need to shoot my 94 more often.

I don’t actually smoke, anymore. Quit after I left the kitchen world and now I can’t stand the smell. Why does pipe tobacco smell so good though??
I love my 1894, something about having 10 of those things on tap is reassuring.

View attachment 702424

Sweet! Those will shoot well.
My only critique would be to seat the bullets slightly deeper so more of the cannelure is below the casemouth. I usually aim for at least half the cannelure to be below the casemouth.

147 on the left 125 on the right.
If I seat the 147 to the cannelure it’s too long for the magazine.
Does anyone have a 147 HST factory load to see what the OAL is?

I seated the 147 to 1.130”
I think I could keep it longer and still be functional but compare to my 147 Ranger T ammo it’s super long!

Attachments

• BBA4F76A-E318-4138-AFC0-9D71BE2D449B.png
    BBA4F76A-E318-4138-AFC0-9D71BE2D449B.png
    632 KB · Views: 9
Well this looks promising. Not bad for picking a load out of a manual with a powder I've never used before, and using the Dillon 550 powder drop instead of trickling up and weighing each charge. Used CCI 550 small pistol magnum primers too because I understand them to be essentially the same thing as 400s, and the only other small rifle primers I have are 41s and Federal AR match.

Chrono was not getting good readings, only caught three of ten I sent over it. It usually does better on overcast days than with blue sky. But of the ones it caught, they were averaging 3100 fps so it seems I'm in a decent ballpark. They definitely vaporized little bottles of water...

View attachment 702430

View attachment 702431
Nice. 100 yards?

I’ve heard that CCI 550s and 400s are interchangeable but I’ve also heard they’re not. I dunno. Some say the cup is thicker with the 400s to handle the higher rifle pressures.

How did the primers look after firing?

Sweet! Those will shoot well.
My only critique would be to seat the bullets slightly deeper so more of the cannelure is below the casemouth. I usually aim for at least half the cannelure to be below the casemouth.

Ohhh
What do you seat to? This is where my being a newb comes in to play. I split the COL difference with the load data I had, whilst being on the higher end for H110 (Lyman max always seems lower than others though at 33.5) Lyman told me to go to 1.610 and Hodgdon website says 1.6 for 240’s. Since I didn’t trim the cases,
they were all just about halfway between those two. 🤷🏼‍♂️

I’d smoosh em in a few more thousandths if they weren’t crimped. Next time! I appreciate any feedback and advice. You shoot a lot more .44 than I do. Thank you!

Last edited:
147 on the left 125 on the right.
If I seat the 147 to the cannelure it’s too long for the magazine.
Does anyone have a 147 HST factory load to see what the OAL is?

I seated the 147 to 1.130”
I think I could keep it longer and still be functional but compare to my 147 Ranger T ammo it’s super long!

Most of what I measured was either of those two, pretty consistently.

EFB0B2ED-DEA0-40EE-97BB-AC8213BACBA2.jpeg92A8C042-FDA3-44CE-A683-30EECAABF38B.jpeg12F39761-D701-462E-87E5-2C2114C4C0E7.jpeg

Most of what I measured was either of those two, pretty consistently.

View attachment 702437View attachment 702438View attachment 702439
Thank you. So I’m about right in length but this Dillon die is giving me the old hourglass shape.
Ok so some more reading and the cannelures on the gen 2 bullet were indeed for jacket retention during expansion. The HST not being bonded I guess could use a little help.
I’m going to have to try that mighty armory die. They pass a gauge test no issues. I’ll have to try a few in the ol barrel plunk test.

Meanwhile I’ll work up a load with the 125s. They have a P stamp on the bottom of the bullet. I’m wondering if that’s a designation for a plus P bullet design? Or is it something else?
Seeing as there’s not much difference in speed from a standard to +P 9mm I would think they would have one bullet for both loads but what do I know?

Nice. 100 yards?

I’ve heard that CCI 550s and 400s are interchangeable but I’ve also heard they’re not. I dunno. Some say the cup is thicker with the 400s to handle the higher rifle pressures.

How did the primers look after firing?
Yes, 100 yards. Unfortunately/fortunately that's as far as my club's rifle range goes. It'd be nice to have a longer range, but this at least prevents me from throwing money at actual long range shooting. :)

Primers appeared okay to me. I've seen greater pressure signs on some of my 357 loads.

Last edited:
In starting my winter marathon Pistol Round reloading I was doing 9mm today. Ran across some Norma brass I must have picked up on the range. I thought “This should be good stuff”. Yeah no. Some moron at Norma decided that the flash holes in 9mm were too big, so made these with a smaller flash hole making it difficult if not impossible to de-prime and resize. Probably the same idiot who decided small primers should be in .45 ACP.

In starting my winter marathon Pistol Round reloading I was doing 9mm today. Ran across some Norma brass I must have picked up on the range. I thought “This should be good stuff”. Yeah no. Some moron at Norma decided that the flash holes in 9mm were too big, so made these with a smaller flash hole making it difficult if not impossible to de-prime and resize. Probably the same idiot who decided small primers should be in .45 ACP.
I hate that. I don’t want to have to sort any pistol brass it’s insane. That’s for rifle work only.

I too have had the pleasure of case sorting by the decapping pin ..
But I see the 9mm Norma as very different than the small primer 45:
The Norma cases can't be decapped by normal means, by normal dies, and so they are no use to me and tossed aside.
45 small primer cases are actually useful, because they can be reloaded with normal tools (but also a sore to sort, done at the priming station... )

Back
Top Bottom