What did you do in the reloading room recently?

Tested my 45 deer rounds today.

Got on paper with 250gr flat nose. Tried some 250gr XTP over 26.5gr of H110, but it was a real thumper.

Went home and loaded some 250gr XTP over 13.4gr of Longshot. Much less recoil and much more accurate. Should be about 1,500fps from the 16" barrel.

Zeroed for 75y.

Breaking down 80 rounds of Korean PS2- lot 152...brass said to be brittle and subject to KaBooms. Will reuse the bullets, powder and the boxes they came in...
It's M2 Ball for 30/06 Garand. Never tried re-using primers from crimped military brass?

I stopped in to The Powderhorn in Hyannis this morning for the first time in a while. Looks like they have some items from an estate sale, including one each Pacific DL366 and DL266 shotshell reloaders. They look like they've been sitting unused in a basement or shed for a long time, some light rust on the blued and bare steel surfaces, but seem to be mostly there, $100 each. Either one would definitely be a small project to get sorted out and running. I have a DL266 and really like it. Didn't have my phone with me or I'd have snapped a photo.

Also, loaded 100 rounds of 357, 158g soft point jacketed Zero bullets, 14.4g 2400, CCI500. First time I've sat down at the Dillon since last winter.

Also, loaded 100 rounds of 357, 158g soft point jacketed Zero bullets, 14.4g 2400, CCI500. First time I've sat down at the Dillon since last winter.
Woo, I think I'm going to dial the next batch back down to 14.2g. 14.4g was a little frisky. Primers were flowing back enough to lock up the cylinder once in a while.

IMGP9264.JPG

Woo, I think I'm going to dial the next batch back down to 14.2g. 14.4g was a little frisky. Primers were flowing back enough to lock up the cylinder once in a while.

View attachment 687476
14.2 grains was the load I settled on with an OAL of 1.575" with the 158gr Zero JHPs. I tested up to 14.7gr, and my notes have no mention of any significant pressure signs. I was not using magnum primers. It is interesting that these primers are showing that much cratering but no flattening.

14.2 grains was the load I settled on with an OAL of 1.575" with the 158gr Zero JHPs. I tested up to 14.7gr, and my notes have no mention of any significant pressure signs. I was not using magnum primers. It is interesting that these primers are showing that much cratering but no flattening.
I think in this case it is more the gun than the ammo. I'm using a 1980 S&W 586 no dash. I understand there's a recall on this model and I assume this one hasn't had it performed.

View attachment 687476
Interesting. Never ran into that and I loaded up to ~14.8 gr of 2400 with the JSPs. The JHPs are longer (and cannelure is higher up on the bullet) so you have to be cautious of that.

So it begins….

I decided it’s easier to unpack/organize my basement if I set up my benches so I can get other things off the floor.

Question/opinions needed please…

Is this going to be too close to my wood stove?

image.jpg

The closest powder measure will be 7’ away from the front door of the stove.

image.jpg

And about 8’ from the flu pipe that goes up through the center of the house.

image.jpg

Definitely don’t want any accidents, but this is the most favored spot for my reloading bench(es) because it’s on the warmer side of the cellar, and is exposed to less moisture than the other side.

What say you, NES…good to go? Too close for comfort in case of a rogue spark?

Keep in mind, my powder and primers will likely be stored elsewhere in the house, so the only thing that could/would potentially ignite would be a single powder measure full or an open bottle on my bench which is very rare that would even be present and not without me being around.

Last edited:
So it begins….

I decided it’s easier to unpack/organize my basement if I set up my benches so I can get other things off the floor.

View attachment 688303

View attachment 688305

View attachment 688306

Definitely don’t want any accidents, but this is the most favored spot for my reloading bench(es) because it’s on the warmer side of the cellar, and is exposed to less moisture than the other side.

Keep in mind, my powder and primers will likely be stored elsewhere in the house, so the only thing that could/would potentially ignite would be a single powder measure full or an open bottle on my bench which is very rare that would even be present and not without me being around.
Keep a clean work space and you should be good. I wouldn’t be adding any wood or opening the door at all when powder is in the room.
Sweep the floor while there is no fire etc.

So it begins….

View attachment 688303

View attachment 688305

View attachment 688306

Keep the floor swept and covers on the powder bottles/drop. No big deal. I have a handmade stand I've been using for 10 years. Last 6 right next to my woodstove. 4 ft away. I store it on the far side of the room when not in use 10ft away.

Back
Top Bottom