• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What did you do in the reloading room recently?

I knocked out 2000 rounds of 9mm during my vac. Will probably do another 1K while I wait for my AR9 parts to come back from the Cerakote shop.

I'm also thinking of upgrading from my Dillon 550B to the XL750. Not sure it is worth the cost to upgrade though. I can knock out 350 to 400 rounds/hour on the 550 if I don't run into any hiccups. Does anyone think it makes sense to upgrade to the XL750? What are the benefits other than more rounds/hour?

I knocked out 2000 rounds of 9mm during my vac. Will probably do another 1K while I wait for my AR9 parts to come back from the Cerakote shop.

I'm also thinking of upgrading from my Dillon 550B to the XL750. Not sure it is worth the cost to upgrade though. I can knock out 350 to 400 rounds/hour on the 550 if I don't run into any hiccups. Does anyone think it makes sense to upgrade to the XL750? What are the benefits other than more rounds/hour?
More rounds an hour. Case loader is great. I also have a 550 i use for creating loads or small runs. I use the 650 for 9 and 40 because I shoot those the most.

If you like it and its producing well enough I would leave it be and put the conversion cost to a new 750

Anyone trimming 30-30 brass? I don’t know when my Lee cutting case gage thingy is going to arrive. I noticed a few cases were at 2.045". Max trim length is 2.039"....I feel like being a lazy/impatient f*** and not trimming 😂
As MJS said, chamber one and see what happens.
You will need to trim when the brass grows to the point of binding on the rifling/chamber throat, but until it binds, I wouldn't think precise trimming is mandatory.
Of course, if your brass lengths are all over the place, your crimp grooves or cannelures will be all over the place, too, relative to the case mouth.
If you have bullets without such, I won't be able to see it from my house.

As MJS said, chamber one and see what happens.
You will need to trim when the brass grows to the point of binding on the rifling/chamber throat, but until it binds, I wouldn't think precise trimming is mandatory.
Of course, if your brass lengths are all over the place, your crimp grooves or cannelures will be all over the place, too, relative to the case mouth.
If you have bullets without such, I won't be able to see it from my house.
Thanks. I just tried chambering some of the long ones and they do make it noticeably harder to close the bolt/lever. Dang. I guess I’ll have to go through and measure them all and set the long ones aside.

Seems like the max case length is about all my Marlin will handle. Anything over 2.039" makes it harder to close the action.

Quick and dirty Mount. First time setting up so I purchased the Ballistic Tools primer pocket go/no gauges. Slowly adjusted the swage rod until I could get the go gauge in and set it. Working pretty good so far only done 50 or so.

Attachments

• 293FAA78-CEAC-40C7-855F-EE1F8F960DC2.jpeg
    293FAA78-CEAC-40C7-855F-EE1F8F960DC2.jpeg
    264.8 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
That's awesome! Do you sell them? If yes, I would buy a few. Very cool.
Thanks, I don‘t sell them, but there are guys at the gun shows that do.

However you can get kits to make similar at Pen Making Supplies, Kits for pen makers, Fountain Pen Parts and more

If you get the kits with the 7mm tube already installed, then you can just press fit the pen transmission and the other parts together. Making them from your own brass was a little more complicated as you have to drill out the primer pocket and trim the 7mm tube to fit. They make a 7mm to 8mm spacer between the brass and the 7mm tube that is useful so you don’t need to use glue. Apparently pen makers like to be able to fully disassemble the pen if needed.

Thanks, I don‘t sell them, but there are guys at the gun shows that do.

However you can get kits to make similar at Pen Making Supplies, Kits for pen makers, Fountain Pen Parts and more

If you get the kits with the 7mm tube already installed, then you can just press fit the pen transmission and the other parts together. Making them from your own brass was a little more complicated as you have to drill out the primer pocket and trim the 7mm tube to fit. They make a 7mm to 8mm spacer between the brass and the 7mm tube that is useful so you don’t need to use glue. Apparently pen makers like to be able to fully disassemble the pen if needed.
Thank you!

Yesterday and this morning I trimmed, deburred and loaded 250rds of some Berdan primed R1M1 and FNM 7.62x51 brass that I had primed and put away about four years ago. Loaded them with resized 150 grain combloc bullets and
WC-846 pulldown powder.

Last edited:
Quick and dirty Mount. First time setting up so I purchased the Ballistic Tools primer pocket go/no gauges. Slowly adjusted the swage rod until I could get the go gauge in and set it. Working pretty good so far only done 50 or so.
My bench is only 30”x30” just about everything is mounted n the same manner as you.
Someday I will put rails on the bench and use a quick clamp set up. For now clamps and wood work

Been kind of a boring New Years seeing there isn’t much to do besides staying home. Wife still a little uncomfortable about going out to restaurants or anywhere there may be groups of people. So looks like I have to try and keep myself preoccupied, so down to the basement and pump some Iron or is that lead? Maybe copper? Whatever! All I know is that I got my daily work-out in. Damn my arm feels great!

Attachments

• 847DDF27-002C-43D5-A84E-E09D8A2C2E72.jpeg
    847DDF27-002C-43D5-A84E-E09D8A2C2E72.jpeg
    523.8 KB · Views: 2
  • 046CFF51-53E0-45E5-8F00-7B4A274B31D2.jpeg
    046CFF51-53E0-45E5-8F00-7B4A274B31D2.jpeg
    558.5 KB · Views: 2
Been kind of a boring New Years seeing there isn’t much to do besides staying home. Wife still a little uncomfortable about going out to restaurants or anywhere there may be groups of people. So looks like I have to try and keep myself preoccupied, so down to the basement and pump some Iron or is that lead? Maybe copper? Whatever! All I know is that I got my daily work-out in. Damn my arm feels great!
Damn you’re arm looks great man CAF75512-70F8-4656-AB82-6CBE403DFA9D.jpeg

Man I wish my Lee 30-30 FCD and case gage trimming tool would arrive. Ordered 12/22 from the one vendor who had them in stock.

Never thought 30-30 reloading tools would be hard to get even during this shitshow were in right now😂

@Michael J. Spangler I assume you flare the cases and crimp the cases with those cast 30-30 loads right? I’ve already got the lee universal case expanding die.

Loaded the last of my 150 and 170 gr bullets today.

My coated 30-30 165 gr Bullets arrived today. Not bad for $.16 each shipped.
I loaded up just a few with trail boss to try out. I didn’t expand the cases or crimp them.
45EDA197-5005-426D-9584-5BE094AE5EE7.jpeg
77EA60E9-87A4-4D8F-881D-25F2FFF36A12.jpeg
I pulled a couple and it scraped a little bit of the coating off but not horrible.
D1C76F31-B632-4B4B-BBA1-4B0BEA3CC29C.jpeg
Once my crimp die arrives I will flare the cases to ensure the coating doesn’t get scraped off and then I can close the flare with the crimp die.

scrounge through reloading supplies not touched in a decade

21.0 gn - H110 power from 2007 1 lb container
small mag primers from 2009
125 JHP projectiles from ??
Ruger GP100 6" from 1988
Shooting Chrony from the mid 90's
60 year old finger on the trigger

Load 5 for load testing
Bang at 1860 FPS

load the other 995 this week

Man I wish my Lee 30-30 FCD and case gage trimming tool would arrive. Ordered 12/22 from the one vendor who had them in stock.

Never thought 30-30 reloading tools would be hard to get even during this shitshow were in right now😂

@Michael J. Spangler I assume you flare the cases and crimp the cases with those cast 30-30 loads right? I’ve already got the lee universal case expanding die.

Loaded the last of my 150 and 170 gr bullets today.
Yes. I use a Lyman M die and crimp separate from seating. I think I have a Lee FCD but I can’t remember. It’s been a while since I’ve loaded any.

My coated 30-30 165 gr Bullets arrived today. Not bad for $.16 each shipped.
I loaded up just a few with trail boss to try out. I didn’t expand the cases or crimp them.
View attachment 430571
View attachment 430572
I pulled a couple and it scraped a little bit of the coating off but not horrible.
View attachment 430573
Once my crimp die arrives I will flare the cases to ensure the coating doesn’t get scraped off and then I can close the flare with the crimp die.
What suze are the bullets?
I have been lucky with cast loads. Never needed more than a slight flare and crimp.
I will be fooling around with the lee neck collet die to see if it does anything.
Just received my LFC for 6.5 swede as the swede seating die does not crimp

What suze are the bullets?
I have been lucky with cast loads. Never needed more than a slight flare and crimp.
I will be fooling around with the lee neck collet die to see if it does anything.
Just received my LFC for 6.5 swede as the swede seating die does not crimp
.309"
I always had to flare the cases with 30-06 and 7.5x55 using coated bullets. I’ll just do the same with these.

So apparently the 44 cal 240 gr XTPs I bought from a vendor a few weeks back were actually ‘streak’ bullets?? They have a gel on the base that will glow red when fired. He didn’t specify this when I bought them. But he sent out a newsletter last night with streak bullets for sale and said they have a gel on the base of the bullets. Then it dawned on me that is what he sent me. Pretty cool. I’ve already loaded some a couple weeks ago with H110. Can’t wait to see how they work.
View attachment 429140
View attachment 429142

Though he told me that they're not bright like tracers. Damn!! I was hoping they were. He said more visible in low light conditions.
Shot some of these late in the afternoon yesterday and was very disappointed😂
I think you definitely need to shoot these in the dark

Shot some of these late in the afternoon yesterday and was very disappointed😂
I think you definitely need to shoot these in the dark
I know what you mean, I had purchase a few boxes and was unable to really see anything in the daylight like a real tracer. But when I was at the indoor range with a couple friends we turned off all the lighting and it was very dark and we shot a few mags, it was absolutely bright and looked like a tracer.. only the rear of the projectiles have that glow gel so you have to be sort of behind it to see it really glow. The shooter will see it nice and bright all others not so much unless your directly behind the shooter.

Loaded up the last 400 of my .429" Speer 240gr JHPs, 300 with Auto Pistol to be 1000-ish FPS loads in the model 69. Since my stock of reduced-recoil loads for the 69 is getting pretty significant, I decided to load the last 100 over N110 again, but this time seated as shallow as possible with the case mouth still reaching into the cannelure. Before I seated them as deeply as possible to crimp into the cannelure, so this is just something a little bit different to see if I can get better accuracy out of these in any of my rifles.

Priming more 223 today. I am not a fan of these Wolf SR primers. They continue to be hard to seat.

I have also identified that whoever setup the LC primer crimp machine went very heavy in 2013 and then eased it up in 2014 a hint. Before and after that the primers start smoothly. The 2013s are super tight. I will not need to worry about those pockets opening over time.

Back
Top Bottom