What did you do in the reloading room recently?

Tried a few homemade slug loads out of the 12 ga. AOW this morning. Shooting 2 handed like a pistol the groups at 25 yards were all in the black of a 50 foot target but opened up to small paper plate size at 65 yards. Elevation was still right on at 65 yards but overall recoil is a bit snappy. It sucks getting old but so far it's still better than the alternative.

Primed 50 .45 Colt. I really don't like the mounted classic press I have and I've just been using the hand press for everything. I'm in no rush and I feel like I can make things more consistent. I'm sure my attitude will change in time.

Also, a charge of Longshot in 45 brass leaves it looking empty.

Ended up selling my .38spl dies and SPP since I realized that I'm not using my snub nose .38 into a target gun and had bought a case of defensive ammo back in 2015 which I still have.

I will be sure to tell him that when he lugs the 65 pound shoe box over to my door, opens it, and sets it inside my porch. I'm sure he will smile and say thank you.

Not all of us are flaming dickbags.
Im sorry to hear your UPS guy wont be happy.
I used to ship a lot of lead shot. 50lbs in USPS flat rate. 4-5 boxes every few weeks. The usps guy would hem and haw then the old lady USPS worker would come around and push the guy off to the side " watch out pussy I will handle this"
Tossed those boxes onto the cart like no tomorrow. All while smiling and chit chatting and would not allow me to handle the boxes. "Cant have you getting hurt on USPS property now"
The guy didnt last much longer there, lady said he was a little bitch.

Rcvd my 30-30 dies and box of range pick-up brass. Got a mix or Winchester, FC, RP and PPU. Deprimed, sized and trimmed to 2.030. Will be running Unique behind a Lee C309-170-F. Have a bunch cast but not hitek coated, might just lube and gascheck.
Lyman manual from 1967 has a start of 8 and max of 11. Everyone online reports best results with 9.5-11. Will be shooting in a Winchester Model 64 w/ 24" barrel. I have never loaded for this caliber, any tips?
20210226_180433.jpg

Might want to make sure they are sized sufficiently for a lever gun. (I'm assuming a 64 is lever action?) I had a Winchester model 88 years ago and discovered lever action lacks the camming power of a bolt gun. Maybe make up a dummy round to try before loading a bunch?
I am wanting a lever action in a pistol caliber in the worst way...

Eventually he'll get to Accurate or maybe IMR.

We started at IMR

ok, to clear things up, which i should have done in the op, i used IMR 4064. I knew there were two 4895's but until today, didnt realize there were two 4064,s.....And ive been reloading since 74. Goes to show how much ive used Accurate powders........

Perfectly happy with it for what I paid. The measure cost me $19.99. I'm a low volume reloader. I make a about 100 to 200 rounds a week. It's not worth me spending bigger money on Dillon or RCRB. In short....I don't have an issue and never said I did.

The thing throws bullseye and 2400 dead on.
I'm a pretty new reloader , but I have zero complaints about my RED turret press , I think it was a pretty damn good deal for the cost and what you receive.

I was weighing out some powder and 7.6 grains (max load) of W572 really leaves a 45 colt case looking empty. I could seriously dump in a quadruple charge with room to spare.

While there is not anything technically wrong with it, I try to avoid high density powders where this is possible. I like the case at least half full, so powder spills if I were to ever double charge.

Rcvd my 30-30 dies and box of range pick-up brass. Got a mix or Winchester, FC, RP and PPU. Deprimed, sized and trimmed to 2.030. Will be running Unique behind a Lee C309-170-F. Have a bunch cast but not hitek coated, might just lube and gascheck.
Lyman manual from 1967 has a start of 8 and max of 11. Everyone online reports best results with 9.5-11. Will be shooting in a Winchester Model 64 w/ 24" barrel. I have never loaded for this caliber, any tips?
View attachment 455268
As stated above. Make sure they chamber. I know Marlins can have very short throats. A tiny bit of engraving on chambering is good for accuracy.
I haven’t messed around too much accuracy wise but my buddy loaded some ring like 18.5 grains of IMR or H4198 with that bullet. Gas checked and lubed and it shot lights out in his Marlin.

My .30/30 load for many years has been a Lyman 31141 (from before they standardized on a 6 digit number) and 15 grains of SR4759 (I've recently changed to AA5744 because of availability) Now that all your range brass has been resized, you may be able to avoid full length resizing if you're only shooting it out of that one lever gun. Full length resizing is supposedly harder on brass than neck sizing but I've never tested the theory.

I was weighing out some powder and 7.6 grains (max load) of W572 really leaves a 45 colt case looking empty. I could seriously dump in a quadruple charge with room to spare.
Like the .38 Special, which was originally a black powder cartridge, they have very large case capacity relative to the typical smokeless powder charge. A .38 Special with a book charge of Clays takes about seven charges to overflow. A double, even triple charge is hard to detect unless you look directly into the charged case.

Back
Top Bottom