What did you do in the reloading room recently?

Rank Amateur is correct

it is a V3 Auto trickler with an A&D Scale
Faster and more accurate than my RCBS chargemaster but about $1050 to $1500 so not cheap. Version 4 is coming out and they combine the trickler with the auto dump. I wanted it but didn't want to wait a year

Rank Amateur is correct

it is a V3 Auto trickler with an A&D Scale
Faster and more accurate than my RCBS chargemaster but about $1050 to $1500 so not cheap. Version 4 is coming out and they combine the trickler with the auto dump. I wanted it but didn't want to wait a year
Nice tool. Version 4 looks really good, but rich for my blood. On the other hand, I think the full V4 is ~$1K, so not significantly north of the Matchmaster (and WAY cooler looking)!?

Got my delivery of 147 gr RN bullets today (only 2.5 weeks from ordering). Looks like they’ve changed the profile/ogive on these. They’re not as blunt or short and stubby as the old profile.
Photo shows the old on the left and new on the right. I’m guessing I’ll be able to load these longer in my CZ pistols. But won’t know until I make some dummy rounds and do the plunk test.View attachment 502133
Finally made up some 9mm with the new profile blue bullets. I seated them to ~1.13" compared to 1.10" with the old profile, and kept the charge weight the same. Chronoed them today and they were essentially the same as with the old bullets. Maybe 10-15 fps faster.
They’re longer than the old bullets so I guess this makes sense. I tried to seat them so they were at the same position in the case as the old bullets.

That seems excessive. Lol. The Chargemaster can be made extremely accurate with some basic tweaks of the parameters and a McD straw.
Yes it can be for some
I did the tweaks and have a machined reducing straw. Still too many overthrows for me.

the speed and accuracy of this setup helps get loading done faster and I get way better SD for more hits on target at distance. 0.02 grain accuracy as opposed to 0.1 or 0.2 grains, essentially one kernel of powder. Try hitting a 4” target at 1000 yards and you won’t think it’s excessive. It’s even more of a factor when shooting paper and trying to get all 10’s and X’s.
The A&D can be bought for $500, it’s a great scale. There is another Scientific scale that some benchrest guys use that goes for more than double that. I think it is Prometheus. Wrong, it is Sartorius or something like that. That is excessive for me.

Last edited:
Ever make a batch so pretty you may never even shoot it? 😂

357 mag
Remington once fired nickel Plated
15 grains imr4227
158 grain zero jsp
Cci 500

They just ran so nicely through the press. Did I mention I love nickel plated 357?😂

20210907_104648.jpg20210907_104702.jpg

I remembered I know how to reload. 115 IBEJ over 244 and BE-86, 147 XTP over BE86, 115 everglade FMJ over BE86 and 244. Also loaded first 38 sp, 158 IBEJ SWC over bullseye. I had to reread EC’s notes on how to set up dies. Hopefully my chrono will not go stupid like it did last time.

I am also not a fan of lee reloading dies, at least compared to RCBS. Also, their shell holder jammed up my hand primer, the spring would get caught in the shell holder, the diameter was not wide enough. I had to drill it out. Everyone in NH, that was me swearing the other night.
So 4.3 win 244 over an IBEJ 115 RN BB or FMJ give about 130 PF in a 5.25” barrel. 5.2 BE-86 does about the same. Neither of these make PF in a 4” barrel. I'd need to go to max load (4.5, and 5.5, respectively) to make PF out a 4” barrel.
4.2 BE-86 over a HDY 147 XTP gives 140PF in a 5.25” and 128 in a 4.0"
Everything works in a PCC. I think a PCC would work with just a primer.

I need to figure out loads for my 4” barrel gun. Bullseye, 244, and BE-86 all seems to need to be near max load to make PF with 115 grain in that gun. I can believe the latter two, as they are slower, but I figured bullseye would not have that issue. Not many powders faster than bullseye.

Both my IDPA and ICORE loads for the revolver worked. 3.0 and 3.5 of bullseye over IBEJ 158 SWC.

Also my chrono worked twice in three days. A true miracle!

Ever make a batch so pretty you may never even shoot it? 😂

357 mag
Remington once fired nickel Plated
15 grains imr4227
158 grain zero jsp
Cci 500

They just ran so nicely through the press. Did I mention I love nickel plated 357?😂

View attachment 520368View attachment 520369
Those 158 gr JSPs are back in stock for anyone looking. Roughly 10 cents each shipped. Looks like Zero is catching up on orders/manufacturing as they’re coming back in stock more often now.

357 is my only short supply - I'm not desperate but only have about 200 cases.
Never really stocked up because I have over a thousand 38 cases in rotation.

If you can spare a few hundred, give me a price
300 mixed brass and about 100 nickel wichchester once fired will be in the mail today. Already tumbled. Just pay it forward some day.

20210908_072648.jpg

Does anyone have any experience with Peterson brass? Specifically (if it matters) their .308 Win Match casings? Any comparisons to Lapua, Nosler, (or the more common Winchester, Federal, etc.) from your experience would be appreciated. I've been using cases from Fed GM factory rounds with good results, but am interested in trying out some new "precision" brass to see if it is really "better". Thanks in advance!

Does anyone have any experience with Peterson brass? Specifically (if it matters) their .308 Win Match casings? Any comparisons to Lapua, Nosler, (or the more common Winchester, Federal, etc.) from your experience would be appreciated. I've been using cases from Fed GM factory rounds with good results, but am interested in trying out some new "precision" brass to see if it is really "better". Thanks in advance!

@EddieCoyle might be able to shine some insight on that

I only know a few shooters shooting “highend” brass
338 LM and stuff like that.
the rumor mill is perterson os better than your average commercial fodder.
Lapua has thicker webs and more internal space.
I have some perterson 308 kicking around somewhere 50pcs. Someday it will get into the rotation?
Let us know what you find out.

what are shooting now and what do you think you will gain with “better” brass

I only know a few shooters shooting “highend” brass
338 LM and stuff like that.
the rumor mill is perterson os better than your average commercial fodder.
Lapua has thicker webs and more internal space.
I have some perterson 308 kicking around somewhere 50pcs. Someday it will get into the rotation?
Let us know what you find out.

what are shooting now and what do you think you will gain with “better” brass
Thanks. Their "story" about their manufacturing process suggests their brass may be better than most, but possibly just under Lapua (Peterson punches their flash holes, while Lapua drills theirs?). I'm currently reloading Federal Gold Medal brass. I find it has pretty good consistency in thickness, but I come across 5% with noticeable variation (>.001) at one or two points around the neck. I have just been sorting those. I also go through a full range of initial prep of cases once I collect them after firing the factory rounds (uniforming primer pockets, flash holes, sizing, trimming, etc, etc.). Hoping I could skip some of these steps (and have better consistency in neck wall thickness) with "better" brass (without going all the way to Lapua) (grin). Always looking for better consistency. Anyway, I'll let you know what I see when I get some Peterson. Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom