What did you do in the reloading room recently?

i found the FA walnut was very fine vs the lyman that came with my lyman tumbler and i ended up with lizard liter as its even more coarse than the lyman.
So What I did with the RA
i had a old sieve with fairly fine holes. I just sifted out the fine stiff. I then lightly used compressed air to blow off a bit more. In a small bucket i just blew across the rim it will suck the lightest stuff out.

This got me by until i bought some more from the pet store.
Then I learned the Nufinish and Oderless Mineral hack . I use the cap of the nu finish bottle one cap of NF one cap of OMS. Let it run for 20min until its mixed in well. i will add again after 5 or so runs or as needed. Dryer sheets help a little.
Oh and probably to much lube from the get go

Note: i seldom run them in the tumbler to remove lube. Only time I run them is when Im making long term storage bulk ammo. Its hard to tell my cases are lubed unless you touch it.
Ahh hadn't thought of adding mineral spirits. I'll have to grab some of that. And sounds like I should buy different media. You like that lizard litter media? I think using something less dusty and more coarse would be ideal.

i found the FA walnut was very fine vs the lyman that came with my lyman tumbler and i ended up with lizard liter as its even more coarse than the lyman.
So What I did with the RA
i had a old sieve with fairly fine holes. I just sifted out the fine stiff. I then lightly used compressed air to blow off a bit more. In a small bucket i just blew across the rim it will suck the lightest stuff out.

This got me by until i bought some more from the pet store.
Then I learned the Nufinish and Oderless Mineral hack . I use the cap of the nu finish bottle one cap of NF one cap of OMS. Let it run for 20min until its mixed in well. i will add again after 5 or so runs or as needed. Dryer sheets help a little.
Oh and probably to much lube from the get go

Note: i seldom run them in the tumbler to remove lube. Only time I run them is when Im making long term storage bulk ammo. Its hard to tell my cases are lubed unless you touch it.
This stuff?
Amazon.com : Zilla Reptile Terrarium Bedding Substrate Desert Blend Walnut, 5-Qt. : Pet Habitat Decor : Pet Supplies

I hate to admit but this was fresh walnut media. First time using it.
I probably did use a little too much lube but still.
Ok so how long do you tumble? I stopped using the walnut because it was pretreated and that’s when I started to notice the build up on cases. I figured between the pretreated media and the capful I added now and then it was too much. My bowl was covered in the stuff too.

Some good ideas here. I'll be due for new media soon and will try the lizard litter stuff.

I run my pistol cases in carbide dies, so no need to lube. Imperial wax for the rifle cartridges. I process large batches and put it on with my fingers while watching something on TV with the Mrs. Once sized, I wipe with a soft paper towel (Viva etc.) and hand prime- again usually while watching the tube with Mrs. Mountain. Keeps me from being a total basement troll when reloading.

Ok so how long do you tumble? I stopped using the walnut because it was pretreated and that’s when I started to notice the build up on cases. I figured between the pretreated media and the capful I added now and then it was too much. My bowl was covered in the stuff too.
I think I tumbled these for a couple hours - only because I had to leave and do some errands otherwise I probably would have tumbled for 30-45 minutes. This shit is just so dusty. No idea if it's pretreated. Lot of complaints on amazon for this FA walnut media - all saying extremely dusty and messy. Sounds like I need to throw this shit out.

My old fashioned method doesn't require much, if any, post sizing cleaning. A little petroleum jelly on the lube pad or fingers usually suffices. Only if I get to generous with lube, might I wipe the shoulder/neck area before sizing.
If I do need any lube on the inside of the case neck (often necessary with my 6.5x55mm dies), I can simply wipe it with a paper towel to keep powder from sticking to this area.

What’s everyone’s method for removing case lube?? I resized some 30-30 brass today using the lanolin mixture. I put them into a Tupperware container and spray them about 4 or 5 times and shake. Then dump into tumbler with walnut media after resizing.

I’m getting tons of dried walnut dust on the caserim as well as inside casemouth. I spent over an hour removing the clumpy dust crap off the cases.
View attachment 427475View attachment 427476View attachment 427477

I used to use corn cob media and had the same result so this time around I tried walnut.

Too much god damn dust in this media. It’s that Frankfort Arsenal brand.
My method is similar to others regarding the lizard bedding with NuFinish and odorless mineral spirits.

Not sure how everyone else does it but I lube, load and then tumble finished rounds in the walnut to get the lube off. I dont tumble empty cases to get the lube off.

I think I tumbled these for a couple hours - only because I had to leave and do some errands otherwise I probably would have tumbled for 30-45 minutes. This shit is just so dusty. No idea if it's pretreated. Lot of complaints on amazon for this FA walnut media - all saying extremely dusty and messy. Sounds like I need to throw this shit out.
Yeah sounds like the media is junk. Since I switched to grit o cob I try to never use anything else. That stuff is so nice and dust free.
You can get it from Clint sales in Beverly. That’s close to you right?
I never knowingly used reptile bedding but I’ve heard mixed reviews on it. I do know that I’ve used some dusty junk and the grit o cob is the best I’ve seen.

Yeah sounds like the media is junk. Since I switched to grit o cob I try to never use anything else. That stuff is so nice and dust free.
You can get it from Clint sales in Beverly. That’s close to you right?
I never knowingly used reptile bedding but I’ve heard mixed reviews on it. I do know that I’ve used some dusty junk and the grit o cob is the best I’ve seen.
Ahh yes I keep forgetting about Clint sales. Yeah he’s only about 20 min from me.

My method is similar to others regarding the lizard bedding with NuFinish and odorless mineral spirits.

Not sure how everyone else does it but I lube, load and then tumble finished rounds in the walnut to get the lube off. I dont tumble empty cases to get the lube off.
Gotcha. Well after seeing the level of clumped dust on/inside the cases, I was hesitant to charge them with powder. Didn’t know if that would effect how the powder burns etc.

Last edited:
Gotcha. Well after seeing the level of clumped dust on/inside the cases, I was hesitant to charge them with powder. Didn’t know if that would effect how the powder burns etc.
I dont blame you. That was always my concern as well. Clumps of walnut in the case, a granule stuck in the flash hole, etc.

I just suffer through handling tacky cases during the reloading process and when theyre loaded and done, the last thing I do before they go in the box/can is tumble the lube off. That way the inside of the case never sees any walnut.

What’s everyone’s method for removing case lube?? I resized some 30-30 brass today using the lanolin mixture. I put them into a Tupperware container and spray them about 4 or 5 times and shake. Then dump into tumbler with walnut media after resizing.

I’m getting tons of dried walnut dust on the caserim as well as inside casemouth. I spent over an hour removing the clumpy dust crap off the cases.
View attachment 427475View attachment 427476View attachment 427477

I used to use corn cob media and had the same result so this time around I tried walnut.

Too much god damn dust in this media. It’s that Frankfort Arsenal brand.
I use corn cob. I have a separate bag I keep aside solely for removing case lube. That is, I change the brass cleaning media out for the case lube removal media. Never had a problem.

Im thinking of gearing up to wet tumble dirty cases and dry tumble with clean walnut/nufinish/OMS to remove lube. Thinking I may be over complicating things though. The layer of fine dust all over the reloading area has finally got to me.

Up early this morning with the dogs and loaded fifty 175gr fmj 30cal match grade bullets into 30.06 LC brass with 46.5gr of IMR 4064.

It's just a starting load so it's easy on the brass.

I've got a whole 50cal can full to the top with these I picked up from gibrass.com in Owensboro KY twenty years ago.

Last edited:
Ahh hadn't thought of adding mineral spirits. I'll have to grab some of that. And sounds like I should buy different media. You like that lizard litter media? I think using something less dusty and more coarse would be ideal.
I like it as I found it cheap, what 10 years ago petco had a BOGO free and I talked with the kid about any damaged bags. He said meet me around back. So I had a 50% off and a BOGO for 2 large bags and the kid have me 4 more bags that had been ripped. No telling what came out. Its darn near a full 5 gallon bucket worth and I have the 2 new bags still un opened.

First 30-30 rounds off the press. The load data for 150 gr FN (these are Winchester’s) and IMR-4064 is all over the place but I think I got a decent starting charge at 30.7 gr...2.55" OAL
75CD22FC-1C1E-4302-8BD9-94A6FDC6A19D.jpeg
Waiting on the Lee FCD to crimp them but I’d like to shoot them tomorrow. @jpm suggested single loading them until I crimp them.

Any other advice for loading 30-30? I didn’t trim or chamfer the cases as they were all just a hair over the trim to length.

But I’m excited to shoot this 67 year old lever gun!

I also have some Speer 170 gr FN bullets.

Loaded up some Speer 170 grainers. Damn these are nice bullets. Hitting the range tomorrow afternoon with my dad. He hasn’t shot the old Marlin 336 since he was a teenager (67 years old now). Happen to be made the same year he was born which is cool.
6F9ED634-4834-4BFE-AAD5-6EE0D86F597E.jpeg

Anyway, I noticed that chamfering the casemouths definitely helps with seating bullets. I had one that shaved some of the copper jacket off.
03692CD5-5527-4E9F-8275-83B534C128F8.jpeg
I know once I get some of Norms gas checked coated bullets, I’ll have to flare the cases then close the flare with a crimp.

Loaded up some Speer 170 grainers. Damn these are nice bullets. Hitting the range tomorrow afternoon with my dad. He hasn’t shot the old Marlin 336 since he was a teenager (67 years old now). Happen to be made the same year he was born which is cool.
View attachment 427866

Anyway, I noticed that chamfering the casemouths definitely helps with seating bullets. I had one that shaved some of the copper jacket off.
View attachment 427867
I know once I get some of Norms gas checked coated bullets, I’ll have to flare the cases then close the flare with a crimp.
Nice work man!

Damn I love me some 30-30. I think I need to load some now.
The Lee mould I use is a copy of the Lyman 311041 in plain base. It’s just about perfect for my chamber. Seated to the crimp groove it just engraves into the rifling.
7B5B55B7-6C59-4346-939A-25DBDFB889A0.jpeg

Nice work man!

Damn I love me some 30-30. I think I need to load some now.
The Lee mould I use is a copy of the Lyman 311041 in plain base. It’s just about perfect for my chamber. Seated to the crimp groove it just engraves into the rifling.
View attachment 427873
Haha thanks. Yes you need to! I never thought I’d be getting into another caliber to reload but that Marlin is too damn cool not to.

What are you using for powder with those nice lead bullets? Unique? 2400?

Back
Top Bottom