What did you do in the reloading room recently?

Is .45 Colt brass always so expensive?

I'm seeing once fired, mixed headstamp brass for $1.90 each and factory cowboy ammo for $1.69 each. Is the cowboy loaded brass less desirable or is this just a case of weird pandemic pricing?
Pandemic retard facebook prices.

I don't see much in stock, but it looks like new brass hovers around $30 for a bag of 100

Thats what I'm using with unique. The Lee perfect powder measure. My goal is 9.6 grains best I can get is 9.4 to 9.9. So a .5 swing. Not good enough for bullseye loads.....definitely not good enough when loading near the top of published data. I check each charge woth unique and that measure.

Unique is flakey.
There’s your issue. Red reloading equipment.

I'm seeing once fired, mixed headstamp brass for $1.90 each and factory cowboy ammo for $1.69 each. Is the cowboy loaded brass less desirable or is this just a case of weird pandemic pricing?
Usually it’s cheap. The few people that sell it once fire or range brass on forums and such usually charge more than you can find it new. It’s one of those weird pieces of brass that no one parts with.

Guys, although they may not have every caliber under the sun, call Midstate Gun Company in Coventry, RI. They have an indoor range and they offer o-f brass for sale at reasonable prices. I just bought some 7.62x54R brass a few weeks ago for $20 per 100.
They only offer factory, boxer-primed brass, as they don't allow reloads on the range.
In fact, they came through for another NESer with some 6.5 CM for 25¢ or 30¢ a pop (I forget the price).

There’s your issue. Red reloading equipment.

Usually it’s cheap. The few people that sell it once fire or range brass on forums and such usually charge more than you can find it new. It’s one of those weird pieces of brass that no one parts with.
Perfectly happy with it for what I paid. The measure cost me $19.99. I'm a low volume reloader. I make a about 100 to 200 rounds a week. It's not worth me spending bigger money on Dillon or RCRB. In short....I don't have an issue and never said I did.

The thing throws bullseye and 2400 dead on.

There's a buy-sell-trade thread on the discord server. I've managed to find 30 carbine and 30-30 brass there.
I think you're on discord right?

Perfectly happy with it for what I paid. The measure cost me $19.99. I'm a low volume reloader. I make a about 100 to 200 rounds a week. It's not worth me spending bigger money on Dillon or RCRB. In short....I don't have an issue and never said I did.

The thing throws bullseye and 2400 dead on.
Have you tried to spray paint it blue to see if it helps the consistency?
I would consider you an avid reloader to the point it’s worth spending some extra for a tool that’s used all the time.
I know it’s hard to justify the Dillon or the RCBS but keep your eyes peeled for old Lyman 55s. They are very consistent and I don’t think I’ve paid of $25 for any of mine or the ones I’ve scored for friends and trade fodder.

I've got a new love affair with unique for 357 mag. Only 9.6 grains under a 125 grain jsp produces a respectable velocity and very economical....and the groups I am getting are amazing. I had the highest slow fire score at bullseye league last week using that load and it was my first time ever shooting bullseye league. Yes.....an actual 357 mag load for bullseye shooting. The groups were just too good so I had to try them for league night.
Not surprised to hear it. I've never used Unique, but sometimes Universal is considered an alternative, and I've used that a bunch. I have a load of a 125 grain ZERO JHPC over 7.5 grains of Universal that shot about 1 MOA 5 shot groups out of my Henry, give or take. I loaded a bunch of those bullets over 7 grains in .38 special cases for use in my Rossi. That's well above safe .38+P pressure but modest for .357M. I don't have very many .38+P revolvers, but I got tired of having .38 revolver buster ammo lying around, despite my over-the-top labeling, so I've been working on shooting them up. I finished up the lot yesterday in my 4.2" Ruger GP100, which has a Leupold 4x scope on it. It was stupid accurate.

Have you tried to spray paint it blue to see if it helps the consistency?
I would consider you an avid reloader to the point it’s worth spending some extra for a tool that’s used all the time.
I know it’s hard to justify the Dillon or the RCBS but keep your eyes peeled for old Lyman 55s. They are very consistent and I don’t think I’ve paid of $25 for any of mine or the ones I’ve scored for friends and trade fodder.
Serious question. I've seen rcbs powder measures for $90. They operate the same principle as the Lee perfect measure for $20. The rcbs is built "better" as it's metal and the lever is smoother. But how does it throw more consistent drops of flakey powder vs a Lee measure?

Just saw the email that LP shipped my die set, primer pocket tool, and random pen (needed another couple dollars for free shipping). Even during the largest rush on gun supplies possibly ever, they still manage to ship same or next day. They'll keep getting my (wife's) hard-earned money.

Had a 5 gallon bucket of walnut shells in my garage which I was saving. I gathered them all and used to give them to my chickens to play with, but one choked on one so I stopped.

I cracked and pressure washed them. Going to back over them a few times with my truck in preparation for my brass tumbler 2.0. Anyone know a better way to crush these things? I'll report back with photos when it's complete.

Also, rejoined as a NES member after a few years hiatus. Uploaded the only logical avatar photo.

Had a 5 gallon bucket of walnut shells in my garage which I was saving. I gathered them all and used to give them to my chickens to play with, but one choked on one so I stopped.

I cracked and pressure washed them. Going to back over them a few times with my truck in preparation for my brass tumbler 2.0. Anyone know a better way to crush these things? I'll report back with photos when it's complete.

If you know anyone up that way that brews their own beer and has one of these-

1613671705191.png

Serious question. I've seen rcbs powder measures for $90. They operate the same principle as the Lee perfect measure for $20. The rcbs is built "better" as it's metal and the lever is smoother. But how does it throw more consistent drops of flakey powder vs a Lee measure?
Well because it’s built better and made of metal.
I’ve only used a Lee when setting up presses for buddies but from what I’ve seen it’s a sloppier fit and wears a bit with use. Some of plastic parts flex and leak powder. My cousin had tons of issues with his throwing inconsistent charges and leaking powder. Swapped to a Dillon press and no more issues.
My guess is they can machine the metal parts to much tighter tolerances and they are too stiff to flex and throw off the charge weights.

Can't find any 30-30 ammo so ordered a Lee die set. Already cast for .308, Lee C309-170-F, and have about 1k in a bucket. Searched and searched online for brass and finally found a seller of mixed range pick-up brass. $20 for 50, free shipping. Now to decide on Unique or H335 as I have both.
If you need some 30-30 brass I have some. I don't have a 30-30 if your up one the north shore some time think I have like 150 rounds. But I'm down for awhile just had some work done on my spine typing from the hospital let me know if your up here some time.

If you need some 30-30 brass I have some. I don't have a 30-30 if your up one the north shore some time think I have like 150 rounds. But I'm down for awhile just had some work done on my spine typing from the hospital let me know if your up here some time.
Appreciate the offer, thanks. Hope your recover is quick.

Pre-pandemic, I got 500 pieces of new 45C brass for $107, I think.

I only mention this to throw out some other possibilities in the face of insane prices for once-fired brass. 45 "cowboy special" and 45 Schofield brass can be backordered at a major manufacturer. Probably take a few months. Maybe somebody has tried these in a 45 Colt lever gun. I wouldn't bother. But in a revolver they should be options. The Schofield rim is slightly larger in diameter than the 45 Colt rim. I'd probably modify the brass, not the revolver, if it didn't fit.

The real question is how can you afford to buy/setup that or feed it without selling ammo??
I know competitive shooters who have one. They go through tens of thousands of rounds per year, so it makes sense.

What I don’t get is: what happens when a glitch happens with the brass, or Bullets or primer feed. I don’t know about you, but I usually have to pause every 100-200 rounds to deal with something wonky, particularly with range brass.

I know competitive shooters who have one. They go through tens of thousands of rounds per year, so it makes sense.

What I don’t get is: what happens when a glitch happens with the brass, or Bullets or primer feed. I don’t know about you, but I usually have to pause every 100-200 rounds to deal with something wonky, particularly with range brass.
I agree. It scares me more than it impresses me 🤣

The computer system is supposedly quite aware of such problems or the whole thing would just pound cases into pennies lol

This is from the Autodrive unit, which I would consider for the Dillon 650:

"Mark 7 Autodrives are the top choice for when you choose to automate your DILLON hand operated reloading press.The combination of our patented digital sensor technology, torque sensing motor and jam sense technology ensures a safe and trouble free loading experience."

I too have similar questions though bc I have to intervene with brass on a fairly regular basis to the point that I wonder how much productivity automation would increase.

Last edited:
The computer system is supposedly quite aware of such problems or the whole thing would just pound cases into pennies lol

This is from the Autodrive unit, which I would consider for the Dillon 650:

"Mark 7 Autodrives are the top choice for when you choose to automate your DILLON hand operated reloading press.The combination of our patented digital sensor technology, torque sensing motor and jam sense technology ensures a safe and trouble free loading experience."

I too have similar questions though bc I have to intervene with brass on a fairly regular basis to the point that I wonder how much productivity automation would increase.
“Pound cases into pennies”
That’s hilarious and accurate.

That’s the point. Given how often I have to intervene because of “something”, the automation might not be as exciting as it seems. Besides...as a leftie, how else am I going to give my right arm a workout to keep up with the left?

Back
Top Bottom