What did you do in the reloading room recently?

Question for the dillon/progressive reloading crew

Powder dispensers typically dispense based on VOLUME

Charges and spec are predicated on WEIGHT

There's variation from throw to throw of several tenths of a grain on most powder dispensors due mostly due to variation in the powder itself

Are you progressive loaders just accepting several tenths variation in charges or is dillon powder dispensor somehow a much better mousetrap than RCBS/Lyman etc?

Too bad progressive reloaders dont seem to offer a powder dispensor that is weight based
Same here. It’s always within 1/10th of a grain. Some powders don’t measure as close as that supposedly but I can’t say I’ve run into one yet.
The only one that gave me fits was Universal clays. Very fluffy stuff and it needed a couple dozen taps on the size to settle it before it would throw consistently.
If not it would take a couple dozen powder charges before it settled it.

There's variation from throw to throw of several tenths of a grain on most powder dispensors due mostly due to variation in the powder itself

Are you progressive loaders just accepting several tenths variation in charges or is dillon powder dispensor somehow a much better mousetrap than RCBS/Lyman etc?

Too bad progressive reloaders dont seem to offer a powder dispensor that is weight based

The difference is nothing depending on what you are doing. For example, USPSA, 1/10th is nothing.

For anything precision, I use a single stage with a powder drop that is close to what I need, then finish it off with a trickler. Anyway, 1/10th is not a big deal (Unless you are trying to win F class nationals), even for precision, the bullet weight and seating depth will have a greater effect.

How would you offer a powder dispenser that is weight based? ... Besides the automatic ones dumping powder on a scale.

Adding that I individually hand weigh charges for anything intended for more than 300yds.

Any progressive press shouod be able to produce 1MOA ammo all day. You can hit someone in the face at 300 with 1MOA.

Great points. I definitely hand weigh 300 yd+ match reloads. 1 MOA is minute of X-ring at 300 yards (3" diameter).

Though Varget is my favorite large bore match powder, I have a little trouble with consistent throws due to the way it flows. I definitely have to keep an eye on it. Benchmark flows like water and I can set it and forget it for most match purposes except 600 yard XTC reloads and bench rest shooting.

Current reloading room project is loading up several batches of .308 for the M1 Garand National Match clone. These are my skinflint loads- brass free from a friend, Nosler Custom Competition 168 grain blems, and some lower priced powder that's been sitting in my cabinet. I'm burning though a jar and a half of 2520 to use it up. It flows essentially as well as Benchmark and is easy to just drop one after another. If I do well with these loads, maybe I'll replace it when out because it meters so well and it's cheaper than Varget and Benchmark by ~$50 per 8 lb jug. Otherwise will just stick to Varget.

The difference is nothing depending on what you are doing. For example, USPSA, 1/10th is nothing.

For anything precision, I use a single stage with a powder drop that is close to what I need, then finish it off with a trickler. Anyway, 1/10th is not a big deal (Unless you are trying to win F ass nationals), even for precision, the bullet weight and seating depth will have a greater effect.

How would you offer a powder dispenser that is weight based? ... Besides the automatic ones dumping powder on a scale.
This is a great point.
I used to load for 300 RUM which used powder charges in the 80-100 grain range depending on powder and bullet weight.
When reading about accuracy in all those big magnums I remember reading that you should look at the powder measure consistency as a percent of the total charge.
1/10 of a grain in a precision 223 load that uses 22-26 grains of powder is a lot larger percentage of the overall weight than 1/10 of a grain in a 100 grain charge.
They of course shot for the highest accuracy possible but when loading to find OCW they said that jumping up in 1/10 or 3/10 or even 1/2 grain increments was way too fine of an adjustment to finding nodes.
Now loading the puny 6.5 creedless you might want to worry about that difference

For anything precision, I use a single stage with a powder drop that is close to what I need, then finish it off with a trickler. Anyway, 1/10th is not a big deal (Unless you are trying to win F class nationals), even for precision, the bullet weight and seating depth will have a greater effect.

I became too impatient to use tricklers a few years back. Now I keep a little cap full of powder and grab a pinch to either go in or out of the load. I'm getting pretty good as guessing the weight and figure that if my hands are clean and dry I'm not going to cause a problem with the powder.

I became too impatient to use tricklers a few years back. Now I keep a little cap full of powder and grab a pinch to either go in or out of the load. I'm getting pretty good as guessing the weight and figure that if my hands are clean and dry I'm not going to cause a problem with the powder.
I hear you. Tricklers can be painfully slow.

If I was into serious long range competition and I was shooting a lot, I would buy an automated powder dispenser.

This is a great point.
I used to load for 300 RUM which used powder charges in the 80-100 grain range depending on powder and bullet weight.
When reading about accuracy in all those big magnums I remember reading that you should look at the powder measure consistency as a percent of the total charge.
1/10 of a grain in a precision 223 load that uses 22-26 grains of powder is a lot larger percentage of the overall weight than 1/10 of a grain in a 100 grain charge.
They of course shot for the highest accuracy possible but when loading to find OCW they said that jumping up in 1/10 or 3/10 or even 1/2 grain increments was way too fine of an adjustment to finding nodes.
Now loading the puny 6.5 creedless you might want to worry about that difference

Damn, almost made it through the month without someone trashing my favorite caliber!

6-5-man-bun-jpg.175727

Damn, almost made it through the month without someone trashing my favorite caliber!

6-5-man-bun-jpg.175727

I’m sorry....... sorry it’s your favorite that is 😂

I love how many articles I’ve seen comparing all the old classics to the Creedless and knocking it down. Yes there are 10,000 predecessors that do the same thing and some do it better. I love seeing new twists and “innovation” in the gun world though. Even if it’s sub par.

I’m sorry....... sorry it’s your favorite that is 😂

I love how many articles I’ve seen comparing all the old classics to the Creedless and knocking it down. Yes there are 10,000 predecessors that do the same thing and some do it better. I love seeing new twists and “innovation” in the gun world though. Even if it’s sub par.

I understand. High BC projectiles are rather silly when one never shoots beyond 25 yards. ;-)

Depends on the powder or the composition of the powder.
Its either 7 or 800X that meters like oatmeal for me. Charge weights were all over the place.
Bullseye and 231 just flow like water. Little finer grain.

RL15 was the same thing. The ball and stick stuff, I could hear a crunch like it was shearing the sticks in two.
That stuff I would weigh out on a scale. It was painful, but I also didn't have a dispenser and a trickler.

I use TiteGroup, WST, and Bullseye powders with a Dillon powder measure. My scale is a GemPro 500 that measures out to 0.05 grains. I verify the weight of 4 cartridges for every 100 I load. Three are random, and the 4th is every time the low primer warning goes off. I keep track of each weight through the loading session, and across multiple sessions (yes, just a touch of OCD). Since all the powders I use are noted for being very good even measuring powders, I'm never off by more than +/- 0.10 gr.

That's plenty good for action pistol shooting where the smaller targets may be 6 inch steel at 35 feet.

I don't load any rifle calibers so I don't know if that's an acceptable range or not. I would guess that unless it's super precision, it would be fine because you're using so much more powder that 0.10 would be a much lower percentage difference. Probably be fine for .223 or .308 to whack steel at 100 yards all day long.

I agree, .1 grain is my happy place wrt margins

Currently I discharge directly into a shell

Tare the scale with shell on it then discharge into shell and weigh. trickle as needed

That way I'm no going back and forth with powder in/sticking to containers/other handling issue

I was envisioning something similar but automated where the shell is weighed/scale tared then powder discharged into the shell by weight much like the 400 dollar rcbs/lyman machines do......but in a press
I dojt even think lapua match ammo is loaded to that degree of special.
For pistol unless your pushing the very edge of max variance in powder drop should not be a issue.
IF your getting a +/- of .2 or more something is up.

My hornady powder drop seldom drops on the + side its those pesky - ones that pop up sometimes.

If you run a rifle that shoots less than 1.5moa and do a OCW test you will find a node where sometimes even a larger shift in powder variances will still shoot with in that POI/POA, when you tighten groups up you may see a larger impact dispersal down range at long distances.

Its all good. I have my powder measure mounted so theres a little wiggle to it. I manual drop and raise the throw lever to solid stop .

Some powders do like to bridge and cause a flow problem.
if you can figure out a way to get it to dump the powder in your case while on the machine?

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c54nuMXU3Qo

Last edited:
Same here. It’s always within 1/10th of a grain. Some powders don’t measure as close as that supposedly but I can’t say I’ve run into one yet.
The only one that gave me fits was Universal clays. Very fluffy stuff and it needed a couple dozen taps on the size to settle it before it would throw consistently.
If not it would take a couple dozen powder charges before it settled it.
I've only used Universals' Clays a couple times, both times I used a powder baffle on top of the powder in the hopper to help it throw evenly, It looked fluffy in the bottle.

Just wrapped up loading all the PPU .308 brass I could find in my stash. Should keep the 308 M1 supplied for a few of the offhand matches. I had a handful of PPU 7.62 NATO brass and half expected it to be the same brass with a different head stamp. Not true! PPU indeed makes each according to spec and the 7.62 brass is heavier. Run through the same sizing dies and setting, I can feel the neck pressure is higher for the 7.62 when seating.

Since it's a small qty, I'll use the 7.62 for sighting in and maybe check POI with a couple .308's before wrapping it up.

Head's up to the reloading crew here. If you need CCI Small Pistol primers and have a box of 1,000 Large Pistol (non magnum) to trade- let me know. Would be FTF in the Central Mass area.

edit-

Whoops. Grabbed the extra box from back of the locker to have ready for trade and it was Small Pistol Magnum.

Last edited:
No love for LSWC in 9? Not a nine shooter but everyone runs plated, is there a reason?

If your gun feeds them okay, go for it.
There are very few casters that use this profile in the 9mm. Most tend to favor the basic round nose or truncated cone style (Lee 356-120 TC, for example). You'd probably have to find an old timer that has the older molds for that bullet profile, I don't know.
Are there that many bullseye shooters with 9mms that require crisp holes on paper?

No love for LSWC in 9? Not a nine shooter but everyone runs plated, is there a reason?
Plated are cheaper foe those that dont run cast or cast their own, plus no bullet lube smoke , as the fancy coatings gain in popularity might see a shift away from plated?
I run a lee 358-140gn swc in ( well did sold my SW 52) ran fine with no problems right from the start. Accuracy was as good as i could shoot with anything else.

Back
Top Bottom