What did you do in the reloading room recently?

I pulled some cases out of my bag of range brass and found a handful of them which have an off center flash hole. Interestongly enough, only GFL brass had this issue.

Some so far off center that I don't think my depriming die will even line up correctly.

Are you sure those aren't Berdan primed? See if there's actually 2 flash holes

I pulled some cases out of my bag of range brass and found a handful of them which have an off center flash hole. Interestongly enough, only GFL brass had this issue.

Some so far off center that I don't think my depriming die will even line up correctly.
In my limited experience with GFL and GECO brass in 357 magnum, it seems like I need to pay extra attention when prepping them to cull things that aren't awesome, compared to Federal or CCI or Winchester or Speer or Starline. Also they seem to have a lot of variation in length after sizing once fired stuff, so the first time I go through a batch of either I trim them. After that they seem fine.

Are you sure those aren't Berdan primed? See if there's actually 2 flash holes
Definitely boxer primed. Just off center. I put them through the depriming/resizing die and they worked fine. One needed some force, but I guess the die compensates for enough variation to make it work. Maybe I'm just being picky. All the starline brass is perfect. One of the GFL cases is even noticeably longer than the others. The herters brass is fine, I just stuck it aside for now.

They're still going in the reject box which I'll shoot when I just feel like tube dumping at pumpkins. See the one in the middle.

20210304_093354.jpg

Wow that's pretty crappy, unless the intent is to make it non-reloadable or not easily reloadable. From my experience, Herters brass sucks anyway, I tossed a bunch of it in 44mag because the primer pockets are just a little small and primers don't seat in them without a lot of effort and swearing lol.

Definitely boxer primed. Just off center. I put them through the depriming/resizing die and they worked fine. One needed some force, but I guess the die compensates for enough variation to make it work. Maybe I'm just being picky. All the starline brass is perfect. One of the GFL cases is even noticeably longer than the others. The herters brass is fine, I just stuck it aside for now.

They're still going in the reject box which I'll shoot when I just feel like tube dumping at pumpkins. See the one in the middle.

View attachment 457337
Those are not bad. Stolen from the internet but I have had the same issue with this brass , perfecta and that MaxxBrass stuff, it all went bang

Attachments

• 41BA1E91-C416-448B-AFEF-2C539C7F796C.jpeg
    41BA1E91-C416-448B-AFEF-2C539C7F796C.jpeg
    124.6 KB · Views: 2

I had a 100% failure on GFL brass for 380 acp recently and only two winchester (damaged cases)
The GFL would not fit in the shell plate and had no obvious damage - ended up tossing a couple dozen cases

View attachment 457337
I've been tossing out any GFL brass i have as I sort it. Had lots of problems with priming that 357 brass in the past....they just don't feel right when priming and had many I couldn't even get a new primer into. Also had quite a few of those that were long and buckled the brass when crimping. I just toss that brand now. Not even sure where I got that GFL stuff......saved my brass for years in 5 gallon pails and come across some every now and again when I dip into the pail.....they go right in the trash can now.

I have been sizing/trimming 7.62x39 brass on the 650, several different headstamps. The Winchester and Remington are okay as are the S&B. Geco and Fiocchi have given fits as some of the Geco with dented rims gets stuck or won't go into the shell plate. These all get shitcanned, just not worth the effort. The Geco and Fiocchi I've had a hell of a time forcing CCI #200 LRP's into...had to resort to using an RCBS bench priming tool and even that has been a beeotch. Then I tried the WLR's. They must be smaller in diameter as they went in a lot easier, but still pretty snug. All these have the primer pockets uniformed with a carbide tool, so not a question of not enough depth.

I have been sizing/trimming 7.62x39 brass on the 650, several different headstamps. The Winchester and Remington are okay as are the S&B. Geco and Fiocchi have given fits as some of the Geco with dented rims gets stuck or won't go into the shell plate. These all get shitcanned, just not worth the effort. The Geco and Fiocchi I've had a hell of a time forcing CCI #200 LRP's into...had to resort to using an RCBS bench priming tool and even that has been a beeotch. Then I tried the WLR's. They must be smaller in diameter as they went in a lot easier, but still pretty snug. All these have the primer pockets uniformed with a carbide tool, so not a question of not enough depth.
Possible crimp pocket?

View attachment 457337
Here is a hole box way off center. Of course its perfecta but I'll load it and let the kids shoot it of of a repeater and not worry about picking it up

Sorted a tumbler worth of 38 and 357.

Loaded 100 45acp berry plated 230 rn woth 5 grains bullseye.

That recipe is a nice easy one to run through thr turret. Bullseye meters great so no adjusting.....the projos are nice and clean unlike swaged lead with lube....and hardly any crimp so seating and crimping is just bump and go.

Want to load up 400 or so of that recipe before moving onto something else.

Question: Is it normal for .452 coated bullets to not chamber properly in a .45 ACP? They don’t pass the plunk test or the cartridge gauge?

Some fit in my Mark 23 but not the Glock 21 or 1911.

Do I need .451 bullets or is this a Hornady die thing? Feel like an idiot rn lol

Last edited:
Question: Is it normal for .452 coated bullets to not chamber properly in a .45 ACP? They don’t pass the plunk test or the cartridge gauge?

Do I need .451 bullets or is this a Hornady die thing? Feel like an idiot rn lol
.452 should be fine. What brand are the bullets?

Glock is the problem. Throw that crap away.
Did you check to make sure your crimp was good? I run .453” in all my guns and all of my friends that have cast and sized to .453” were fine in the guns too. My guess is the issue isn’t the size unless as stated above they are not truly .452”

What oal? What bullet profile?

Back
Top Bottom