What did you do in the reloading room recently?

Don't lock your powder in a tight container - powder simply burns without a container. Add a container and you get the explosion.
Open mesh cabinet or a container with a weakly attached side(s) will bleed off any pressure

When I first started reloading years ago, I thought I should store my 1# can of powder and primers in my fire safe because I don't want that stuff catching fire right?

Later on it occurred to me that storing that stuff in a sealed metal safe like that was a bad idea lol.

Wait, that's an automated tube filler? Why motorized filling the tubes and not motorized just feeding the primers direct into the press and skip the tube?

This seems a lot like the classic solution in search of a problem 🤣

They're out there, but not really an inexpensive option

Because you can do other stuff on your press while you're waiting for the tubes to fill, lol.. If you have the filler chained to the machine, the machine is useless until it's done filling.
I hand prime all my brass while relaxing, so maybe I'm just not the right guy for this. Lol.

To me if I'm going to spend thousands of dollars the press should do literally everything for me if I just pour bullets, cases, powder and primers into large (>500pcs) bins. Otherwise what is the point? You're just adding an immense amount of complication and electricity to something you still need to hand feed every 5-10min?

I'm not a big fan of relying on electricity for things like reloading unless you can stack so much ammo up it offsets the costs of production time. I'm producing about 300rds per hour 223 and 400rds per hour 9mm with no case or bullet mechanization. For me the output would need to be over 1000rds per hour and literally turn it on and walk away for it to make sense to invest more money, and how many people shoot that much?

My intention is not to piss on cheerios here. I'm just saying a lot of these items seem more like take-my-money feel good gimmicks than actual production increase for what 99.99% of people reload by quantity. If I had $400 to blow, I'd buy thousands more primers, not a primer tube filler that only takes me 3min to do myself by hand while the machine still takes 2min. Lol

First, its not an either or. If I could find primers to buy, I would buy them. The RF-100 won’t change that.

Second, for me this is about time. There are two ways it helps me:
First, I can fill a dozen primer tubes just by checking in on it every so often, swapping tubes, and hitting the button. If I had to fill tubes by hand then that means me at the bench not doing other things, like working.

Second, I can swap it to large primers and have it fill while I load 45. By the time I run out of primers, it will be done so I simply dump those into the press and add another flat of primers. That process can run for as long as I like without any additional time spent filling primer tubes.

Honestly, if I run it like that then I don’t even need my primer tube collection and zero time will be spent filling tubes.

So for me it is about time as that is my limiting factor.

Please dont wirry about judgement I was not easy on him , i was like “ what type of a**h*** runs bulk in a vudoo”. He was lucky to have a decent lot of CCI and we both where just off the MOA mark for 10 round groups. I blame the ammo for sure!!
Yeah people wonder why I shoot “expensive ammo” through my 22s Even out of my 75 yr old 513.
For the most part I run CCI standard and SK Standard Plus
Out of my Kidd barreled 10/22 , tac sol upper and 513t I have a variety of the mid to upper end of Match ammo but I generally dont shoot it unless Im going for Xs. More often than not Im shooting at 2-3” steel at random distances
Of course everything loves Tenex!
CenterX ran well in my old 513t but I only bout the 3 boxes they had oncthe shelf
Wondered about the flatnose only because its on the shelf locally. I really dont need more 22lr especially another brand/lot I cant get seceral thousand rounds of IF one of my guns likes it.

I think this was the scope he had , it was nice and the glass was really clear even at 60x at 100 yards but it was to much I had it on 30x
I rin 24x on my Sightron and I run a cheap mueller on 24x on another 22
Funny I have rings/mounts that cost more than my scopes!
I dont own anything thats really expensive , I have been tempted to sell most of my 22s and get one really nice set up
I am researching Kidd and want a nice reliable and accurate 10/22.

Prepped another 600 .45acp brass this morning, now just need more bullets.

I may take a ride to my local public range early on Thursday or Friday morning and screw a 24x24 inch "trading board" to one of the firing line roof posts for people to post anything they might have to trade component wise. I'm sure there are people around the area that have an "excess" of one thing and need another.

I just put one of those ATS tuners on my Bergara rimfire. I am not sure if I used it correctly or not. I also just got some center-x so maybe the better grouping was due to the better quality ammo. Maybe I should spend more time with it when the weather warms. Nice piece of equipment though.
I am by no means an expert. I am probably going to suck trying to explain it.

Starting with premium ammo does make a huge diffrence. With rimfire ammo, barrels and ignition are primarily what will dictate accuracy but that is a whole other topic.

Regarding the tuner. You have to find the top of node/wave. If you can’t find that with your tuner for each type of ammo your using a tuner is going to be extremely frustrating and difficult. Each manufacture’s tuner acts differently and the numbers on them do not actually correspond with any measurement. Tuners operate by 2 principles to help tune or control harmonics. Weight and dampening and there are a wide variety of tuners that use both principles. That’s really all we are trying to do is find the node at the top of the harmonic wave.

I am researching Kidd and want a nice reliable and accurate 10/22.
i swore I would never "do" a 10/22
I traded a pistol i hated for a older 10/22 with some pre ban mags , the trigger happened to be really nice and turned out to be a early kid.
I ended up with a Kidd heavy barrel and a titan stock , in hind sight i should have just bought a complete Kidd rifle ? Its a nice shooter and with mid range match ammo it will shoot moa when I can.
My original intent was to make my 10/22 look like a old school 22lr match rifle like a win 52 or Rem 40x

Last edited:
i swore I would never "do" a 10/22
I traded a pistol i hated for a older 10/22 with some pre ban mags , the trigger happened to be really nice and turned out to be a early kid.
I ended up with a Kidd heavy barrel and a titan stock , in hind sight i should have just bought a complete Kidd rifle ? Its a nice shooter and with mid range match ammo it will shoot moa when I can.
I hear you. I purchased a 10/22 new about five years ago. I always wanted a 10/22 so I figured what the heck. I put a decent piece of glass on it and tried my luck with various types of ammo only to gather 1st hand experience that a bone stock 10/22 out of the box is not too consistently accurate, well mine is not at least. Started scratching the surface on accurizing it and stumbled upon Kidd and a couple others. Other projects took priority and I am kinda glad. I still ponder with accurizing it or just going with a complete Kidd build. Someday soon I guess I will revisit my 10/22 dilemma.

I hear you. I purchased a 10/22 new about five years ago. I always wanted a 10/22 so I figured what the heck. I put a decent piece of glass on it and tried my luck with various types of ammo only to gather 1st hand experience that a bone stock 10/22 out of the box is not too consistently accurate, well mine is not at least. Started scratching the surface on accurizing it and stumbled upon Kidd and a couple others. Other projects took priority and I am kinda glad. I still ponder with accurizing it or just going with a complete Kidd build. Someday soon I guess I will revisit my 10/22 dilemma.

The only part of my original 10/22 that survived was the receiver. Shoots MOA at 100 with CCI mini mags. Tighter with Eley and better.

Decapped a 30 call can of 223 started cleaning and uniforming primer pockets by hand think I need a prep station. Never did it on 223. But figured I don't have any primers for them so why not
Sinclair International has solid carbide uniformers for not much money. Never come out of adjustment (Like RCBS do) and can't wear out...

🤦🏻‍♂️ Now you got me thinking even more. lol lol I got 3 projects/builds going right now. I don't want another one yet. Lol

what are your barrel specs on your Kidd?

That is the Kidd tapered barrel. I wanted to make it possible to hold off hand, which I figured would be more of a struggle with a full bull barrel.

Two stage Kidd trigger. Bolt, etc. Boyd’s At-One stock.

For the money, that Boyd’s stock is tough to beat if you like the style. I bedded it myself. Almost shit my pants when I couldn’t get it to release...

Think I will try one of those new Woox stocks for my Savage 12 though, I love the look.

So one of the local shops had a coffee can full of cast 158(ish) grain 38 semi wadcutters from an estate sale for a nice price that I couldn't resist. I don't have bullet lube. But I do have automatic transmission assembly lube. This is fine, right?
View attachment 425834
Emptied 50 of these that had been set on top of 3.5 grains of Red Dot. Nice little indoor 50 foot paper punching load. Not eardrum shattering. Standing, off hand, double action, was getting about a 3" group at 50 feet out of an old 6" S&W 586 and I'm sure that was me just being shaky. A little smoky, also did not seem to blow the cases out against the chamber all the way, some soot down the outside of the case walls. Could probably go up a little bit.

This load seemed to lead my revolver a little more than 3.8 grains of Titegroup did, but were not as loud, and were less flashy. Leading mostly at the front of the cylinder and the forcing cone, not so much the bore. Cleaned up with Hoppes #9, a few patches, and a few passes with a bronze brush. Indoor range at night, so no chrono data.

If their fainting goats please video. I can watch them all day.
Goats didn't faint. The 4.8gr was a lot cleaner. That was good. It's a snappy little load, we'll see if the daughter likes it.
Ramshot needs to put some True Blue back out. I might try clean shot the next time I see some for sale.

I pulled some cases out of my bag of range brass and found a handful of them which have an off center flash hole. Interestongly enough, only GFL brass had this issue.

Some so far off center that I don't think my depriming die will even line up correctly.

Back
Top Bottom