What did you do in the reloading room recently?

I haven't been shooting enough rounds to need to reload anything, and I won't need to for a long time, but I saw that I was in reach of having no open canisters of powder if I did a little bit more. So I loaded a couple hundred of my 300 grain 45 Colt loads (circa 20K PSI) to use up my open canister of Auto Pistol. Ran out after 196. Opening a new canister would have defeated the purpose, so I researched N110 loads and modeled them with Quickload, settling an N110 load for the last 4 that should come pretty close in velocity to the Auto Pistol loads (and at lower pressure, of course). Then I turned my attention to that N110 canister. After loading 100 of 158 grain .357 magnum cartridges, I took it down to just 95 grains. So close.

Did some more trading with jpm today. Got me a bunch of 30-30 brass and 300 savage ammo.
42C99805-1D2C-4E61-AEC0-01AFCE964696.jpeg
Then stopped by Glenn’s in N. Reading and bought the last of the Winchester 150 gr RN bullets and a bag of 300 savage brass. Doubtful I’ll be reloading 300 savage anytime soon but good to have the components if need be.

Did some more trading with jpm today. Got me a bunch of 30-30 brass and 300 savage ammo.
View attachment 432494
Then stopped by Glenn’s in N. Reading and bought the last of the Winchester 150 gr RN bullets and a bag of 300 savage brass. Doubtful I’ll be reloading 300 savage anytime soon but good to have the components if need be.
Are his shelves pretty stripped? I'd guess no primers, very little powder, etc?

I was just thinking, as late as I got into reloading, November/December was a lot better than right now, lol!

Are his shelves pretty stripped? I'd guess no primers, very little powder, etc?

I was just thinking, as late as I got into reloading, November/December was a lot better than right now, lol!
He had one pound of 2400 at $29 left that I was tempted to buy just because of the SHTF. But aside from that his powder was limited to some 296, WST and some rifle powders I don’t use. No primers.

I tried a few of the older primers this morning and they all went off correctly so I guess I'm good. They seem to be quite old. The trays aren't plastic. They're cardboard with little wood dividers.
Like these...
..they've run just fine for me, too. Loaded some in 9x19mm the other day.

Attachments

• 1.5 Remington.jpg
    1.5 Remington.jpg
    278.2 KB · Views: 1
From what the industry says about the stability of the non-corrosive formulations, it sounds like the primer compound would last indefinitely as long as it isn't immersed in any liquids, and even then they can be pretty resilient if your goal is to render them inert. Maybe there's some organic solvent that has vapors that could affect it? Don't know, but if they were stored decently, I'm going to place my bet on non-corrosive primers going boom regardless of the decade they're from, at least if they were reliable when they were brand new.

Took 50 of the coffee can full of cast but not lubed 158 LSWC, coated them with Lee alox, loaded them up with 3.5 grains of Red Dot.

Also squirreled away 1000 CCI #200, 1000 Hornady 50 grain .224 Z-max, and a couple pounds of IMR 3031 that a local shop had... I don't even have anything that uses a large rifle primer but I'd kind of like to load 6.5 Creedmoor someday...

These beauties showed up today. It’s amazing how I can get a package from Slovenia in 3 days but a package from brownells took 3 weeks. These toolhead a are immaculate can’t wait to get them set up.I’m determined to load some precision stuff on the 550. Armanov was a pleasure to deal with as well. I placed an order on Saturday night for one toolhead and 2 rings than decided instead of waiting (from what I’ve read people say usually 2-4 weeks for shipping) and paying extra shipping id just get more so I have them. I emailed them Sunday I beleive and within a few hours they got back to me with updated invoice and even gave me 15% off entire order. Now if my conversion kit and powder die ever get here I can start the journey. Ordered the same time through Dillon should be here early next week.

Attachments

• 7C74D1D2-63DF-4DF7-9002-9E106EDEEE88.jpeg
    7C74D1D2-63DF-4DF7-9002-9E106EDEEE88.jpeg
    569.5 KB · Views: 7
I haven’t tried them in press yet but the toolhead alignment dowels are threaded and these toolheads are meant to be tightened to the frame and then free floats the dies independently of one another. A lot of the long range guys are running these or there are a cpl other companies that produce something similar.

These beauties showed up today. It’s amazing how I can get a package from Slovenia in 3 days but a package from brownells took 3 weeks. These toolhead a are immaculate can’t wait to get them set up.I’m determined to load some precision stuff on the 550. Armanov was a pleasure to deal with as well. I placed an order on Saturday night for one toolhead and 2 rings than decided instead of waiting (from what I’ve read people say usually 2-4 weeks for shipping) and paying extra shipping id just get more so I have them. I emailed them Sunday I beleive and within a few hours they got back to me with updated invoice and even gave me 15% off entire order. Now if my conversion kit and powder die ever get here I can start the journey. Ordered the same time through Dillon should be here early next week.

So the theory is that rather than have the tool head float, and all 4 stations argue about what the average misalignment is, the individual lock rings float so each die aligns itself?

That's pretty slick!

Off to the internet...

Like these...
..they've run just fine for me, too. Loaded some in 9x19mm the other day.
Congrats on successfully making a time machine to go back in time to buy primers! But you didn’t have to go all the way back to when “primers for the new fangled smokeless powder” showed up in stores.

Last edited:
It’s like Christmas in this sumbitch! I love when my wife just rolls her eyes when I open boxes. she asked what this was for I said it was the tool I needed to fix the leaking ball valve on my furnace. 😂

Attachments

• 71DD002C-3B85-4390-B5CC-1248A9C63114.jpeg
    71DD002C-3B85-4390-B5CC-1248A9C63114.jpeg
    360.2 KB · Views: 9
I would like to celebrate this momentous occasion, my first rifle round. Here we have the humble 223, with a 50 grain Hornady Z Max loaded to 2.260" OAL with 24.5 grains of IMR 3031 and a CCI #41 primer from a box of 1000 I bought three presidential elections ago when I thought buying that many primers all at once was crazy and just opened tonight, and Federal 223 brass fired once in the rifle they will be going back into. Putting 10 of them together, will chrono and see how they group, and go from there.

223.jpg

I would like to celebrate this momentous occasion, my first rifle round. Here we have the humble 223, with a 50 grain Hornady Z Max loaded to 2.260" OAL with 24.5 grains of IMR 3031 and a CCI #41 primer from a box of 1000 I bought three presidential elections ago when I thought buying that many primers all at once was crazy and just opened tonight, and Federal 223 brass fired once in the rifle they will be going back into. Putting 10 of them together, will chrono and see how they group, and go from there.

View attachment 433210
Congratulations! That’s an awesome feeling right there when you handle your first cartridge

Congratulations! That’s an awesome feeling right there when you handle your first cartridge
I started off 4 years ago loading 38 special. Figured I'd start off on a straight wall low pressure round that didn't have to run an action. Then 9, 40, 357, and 12 gauge. Got to the point where I feel like I have a decent idea what I'm doing with those. I only have a little time over the winter to play, then it's flat out work for most of the year, so I've been piecing together the bits for rifle, but kept putting it off. I figured now was as good a time as any, 'cause who knows what new laws are in the pipeline now.

I started off 4 years ago loading 38 special. Figured I'd start off on a straight wall low pressure round that didn't have to run an action. Then 9, 40, 357, and 12 gauge. Got to the point where I feel like I have a decent idea what I'm doing with those. I only have a little time over the winter to play, then it's flat out work for most of the year, so I've been piecing together the bits for rifle, but kept putting it off. I figured now was as good a time as any, 'cause who knows what new laws are in the pipeline now.
You nailed it. No time like the present.

Scored a bunch of 357 mag brass at the range yesterday. Then scored a couple handfuls of HXP 30-06 brass today at the range. Though I’m not shooting much 30-06 lately I couldn’t leave that nice brass behind to be scrapped.
brass should only be scrapped if its NFG.
Case brass scrap is still on the low side.
June 2019 I got 1.74/lb i think its stalled around $1.15

Back
Top Bottom