• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What did you do in the reloading room recently?

So, I realized how much I actually enjoy shooting my POS AR...

I guess I can use the magnum SRP for it. What's the going situation on sourcing 223 dies and powder? Looks like I can get bullets easily enough.
I have some 223 dies on backorder, but I also found them in stock at cabelas. Shell holder is a different story. Powder is available online if you pay attention

Added another trinket from eBay. Dillon texted the installation info...guess they quit making these ages ago.
I have a digital version on my MEC9000 when i was shooting trap alot. Its dot a dillon.
So, I realized how much I actually enjoy shooting my POS AR...

I guess I can use the magnum SRP for it. What's the going situation on sourcing 223 dies and powder? Looks like I can get bullets easily enough.
theres a broad range of powders and I thought I seen 223 dies in stock at midway?

Figured I'd make some cast-free 117gr JSWC Mk2s for the Argentine .

I've also got a limited amount of .2685" diameter jacketed bullets that might be suitable for your Carcano. Cast/coated bullets available in limited amounts, too. A few hundred jacketed bullets for the 7.35mm, so bring brass and I'll assist you in rolling both calibers.

Attachments

• IMG_0611.JPG
    IMG_0611.JPG
    434.7 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Prepped some range brass. Older guy shooting next to me was also shooting .45 colt and wanted to try a cylinder of my reloads. I let him shoot them out of my gun since I wasn't sure that his could handle my "Bubba's Pissin' Hot Reloads".

He gave me a box of brass when he was done shooting his ammo since he doesn't reload it. Nice guy.

Loaded up some more .243 too.

Got a trade lined up for some .223 dies and components for primers too.

Dog knocked my scale off the desk and it won't turn on now...thank goodness for Amazon 1 day shipping.

I just went to browse my favorite toy store's website. The one in Iowa. They are completely cleaned out of powder and primers obviously, but also shot. They have some shotgun wads, about double what they were a couple months ago. Womp womp.

I don't feel so silly for buying 75 pounds of shot and a thousand wads for myself for a Christmas present now, even though I haven't had much time to get to the range.

I was doing some work on the house and repairing a door sill and now have a few pounds of lead flashing that I'm not sure what to do with...

I just went to browse my favorite toy store's website. The one in Iowa. They are completely cleaned out of powder and primers obviously, but also shot. They have some shotgun wads, about double what they were a couple months ago. Womp womp.

I don't feel so silly for buying 75 pounds of shot and a thousand wads for myself for a Christmas present now, even though I haven't had much time to get to the range.

I was doing some work on the house and repairing a door sill and now have a few pounds of lead flashing that I'm not sure what to do with...
make shot or bullets out of it? OR give it to someone like me winkwink, nudge nudge

I think it looks like Mickey Mouse? Found this in the pile I sorted. Any ideas what may have caused this?

That’s weird. Is that another piece of metal stuck to the primer? Almost looks like a chunk and lead that got stuck between the primer and the breech.

Does kinda look like lead shaving. Soft enough to go into battery and fire.
Weather it was loaded on a press like that? The world may never know

Loaded .223 brass this morning. 136 rounds of 55 Gr FMJBT. Cases trimmed to 1.75 with #7 Remington primers. Used Accurate 2015 at 22.5 grains. Set the length to 2.22 to 3/4 up the cannelure. Testing with no crimp. Shooting out of Mini-14 with 1:7 twist. Haven’t been able to find heavier projectiles as I know these barrels like them. Will make notes after firing several groupings.

I traded some primers for a couple thousand .223 bullets. Mix of soft points and fmj. Few lbs of W748 and 1k range brass too. Just have to buy a die set and I'll be good to go.

Finally got some Hornady XTP too for the 45. Was going to load them up hot with H110, but it looks like they expand just fine at 1,100fps and push right through a deer. No need in the excessive recoil I suppose.

Got a bunch of berry's .452 230 grain plated bullets too, but I'm having a hard time figuring out if I can load them in .45 colt.

Loaded .223 brass this morning. 136 rounds of 55 Gr FMJBT. Cases trimmed to 1.75 with #7 Remington primers. Used Accurate 2015 at 22.5 grains. Set the length to 2.22 to 3/4 up the cannelure. Testing with no crimp. Shooting out of Mini-14 with 1:7 twist. Haven’t been able to find heavier projectiles as I know these barrels like them. Will make notes after firing several groupings.
I would try them at 2.250 and ignore the cannelure depth, no crimp.

Don't go too hot with 55gr generic bulk projectiles in the 1:7. The closer you push them to the max the more likely they are to loose stability (or vaporize on barrel exit, lol).

I would try them at 2.250 and ignore the cannelure depth, no crimp.

Don't go too hot with 55gr generic bulk projectiles in the 1:7. The closer you push them to the max the more likely they are to loose stability (or vaporize on barrel exit, lol).

Agreed. That 1:7 barrel is not likely to love projectiles under 69 grains, FWIW.

Got a bunch of berry's .452 230 grain plated bullets too, but I'm having a hard time figuring out if I can load them in .45 colt.
Sure you can. Same things to worry about as when using plated bullets for any other caliber. Don't want to deform them when you crimp. Don't want to drive them faster than what they are rated for. There are some loads for these bullets on on M.D. Smith's page here.

Sure you can. Same things to worry about as when using plated bullets for any other caliber. Don't want to deform them when you crimp. Don't want to drive them faster than what they are rated for. There are some loads for these bullets on on M.D. Smith's page here.
Great thank you. I'll give it a look. I've only loaded cast bullets before. Got these in a trade and figure I can use them as range fodder.

I typically shoot factory 55 grain with little issue other than larger groupings. Shooting from a 185 series mini 14.

"Larger groups" is what I was referring to. I did not say it would not work, simply that barrels that fast do not like light projectiles.

Meaning, they won't group well because they are spinning too fast and tend to destabilize, or shed the jacket and disintegrate depending on spin speed and bullet weight.

That was the point, sorry I had to explain it so verbosely for it to be understood.

20210326_181937_resized.jpg
Loaded up a precise three ziploc bags of 9mm, I believe around 500 rounds. Received my replacement triway trimmer yesterday. Looking forward to trimming some brass....super fun. Ordered some Peterson srp brass for the 6.5 yesterday as well, already shipped. Getting busy in the shop, warm weather-winter is over!

I typically shoot factory 55 grain with little issue other than larger groupings. Shooting from a 185 series mini 14.
Your not going to do much about the larger groupings with the 185 unless you put a barrel stabilizer on it did it to one of mine night and day still have to do the other. Accu strut I belive

Back
Top Bottom