• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What did you do in the reloading room recently?

Still reorganizing and finding I need more things that will need organizing. I seasoned my brass molds and tweaked my 3$ hot plate. So I guess you could say things are getting pretty serious

also acquired a rock chucker of sentimental value of sorts. So now the lee might be for sell. I only need one single stage press right?????

riigghhhhhttttt!!!!!!!!![troll]

Still reorganizing and finding I need more things that will need organizing. I seasoned my brass molds and tweaked my 3$ hot plate. So I guess you could say things are getting pretty serious

also acquired a rock chucker of sentimental value of sorts. So now the lee might be for sell. I only need one single stage press right?????

As long as it’s not Red then you should be good for a lifetime

theres always a need for another press. Even if it is red

I'm unhappy enough that I have to reload 9x19. Fortunately, I have a case of 380, and at the rate my wife shoots, that may last a year or more. But now that you mention it, I guess I will need to save that brass and get a 380 die set. God only knows how much 380 is going to cost when the dust settles and there is any to buy.

meh:
I use a .223 Remington sizer to size/decap. You can finish them off with your 9x19mm dies with a little improvisation. Use the .223 Remington sizer, sans decap stem, to taper crimp (just touch the mouth).

Load those heavy bullets in a .38 Special case to eliminate the bulge problem. You can still load them as if it's a .357 Magnum, as you'll be chambering them in a .357 Magnum cylinder anyways. I've used the Lyman 358315 (204gr.) in this manner. When seated to a workable COL in a .357 Magnum case, they bulge, making them non-chamberable (if that's a word)..

Attachments

• P2280023.JPG
    P2280023.JPG
    48.7 KB · Views: 10
  • P2280024.JPG
    P2280024.JPG
    52.1 KB · Views: 10
slightly off topic...back in the day, mid-late 80's, we loaded 35 caliber rifle bullets in 38 cases. i can't remember the bullet weight or loading data, i'll have to look in the archives. ol is 1.604". these were pretty stout and in the course of the silhouette season, my partner and myself eroded our share of dw forcing cones over the years. i had a custom t/c barrel made also, with a chamber cut just for these loads, i think from the jurras shop. below is the last remaining example and i'm hesitant to pull it apart.

20201109_090640.jpg

Load those heavy bullets in a .38 Special case to eliminate the bulge problem. You can still load them as if it's a .357 Magnum, as you'll be chambering them in a .357 Magnum cylinder anyways. I've used the Lyman 358315 (204gr.) in this manner. When seated to a workable COL in a .357 Magnum case, they bulge, making them non-chamberable (if that's a word)..
I’ve only loaded them in 38 case so far. The cool thing is the dual crimp grooves allows you to load them short or long and still get a good crimp on them.

slightly off topic...back in the day, mid-late 80's, we loaded 35 caliber rifle bullets in 38 cases. i can't remember the bullet weight or loading data, i'll have to look in the archives. ol is 1.604". these were pretty stout and in the course of the silhouette season, my partner and myself eroded our share of dw forcing cones over the years. i had a custom t/c barrel made also, with a chamber cut just for these loads, i think from the jurras shop. below is the last remaining example and i'm hesitant to pull it apart.

View attachment 409493
Looks like you used wadcutter brass there. I bet that would keep them from having a bulge issue. The brass being straight walled almost all the way to the bottom

Well, my wife took out her 380 EZ, so it looks like I have to load up some more 95 grainers in the empties.

Pictures! We don't need no stinkin' pictures! (but here you are, anyway.)
Why do some of them look a little bulgie at the top part of the brass, is it normal? Almost looks like they are oversized. Just curious, I haven't reloaded enough to know...

Why do some of them look a little bulgie at the top part of the brass, is it normal? Almost looks like they are oversized. Just curious, I haven't reloaded enough to know...

The .223 Remington die that I use to size the .380 Auto brass sizes to about .371" mid length. With a .355" bullet seated the mouth mic's at .372". You do see a slight ring where the base of the bullet is, but it in no way adversely affects the functioning of the round.
I don't have a complete .380 Auto die set and no other sizer die that I possess allows for proper grip of the bullet.
To be honest, I'd rather have the .001" diameter variation instead of risking movement of the bullet seating deeper during chambering due to light case grip.

Speaking of which (and I'll throw this in for free), if you ever have any sized .45 Auto cases that allow the bullet to slip right into the case (I've found many R-P nickel-plated cases with this issue), run them into your .308 Winchester sizing die as appropriate, to get them to grip the bullet properly. They will still head space properly when finished. Many will just cull them from the mix, but they can be salvaged, if you want to bother.

Last edited:
Cara Fett and I decided to start reloading last week (late I know, but better than never), although we've policed brass during range visits for quite some time. Powder and bullets were acquired last night, and the reloading starter kit un-boxed this evening. Assembly waits for a deeper dive into the Hornady handbook and inspiration from the 16" bench thread. Dies and holders arrive later in the week.

While Luck smiled upon everything else, she walked away during the search for small pistol primers and small rifle primers. Hopefully, something will shake loose by the time we're sufficiently researched a first load and the bench is ready to go.

Lots to learn, and I'll be a frequent reader in this forum along the way.

Cara Fett and I decided to start reloading last week (late I know, but better than never), although we've policed brass during range visits for quite some time. Powder and bullets were acquired last night, and the reloading starter kit un-boxed this evening. Assembly waits for a deeper dive into the Hornady handbook and inspiration from the 16" bench thread. Dies and holders arrive later in the week.

While Luck smiled upon everything else, she walked away during the search for small pistol primers and small rifle primers. Hopefully, something will shake loose by the time we're sufficiently researched a first load and the bench is ready to go.

Lots to learn, and I'll be a frequent reader in this forum along the way.
Where are you located?
If near hanover ma I can give you 200 primers to get rolling , it could be 130 I did not open the 2 sleeves of rem SP to see if they are both full

Where are you located?
If near hanover ma I can give you 200 primers to get rolling , it could be 130 I did not open the 2 sleeves of rem SP to see if they are both full
Very generous offer. We've got the day off and are willing to drive out from the Groton/Littleton area, if the timing works out for you. I'll follow up with a PM.

Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom