• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What did you do in the reloading room recently?

bought a used MEC 600 Jr 5 from a guy who's no longer got time for shotgun reloading. Came with the EZ primer. Guy also threw in a huge box of Win AA 2-3/4" red hulls, a bag of 500 Claybuster WAA12 wads and about 5 lbs of #9 shot. he also gave me what was left of an old can of "Hurricane Red Dot" dated from 1990. LOL. Don't think I'll use that.

So.. trying to figure this out... it has a 302/118 charge bar and a #29 bushing. I know the "118" on the bar means 1-1/8 oz of shot

So.. according to Hodgdon's online data, say.. If I were to buy CCI 209 primers and Titewad powder, with 1-1/8 oz lead shot, this is the data for the Win AA hulls
Hodgdon Titewad CCI 209 WAA12 15.3 gr 10,300 PSI 1,090 fps

The MEC bushing chart shows the #29 throwing 20.6 of Titewad.
I'm guessing that if I use the recipe above, I need to get a #20 or #21 bushing since the #29 throws too much powder, while the #20 and #21 throw 14.4 and 15.0 gr respectively.

Alliant chart says the #29 bushing throws various amts of their powder, 17.1-31 gr., probably depending on the powder type.
for Red Dot, says 17.1 gr. So according to this recipe that shows 18 gr max, I'd be good using a #29 bushing with 2 3/4-in. Winchester AA Plastic Shells, Alliant Red Dot powder, Win 209 primers, WAA12 wads, and 1-1/8 lead shot?

just want to make sure I'm reading all this data correctly.

so can anyone confirm that I'm understanding this right?

so can anyone confirm that I'm understanding this right?
if the powder was stored correctly it should be fine. What we dont know is if the contents are what they say they are. I seen plenty of shotgun powders in stock.
The MEC bushings are like the lee auto disc. They can get you close but not always perfect.
Dont know where you are but i think i have some MEC 600 jr bars and bushings kicking around.
Hunt down the adjustable charge bar

if the powder was stored correctly it should be fine. What we dont know is if the contents are what they say they are. I seen plenty of shotgun powders in stock.
The MEC bushings are like the lee auto disc. They can get you close but not always perfect.
Dont know where you are but i think i have some MEC 600 jr bars and bushings kicking around.
Hunt down the adjustable charge bar

There's really not that much powder in there so it's not a big deal.

I really want to make sure I'm reading the charts correctly.. When I see powder and primers available, I want to make sure I pick up the right bushing if I need to.

thanks.. that universal charge bar looks good.. no more bars/bushings.. dial in what shot and powder loads.. seems much simpler.. I'll have to try to find that.

There's really not that much powder in there so it's not a big deal.

I really want to make sure I'm reading the charts correctly.. When I see powder and primers available, I want to make sure I pick up the right bushing if I need to.

thanks.. that universal charge bar looks good.. no more bars/bushings.. dial in what shot and powder loads.. seems much simpler.. I'll have to try to find that.
If I find those bushings I will let you know what I have and if you want them I could mail them out. I run clays powder for my 12g trap loads and IIRC I was running a #30 bushing before I got the adjustable charge bar

Attachments

• 30612FF5-7144-4E58-9F98-A510C349A89B.jpeg
    30612FF5-7144-4E58-9F98-A510C349A89B.jpeg
    600.1 KB · Views: 22
Wow! Mike those look great! I really like that gold color. Nice job!! They look better than the what I just received today! It’s not my color of choice but they are starting to grow on me, the wife likes them. It’s getting tougher to find anything in stock so I had to get what I could get!
Thanks man!
If you ever want a casting lesson let me know. You could make 1000 in a hour and not worry about “in stock”

Wow! Mike those look great! I really like that gold color. Nice job!! They look better than the what I just received today! It’s not my color of choice but they are starting to grow on me, the wife likes them. It’s getting tougher to find anything in stock so I had to get what I could get!
is that Hytec or powder coat. Cool color

Ok so my neck expander die arrived. I did a few experiments to try to dial in and came up with these. The max over all length is 28mm. The shell trim length was 18-19. These still seem fugly. I do plan tView attachment 408230o powder coat future batches but this is a test run. What say NES?
You need to mod your seating stem to fit that bullet - or grab a new stem.
If you have access to a 3d printer, I do models for printed bullet seater dies - post up the mold and I'll put a model for it up on Thingiverse

Haven't reloaded anything yet, still cleaning the garage. What a sh*t collector that is. Anyways, found two five gallon buckets of wheel weights that I forgot about. Looks like I already sorted them at one point, maybe I will break out the ingot mold sometime this week.

Mounted the Mec600jr to some MDF for clamping to the bench. Got a small bag of Remington gun club hulls thanks to the trap/skeet guys at the club. Wads are on their way...almost ready to rock.
Where are you located? I will poke my head into the shell bucket at hanson rod and gun and see whats there. They should be busy today as its nice out. Heck I,might even shoot a round or 2???

Where are you located? I will poke my head into the shell bucket at hanson rod and gun and see whats there. They should be busy today as its nice out. Heck I,might even shoot a round or 2???

I'm in Marshfield. Appreciate the offer.

Also, if @EMTDAD doesn't want those MEC bars and bushings, I'll gladly take them off your hands ;-)

Mounted the Mec600jr to some MDF for clamping to the bench. Got a small bag of Remington gun club hulls thanks to the trap/skeet guys at the club. Wads are on their way...almost ready to rock.

Planning a range trip today, so will look in the blue barrels at our shotgun range for hulls. Checked with the guy I gave the hulls to, he ditched them right after he got them. Said he would only use the silver hulled AA's...:rolleyes:

Sorted out a batch of stuff I bought from someone retiring from reloading.
Lots of 44 special 45 Colt and 45/70 brass. 8k assorted sized gas checks. 5 pounds of powder. Lots of bullet lube. It was a good haul.

Sounds like Christmas has come early!

The last of the 110gr. frangibles are gone, so it looks like I'll have to switch over to the 110gr. FMJ RN bullets for my eco-loads (.308 Winchester).

Attachments

• IMG_0495.JPG
    IMG_0495.JPG
    513.6 KB · Views: 7
Sounds like Christmas has come early!
Basically. My friend got a huge haul out of this guy between last week and this week. He did really well. He’s newer in the reloading life so he found tons of stuff he didn’t have yet.
Lots of the dies and such I already had so there wasn’t too much for me to buy.
It was a good deal though.

Sorted out a batch of stuff I bought from someone retiring from reloading.
Lots of 44 special 45 Colt and 45/70 brass. 8k assorted sized gas checks. 5 pounds of powder. Lots of bullet lube. It was a good haul.

Nice, I'd like to come across a haul like that. I did buy some stuff from here a bit ago, and found quite a bit more brass calibers than he advertised.

Well, my wife took out her 380 EZ, so it looks like I have to load up some more 95 grainers in the empties.

I'm unhappy enough that I have to reload 9x19. Fortunately, I have a case of 380, and at the rate my wife shoots, that may last a year or more. But now that you mention it, I guess I will need to save that brass and get a 380 die set. God only knows how much 380 is going to cost when the dust settles and there is any to buy.

Back
Top Bottom