• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What did you do in the reloading room recently?

So I have to ask this even though I’ve been reloading 357 mag since 2013…

For some reason I noticed a ton of unburnt powder when I shot my newly acquired DW 15-2.

Using 14.5 gr of 2400 under a Zero 158 gr JHP. I’ve always had some unburnt powder when shooting these loads in my other DW revolver but for some reason it was a lot more in this gun. No idea how a gun could make a difference.

Anyway, I’m starting to wonder after all these years if I haven’t been crimping enough.

This is a closeup of the crimp. I’m using a progressive press and mixed brass so you can see the OAL’s vary a bit. Ideally I know you don’t want a lot of the cannelure exposed so the casemouth/crimp rolls into the cannelure.
567BFF40-47AA-4B59-9F19-D56ACDBCB389.jpeg

And this is a closeup of the even firmer roll crimp I applied after readjusting my Lee FCD. This seems kinda excessive? The case is really flattened into the cannelure. Can’t imagine I’d get much case life from these?
What say you @Michael J. Spangler @meh 7504FD98-6157-4050-BF1F-1049D3A60A5D.jpeg

Last edited:

For some reason I noticed a ton of unburnt powder when I shot my newly acquired DW 15-2.

Using 14.5 gr of 2400 under a Zero 158 gr JHP. I’ve always had some unburnt powder when shooting these loads in my other DW revolver but for some reason it was a lot more in this gun. No idea how a gun could make a difference.

Anyway, I’m starting to wonder after all these years if I haven’t been crimping enough.

This is a closeup of the crimp. I’m using a progressive press and mixed brass so you can see the OAL’s vary a bit. Ideally I know you don’t want a lot of the cannelure exposed so the casemouth/crimp rolls into the cannelure.
View attachment 554976

And this is a closeup of the even firmer roll crimp I applied after readjusting my Lee FCD. This seems kinda excessive? The case is really flattened into the cannelure. Can’t imagine I’d get much case life from these?
What say you @Michael J. Spangler @meh View attachment 554981
If you’re getting unburnt powder then yeah probably a light crimp (from what I’ve read I doubt you’re loading too light of a charge)

Some of the factor stuff is lightly crimped but in a lot of the fire I’ve set up, when adjust properly they put a crimp that looks like your second pic.
I would try them to see. I crimp pretty heavy on my 357s because they’re cast and they have a pretty decent crimp groove.
With jacketed and cannelures it’s going to look a little more aggressive with no place for that case mouth to set into.

I think they look fine.

View attachment 554976

My slow powder loads (2400, H110, N110) look more like the bottom picture. Medium powder (e.g HS-6) like the top. Yeah, it does flatten out the brass at the case mouths. C'est la vie. I've played some with the Redding profile crimp instead, which is kinder on the case mouth, but my initial tests gave less good chrono stats than the Lee FCD, and I haven't gotten around to looking deeper into the matter.

The only way I can figure the gun would be involved, when comparing two revolvers, is via the throats. I'm just spit balling, but I'd imagine that tighter throats would facilitate a good burn with jacketed bullets. Maybe the charge hole diameters could have some effect because at 357 magnum pressure, the brass should be obturating, and if it's obturating to a larger diameter, that means lower pressure.

My slow powder loads (2400, H110, N110) look more like the bottom picture. Medium powder (e.g HS-6) like the top. Yeah, it does flatten out the brass at the case mouths. C'est la vie. I've played some with the Redding profile crimp instead, which is kinder on the case mouth, but my initial tests gave less good chrono stats than the Lee FCD, and I haven't gotten around to looking deeper into the matter.

The only way I can figure the gun would be involved, when comparing two revolvers, is via the throats. I'm just spit balling, but I'd imagine that tighter throats would facilitate a good burn with jacketed bullets. Maybe the charge hole diameters could have some effect because at 357 magnum pressure, the brass should be obturating, and if it's obturating to a larger diameter, that means lower pressure.
I’m wondering if the profile crimp die is ever so slightly squeezing down the jacketed bullet? I haven’t worked with one but it sounds like of like a Lee carbide factory crimp die vs the collet crimp dies.

Throats do make a difference. It’s not uncommon that they’re too tight or too loose depending on the brand. Or all inconsistent.
Try pushing a cast bullets through the throats and see if they’re all the same.

Do you have the same issue with cast? I’m thinking a .001” or so oversized bullet along with the softer material sans jacket might obturate better and help with the burn.

I’m wondering if the profile crimp die is ever so slightly squeezing down the jacketed bullet? I haven’t worked with one but it sounds like of like a Lee carbide factory crimp die vs the collet crimp dies.
FWIW, that's exactly what I suspected as well. I've since only made use of the profile crimps when I've reloaded 44 magnum GFL brass with Zero JSPs (.431). That combo is hell to push through the Lee FCD, and if I'm going to press on the bullet, anyway, I might as well have an easier time of it. I don't really use the GFL brass much anymore, but I've recently loaded up 44M's in older brass in preparation for shooting it in my Ruger 44 carbine this winter. I don't like using the brass catcher all that much, and if I don't, brass will be lost in the snow. Better the GFL than some headstamp that I actually like.

Learn something new every day. Never in a million years would I have had a trigger below 1.5-2 pounds, now I want to build a bench gun.
I shot a rifle with a 8oz trigger. NO THANKS. I like to be able to rest my finger on the trigger blade as part of my shot prep. Twice i tried resting my finger and the gun went off WAY to prematurely. My comfort spot is 20 oz.

View attachment 554976

Check out some factory ammo , its often crimped hard.
Also using mixed brass can have mixed results.
The lee crimp is a bit forgiving to case length my hornady seating/crimp die not so much.

Now toss in a “loose chamber” and the fun continues.

You can also try faster powders

Broke my roller handle. Its an Inline fabrication ergo that I have had for many years on my Dillon 650, and swapped it over to my 750. I emailed them on Saturday, a new handle arrived with no charge yesterday. Great service. The screw probably worked a bit loose with out being noticed and caused the break.

Attachments

• IMG_20211214_120827777.jpg
    IMG_20211214_120827777.jpg
    373.8 KB · Views: 6
Broke my roller handle. Its an Inline fabrication ergo that I have had for many years on my Dillon 650, and swapped it over to my 750. I emailed them on Saturday, a new handle arrived with no charge yesterday. Great service. The screw probably worked a bit loose with out being noticed and caused the break.
Trying to shove that 338 through the 308 die again:rolleyes:

Made a small batch of .30-06 to shoot in the tractor gun (IHC M1) and post a target in Winter Warrior. Trimmed and neck turned the cases, uniformed bullet meplats and sorted to .0000001" concentricity, and ... LOL, no. Grabbed some HXP brass and cleaned powder residue off neck with steel wool then the usual load procedures. 47.0 gr Varget and 168 Nosler CC blems.

This question comes up from time to time- what to do about crimps? If only the simple 3 stake marks, I ignore them and just blow through them when priming. Here's an example of what I ignore. Crimp stake marks at 3:00, 7:00, and 11:00:

XOoi3Adh.jpg

edit- Yes, I know that is an original primer. Used that pic because once I re-prime it's more difficult to see the stake marks.

Last edited:
The reloading vendor in the valley had some on 12/12 and I messaged you😂. And you said “Ugh $40 per pound” 😂
Yup $40 lb plus ship and hazmat no thanks
Did they have a limit?
“We” where about due on our next group buy back in spring 2021.
“We” got together in spring 2020 and did a small order. I did not get H4895 for some dumb reason. “We” as a group where taking a gamble on things being better by now ….. o well … I got alternatives for now

Yup $40 lb plus ship and hazmat no thanks
Did they have a limit?
“We” where about due on our next group buy back in spring 2021.
“We” got together in spring 2020 and did a small order. I did not get H4895 for some dumb reason. “We” as a group where taking a gamble on things being better by now ….. o well … I got alternatives for now
Ya I hear ya. I think 10 one pounders was the max? Obviously the 8 pound jugs are the better deal but even those work out to be $35 and change per pound before shipping and hazmat.

If you’re buying powder now there’s no deals to be had anymore. It’s either open the wallet or get none 😂

Ya I hear ya. I think 10 one pounders was the max? Obviously the 8 pound jugs are the better deal but even those work out to be $35 and change per pound before shipping and hazmat.

If you’re buying powder now there’s no deals to be had anymore. It’s either open the wallet or get none 😂
Considering the inflation for primers and other components, $35 to $40 per lb of powder is fine.

Be nice to Mac this week. He's feeling a little down because he hasn't been able to figure out a way to recycle powder. Me too- I was trying to collect used Varget for him.
[rofl]

Must be getting better. Squidway has an entire first row of available primers: 41's, BR4's, 400's, 450's.

I did not see any popular powder that goes at $40 per lb in 8lb jugs. Only 1lb, limit 4 per purchase per day. Larry limits per week, I think.

One and only jug I got was reloder 16, and it was very lucky as it did not appear anymore in any form after that.

Considering the inflation for primers and other components, $35 to $40 per lb of powder is fine.

Be nice to Mac this week. He's feeling a little down because he hasn't been able to figure out a way to recycle powder. Me too- I was trying to collect used Varget for him.
[rofl]

Must be getting better. Squidway has an entire first row of available primers: 41's, BR4's, 400's, 450's.
[laugh] Oh mac

Ya I’m in agreement on powder prices. They haven’t gone up as much in price as primers have.

I hear yeah , im hopeful tou can at least buy by the case. Miss buying 4-6 cases of 8lb jugs.
I have other powders to burn through.
Gives me a chance to burn up all the 1/2lbers sitting in the cab.

I think he was asking rather than saying if you can buy by the case. I'm pretty sure you can't buy cases of powders from any vendors I'm aware of. Otherwise there wouldn't be any limits on powder purchases from various vendors.

Edit: there is 1 vendor who still sells by the case.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom