What did you do in the reloading room recently?

Let us know how they shoot. That coating job look a little wonky.
Oh really? Seemed comparable to other rifle coated bullets I have but we’ll see how they shoot. I hammered one of the bullets and the coating stayed intact. As long as they can hit my steel target inside of 100 yards I’m happy lol.

Oh really? Seemed comparable to other rifle coated bullets I have but we’ll see how they shoot. I hammered one of the bullets and the coating stayed intact. As long as they can hit my steel target inside of 100 yards I’m happy lol.
You’re good to go then.
the coating just looks very inconsistent and drippy. It’s weird but if it doesn’t flake off you’re probably fine.

I loaded a few .43 Spanish with 70 grains of Swiss 1 1/2, wad/grease cookie/wad and seated the bullet long. The group at 200 yards was a little to the right but small enough that all would have been in the black. Not bad for open sights and a 12 1/2 pound trigger. Now that I know the rifle will shoot, I'll fix both of those problems. I noticed much less fouling and the only difference was the grease cookie. A full case would be 80 grains but wouldn't leave room for the grease cookie. That's OK because this rifle doesn't like 80 grains. Neither does my shoulder.

Didn't load anything but did work on the APP
Original handle is hard on your hand and puts the arms between your fingers.

Swapped the stamped arms side to side, made up a couple of spacers on the lathe, and 3d printed a couple of bushings to use 3/4 conduit as a handle - will find out later if the wife noticed me missing from the dining room (conversation is 100% portuguese, I don't speak portuguese)
IMG_20210404_155843051.jpg

Homemade decapping die in the press ready to go through several hundred 380,9 and 45 once yard work lets up.

Attachments

• IMG_20210404_155833052.jpg
    IMG_20210404_155833052.jpg
    381.6 KB · Views: 5
Digital clock radio shreded it's last tune and let out a dying sigh and then nothing( RIP old friend) it was with me for the whole time I've owned this house 25 + years. New one form Amazon came today ( sounds kinda tinny ) but it's mostly just a clock. Decapped, sized, and primed a couple hundred .45acp. Went out and raked the back yard.

The bullets I was waiting for came a day early. At 0600 this morning I took a ride to my PO BOX and retrieved them
(the lobby is open 24/7), small town rural post office.

So, was at the press about 0800 and churned out a couple of hundred .45acp. Berry's 230 RN plated over 7gr of BR-5.

Loaded up some 30-30 with the zombie green bullets and Trailboss. They look like crayons 😂
View attachment 468901View attachment 468902
I just got home from shooting these off and some other old 30-30 factory ammo. I forgot to put my gel filled “pussy” pad on the buttstock...Just 30 rounds of various 150 and 170 gr ammo has tenderized my shoulder 😂
The Trailboss loads were so damn fun though.

Also tested the 44 mag loads with 2400. WOW what a noticeable drop in recoil but still cycles the gun just fine. Much more pleasant than my H110 loads.
plenty of blast though!
View attachment 469071

Ha!.......light up the range and fertilize the grass just ahead of the firing line with the unburned powder. 😆

I loaded a few .43 Spanish with 70 grains of Swiss 1 1/2, wad/grease cookie/wad and seated the bullet long. The group at 200 yards was a little to the right but small enough that all would have been in the black. Not bad for open sights and a 12 1/2 pound trigger. Now that I know the rifle will shoot, I'll fix both of those problems. I noticed much less fouling and the only difference was the grease cookie. A full case would be 80 grains but wouldn't leave room for the grease cookie. That's OK because this rifle doesn't like 80 grains. Neither does my shoulder.
Have I noticed a trend that you have a very unique collection of calibers? Not your standard run of the mill, 9, 223, 308...

Back to the bench to make some 357 tonight. The 9.6 grains unique under a 125 grain projo is a fun magnum and accurate load through thr blackhawk. But.....being .1 under max I'm seeing some primer catering so I'm backing down to 9.4.

20210405_162813.jpg

Back to the bench to make some 357 tonight. The 9.6 grains unique under a 125 grain projo is a fun magnum and accurate load through thr blackhawk. But.....being .1 under max I'm seeing some primer catering so I'm backing down to 9.4.
I found Unique a little twitchy at the top end in 357 too, although I was playing with 158s.

7.5 grains Unique, 158 grain Zero jacketed soft point
Out of a 6" S&W 586, average 1001 fps, standard deviation 28, max 1036, min 966. Notes state lots of blast from cylinder gap, and primer cratering.

Next time I tried it I went down to 6.0 and used 158 grain cast SNS, then up to 6.5.

At 6.5 with the cast 158s I got: average 1079, standard deviation 23, max 1103, min 1050

I found Unique a little twitchy at the top end in 357 too, although I was playing with 158s.

7.5 grains Unique, 158 grain Zero jacketed soft point
Out of a 6" S&W 586, average 1001 fps, standard deviation 28, max 1036, min 966. Notes state lots of blast from cylinder gap, and primer cratering.

Next time I tried it I went down to 6.0 and used 158 grain cast SNS, then up to 6.5.

At 6.5 with the cast 158s I got: average 1079, standard deviation 23, max 1103, min 1050
I found the load very accurate out of my blackhawk at 9.6 and a 125 grain jsp. Surprising accuracy in fact. It's a stout load and the muzzle blast is definitely there. I find it an economical load too compared to stuffing 22 grains of h110 into every case. 😂

Very impressed with Unique so far.

I found the load very accurate out of my blackhawk at 9.6 and a 125 grain jsp. Surprising accuracy in fact. It's a stout load and the muzzle blast is definitely there. I find it an economical load too compared to stuffing 22 grains of h110 into every case. 😂

Very impressed with Unique so far.
Take this with a grain of salt as this is all off hand shooting and I have good and bad days at the range, but with 6.0 grains and the cast 158 bullets, I was having trouble hitting a 2/3 size IPSC target at 100 yards (12" wide, 16" tall, 4"x4" head). With 6.5 grains, I could hit it more often than not. I don't think I tried going out to 100 yards with the 7.5 grain / JSP load.

Digital clock radio shreded it's last tune and let out a dying sigh and then nothing( RIP old friend) it was with me for the whole time I've owned this house 25 + years. New one form Amazon came today ( sounds kinda tinny ) but it's mostly just a clock. Decapped, sized, and primed a couple hundred .45acp. Went out and raked the back yard.
my old ass digital clock was all the rage way back.....f*** that thing goes back to high school!

Why am I not surprised that S&B 30-30 brass has tight primer pockets....just like their pistol brass

I got a bunch of free 30-30 brass from another NESer so I can’t complain but I had to seat the primer FORCEFULLY, rotate the case a 1/4 turn seat again then repeat one more time. Only 50 cases but I think I’m going to scrap them after I load them with Trailboss. What a PITA.

CCI and Win primers FWIW

Why am I not surprised that S&B 30-30 brass has tight primer pockets....just like their pistol brass

I got a bunch of free 30-30 brass from another NESer so I can’t complain but I had to seat the primer FORCEFULLY, rotate the case a 1/4 turn seat again then repeat one more time. Only 50 cases but I think I’m going to scrap them after I load them with Trailboss. What a PITA.

CCI and Win primers FWIW

Can you widen those pockets? Might be worth buying a reamer from McMaster.com for preserving the less popular brass sizes. You'd only need one for small primer and one for large

CCI and Win primers FWIW

I'd borrow a swager and try that before discarding a bunch of otherwise good brass.

I do agree, S&B primer pockets can be a pain but in all the S&B pistol brass I've reprimed over the years, they all work.

I use Win primers and they seem to conform better.....my experience with CCI primers has been less than stellar.

CCI and Win primers FWIW
Dont toss the brass. I have an RCBS swaging die that I could lend you if you want to go that route.
Amazon product ASIN B07PXD5LVBView: https://www.amazon.com/RCBS-Primer-Pocket-Swager-Combo-2/dp/B07PXD5LVB

Could also hit the pockets with a counter sink bit to allow easier seating start. Pm me if you want to borrow the swager. If you do toss the brass, toss it towards me.

Good luck

Back
Top Bottom