What did you do in the reloading room recently?

so, as i continue to learn my press i installed the other gizmo i didn't fully understand the point of, initially, and after reading a lot of negative reviews of it i kinda felt discouraged to even try.
a magnetic powder check
so, using a rubber band hack it allowed to rotate the powder measure in a way that did not obstruct this gizmo, and, at least the sample i have, on using the .223 case has a sensitivity range of approximately .3gn that is correlating with that fat marker line on the body on the right.
a marker line on the magnet then shows visually, and damn accurately so, how much powder you got from the measure, and even if it does not beep you do see if you got less or more and then can pull case out and adjust. it takes a little bit of an effort to setup the correct height of the magnet so it would be at the middle of the fat line on the ideal correct powder load weight but after that it works very well.
i probably going to take the battery out of it as beeping itself seems to be just an annoying extra, a visual control is more than enough.

i may need to ask a friend to 3d print me some caps for this rod, for different calibers, as the brass piece on top is for pistol brass, and rod itself is still a bit thin for rifle cases, especially for .308. DA for some reason did not bother to make matching caps for rifle calibers. but for .223 it works perfectly fine.

View attachment 541084

What do you need printed?
Do you have a model or just an idea?
link the model or sketch out your idea and I'll see what I can do

so, as i continue to learn my press i installed the other gizmo i didn't fully understand the point of, initially, and after reading a lot of negative reviews of it i kinda felt discouraged to even try.
a magnetic powder check
so, using a rubber band hack it allowed to rotate the powder measure in a way that did not obstruct this gizmo, and, at least the sample i have, on using the .223 case has a sensitivity range of approximately .3gn that is correlating with that fat marker line on the body on the right.
a marker line on the magnet then shows visually, and damn accurately so, how much powder you got from the measure, and even if it does not beep you do see if you got less or more and then can pull case out and adjust. it takes a little bit of an effort to setup the correct height of the magnet so it would be at the middle of the fat line on the ideal correct powder load weight but after that it works very well.
i probably going to take the battery out of it as beeping itself seems to be just an annoying extra, a visual control is more than enough.

i may need to ask a friend to 3d print me some caps for this rod, for different calibers, as the brass piece on top is for pistol brass, and rod itself is still a bit thin for rifle cases, especially for .308. DA for some reason did not bother to make matching caps for rifle calibers. but for .223 it works perfectly fine.

View attachment 541084
Paul, I also use the Double Alpha powder check for safety (only) when running lots of cases. I don't think it was intended nor designed to accurately warn of powder charge variation (nor was the Dillon powder check). I understand the check to warn of significant powder variation (usually, no charge or double charge situations). Clearly (as you noted) it is sensitive enough to detect variation more subtle than that, but probably not the design intent except to detect a really low partial charge/high over charge depending on the cartridge.

I also was annoyed by the beeping until I adjusted the die to close the micro switch ONLY when the case is fully inserted into the die. I'm only interested in the feedback from the powder check at the bottom of the stroke so that it only checks the level of the powder at that point. Prior to adjustment, the microswitch would close before that "case fully inserted" condition and I would get a chirp before the press bottomed out, and again at the start of the return stroke.

I'm also not sure about the need for adding caps, as the only thing relevant (to me) is that the probe rests on top of the powder column (so the probe being able to pass through the case neck is the maximum practical diameter of the probe end, while avoiding a minimum diameter that would allow the probe to penetrate into the powder column. I think the standard design provided meets this objective in all cases without modification?

Paul, I also use the Double Alpha powder check for safety (only) when running lots of cases. I don't think it was intended nor designed to accurately warn of powder charge variation (nor was the Dillon powder check). I understand the check to warn of significant powder variation (usually, no charge or double charge situations). Clearly (as you noted) it is sensitive enough to detect variation more subtle than that, but probably not the design intent except to detect a really low partial charge/high over charge depending on the cartridge.

I also was annoyed by the beeping until I adjusted the die to close the micro switch ONLY when the case is fully inserted into the die. I'm only interested in the feedback from the powder check at the bottom of the stroke so that it only checks the level of the powder at that point. Prior to adjustment, the microswitch would close before that "case fully inserted" condition and I would get a chirp before the press bottomed out, and again at the start of the return stroke.

I'm also not sure about the need for adding caps, as the only thing relevant (to me) is that the probe rests on top of the powder column (so the probe being able to pass through the case neck is the maximum practical diameter of the probe end, while avoiding a minimum diameter that would allow the probe to penetrate into the powder column. I think the standard design provided meets this objective in all cases without modification?
yep, i had mine setup in the same way - as i lifted properly filled case up i screwed this sensor in until it started beeping and then adjusted the magnet - so it invokes now at the very end of the stroke only.

as of cups to be needed - i am not sure how well the rod will work on finer powders in the wider cases like .308 or 6.5. the .223 case opening is just 5.3mm, the rod itself is 4mm in diameter, so, nothing is needed there for sure. i will need to try it out first to decide.

I’ll keep an eye out for your feedback. That looks like it might be a good buy for load development.
so, i ran 20 packs of my reloads today using this contraption and i can say - it definitely makes the process way easier. i can recommend it.
i was shooting from it maintaining pressure on top of the scope and holding rifle in the traditional way, it still moves a bit with recoil - i tried blocking legs by using a rail inserted into the bench but it makes it worse as front starts to jump up - just holding rifle as usual is way better, with most loads i was able to keep rifle on target with almost no move.
is it way better than shooting from a heavy sand bag? perhaps, may be, may be not. probably depends upon of how long the session is.

the absolute lack or vertical wobble during aiming and no need to control the stock bag helps a ton for loads testing, it just takes that part out of equation.

Last edited:
+1
You need to offer for sale the probe holders when you also sell the pot covers. I am in for 2 of each when you are ready.
I try to fund my hobbies with money fromy hobbies or from my travel per diem.
Covid has killed off my work travel (I'm not vaxxed so it's not coming back anytime soon)
That leaves me with financing parts for the next build by selling off the last builds.
Unfortunately I also get squirreled in the middle and spend the money on guns I don't 'need'...
Will probably do a run of covers soon.

Damn 270 Win found its way in my 30-06 brass.

View attachment 542573
Yokes, buckled the case a bit near the shoulder, good thing the 270 would have chambered … should. I think?
Probably not terrible out come but still maybe enough blowback to scare the bejeez outya . You would have a nice fireformed case after.

Got my new 223 rounds flying at 2444 fps, getting ready to run about 5k. Also working in Mesa AZ today so I brought some worn parts from myXL650, going to stop by Dillon in Scottsdale to see if they will warentee them.
View attachment 543472
I didn't realize powdercoat worked on rifle rounds. I thought it was limited to relatively low velocity pistol rounds.

Got my new 223 rounds flying at 2444 fps, getting ready to run about 5k. Also working in Mesa AZ today so I brought some worn parts from myXL650, going to stop by Dillon in Scottsdale to see if they will warentee them.
View attachment 543472
I wonder what Dillon has on hand for spare parts, with their backlog on new parts being so far out. Keep us posted.

Made ten rounds tonight to test out this weekend . Usually load wadcutters for my .38spl rounds , this time I bought some hollow points , recipe is as follows .......

Mixed brass
Federal spp
4.4 gr W231
Xtreme plated 125gr hp
OAL 1.44
I’m using all the same except going with 4.1 of W231. Very accurate out of 4.25” GP100

my first time with 223 poured & powder coated, seems to work very well, I follow Elvis Ammo on youtube, he has been doing it for a long time with good results.

Did you shoot these cast .223 powder coated boolits? If so can you share the results?

I ask because I consider myself pretty brave on this front. I have shot .308, 30-06 and 7.62x39 case boolits. Each time though I used a powder and or charge that was reduced to keep the velocity down. I've watch Elvis before and he seems to be a trial and error type guy with little to no fear. He said in the first video that the rounds would travel at over 2k FPS. That is impressive for a cast boolit powder coated. I did not catch if he is using gas checks. I just can't believe that the boolit would stay intact at the speed. But, I am not willing to experiment with my AR and its gas system. So I may never know.

Did you shoot these cast .223 powder coated boolits? If so can you share the results?

I ask because I consider myself pretty brave on this front. I have shot .308, 30-06 and 7.62x39 case boolits. Each time though I used a powder and or charge that was reduced to keep the velocity down. I've watch Elvis before and he seems to be a trial and error type guy with little to no fear. He said in the first video that the rounds would travel at over 2k FPS. That is impressive for a cast boolit powder coated. I did not catch if he is using gas checks. I just can't believe that the boolit would stay intact at the speed. But, I am not willing to experiment with my AR and its gas system. So I may never know.
I did shoot about 50 of them in my stock MCX pistol with excellent results, ave 2444 fps, I started way low with the charge and worked up to that. No issues, wife loves it as well. I going back for more testing this weekend so tell me what you want to know, I'll report back!20211106_155518.jpg

I wonder what Dillon has on hand for spare parts, with their backlog on new parts being so far out. Keep us posted.
Went today, those guys are awesome! Top notch. I walk through the door with a bag of parts and right away sales guy/kid says, you have a 650, what do you need? I hand him the bag and 5 min later he hands me a pile of new parts with my old parts. He says, dont forget to retime it with the timing fixture. I reply, I dont have one of those, he says hold on, grab a a fixture and throws it in the bag. No questions asked, didn't charge me a dime!
I felt bad getting all this free stuff so I look around and holly crap, they have CFEpistol powder, 1 lb for $32, not terrible as I wont pay hazmat or shipping so I grab some. Didn't know they sold powder and primers? No primers in stock but he says they are very well stocked in Dillon spares, almost walked out with a new 1100 press for $2300. They also will 100% referb the press for $85, that's a great deal! Tours of facility are not available at this time but I'm glad I stopped in.
20211118_151433.jpg

Back
Top Bottom