What did you do in the reloading room recently?

Just put 5,300 small pistol primers away. Scored these locally today. Running out of room to store primers....
It’s tempting to sell some of them especially with the lack of matches lately. I haven’t even finished off the 5k rounds of 9mm I loaded over the winter....
8ED802FF-DD48-4E10-8027-E4D985FF0836.jpeg

I know others are hurting to get small pistol primers at the moment. Like hens teeth as of late.

Just put 5,300 small pistol primers away. Scored these locally today. Running out of room to store primers....
It’s tempting to sell some of them especially with the lack of matches lately. I haven’t even finished off the 5k rounds of 9mm I loaded over the winter....
View attachment 373869

I know others are hurting to get small pistol primers at the moment. Like hens teeth as of late.

Don't forget to stop by the fire station and update your "excessive, bordering on hoarder, primer permit storage thingy" ;-)

What’s the benefit of graphite on lead shot?
keeps oxidizing to a minimum , some claim the lube qualities of graphite help it pass through the loader.
Next time im at the lead pit i will show you what graphite coated shot vs non looks like after a bit of time in storage.

keeps oxidizing to a minimum , some claim the lube qualities of graphite help it pass through the loader.
Next time im at the lead pit i will show you what graphite coated shot vs non looks like after a bit of time in storage.
Ok, sounds like you have knowledge in this space...should I have any concerns using factory turkey loads that are 20 years old? I don’t want to blow myself up to save $16. I have a bunch in storage and was thinking about trying turkey hunting again in the fall after a long hiatus. Thanks.

Ok, sounds like you have knowledge in this space...should I have any concerns using factory turkey loads that are 20 years old? I don’t want to blow myself up to save $16. I have a bunch in storage and was thinking about trying turkey hunting again in the fall after a long hiatus. Thanks.
If you do shoot it and you have a squib or off sounding report just be sure your barrel is clear of any obstruction. Also if you get hangfire/misfire wait a bit before opening your action.
For the most part depends on storage , Shotshells are not as well sealed as brass cased ammo.
That said I have shot shells left over from my Dad that still go bang. Figure at min 40 years old.
If there is no corrosion on the metal and the plastic is not brittle then they "should" be ok.
Although fresh ammo for hunting is a good thing.

The past 3 evenings I loaded 3k rounds of 38 supercomp. That includes 500 in new brass that will be set aside for the USPSA area championship. I used nearly 4.5 lbs of powder.
Nice!
I was waitlisted for the Area 7 championship but just got approved last week. Let’s hope the Rona doesn’t get it canceled...

Stupid????? question. My boy was at Kittery this am and got me a universal primer popper die. Got the 2 buckets to do. Am I better off doing my deprimer and size die.?? Don't plan on loading them for a bit. Thanks... Stash

Picked up a chronograph about two weeks ago and finally had a chance to get to the range.... shortly before it started to rain sideways.

I was able to shoot a string of rounds out of the Canik TP9SFL, using the 9mm load I've been shooting for almost a year now. It was a great feeling confirming that I was meeting PF, especially before my first major match (Area 7) this year. It's right where I want to be, and an accurate enough load as well for me when I do my part.

I'm VERY impressed by the standard deviation, of course it's a relatively small sample.
Screenshot_20200722-194634_Chronograph.jpg

Stupid????? question. My boy was at Kittery this am and got me a universal primer popper die. Got the 2 buckets to do. Am I better off doing my deprimer and size die.?? Don't plan on loading them for a bit. Thanks... Stash

Imo it would depend on what type of brass, is it clean? and what type of press I was using.

Thanks, Mr Mudflap and all.Once fired and tumbled. Choice of 3 Lee single. Lee roto, and the big geen monster. The big green is a whole lot easier on the arm.Just wish the handle was larger. Got poly boxes for around 300. Heck of a problem to have :) Stash

Got to the range last night. I loaded up 50 rounds of 357 to try to figure out this problem with squibs and I think I've narrowed it down to the powder. The batch I made before heading to the club was with once fired Remington brass and a new box of Winchester primers. I weighed each charge of 2400 individually on the scale to rule out powder drop issues. Upped the charge to 16.1 grains to make sure Im not dealing with the load just being under charged.

Results were zero squibs but.......every shot had a different report and recoil. Some were nice snappy and 357ish like I'm used to with 2400 and a 125 grain projo. Some were VERY underpowered feeling and quiet. It's gotta be that batch of powder because I went with a different brand of brass......once fired ......new batch of primers.......weighed each charge seperate.......the crimps were all even......bullets didn't spin in the case and pushing them on the table they didn't push in at all.

It's gotta be that batch of powder.

Picked up a chronograph about two weeks ago and finally had a chance to get to the range.... shortly before it started to rain sideways.

I was able to shoot a string of rounds out of the Canik TP9SFL, using the 9mm load I've been shooting for almost a year now. It was a great feeling confirming that I was meeting PF, especially before my first major match (Area 7) this year. It's right where I want to be, and an accurate enough load as well for me when I do my part.

I'm VERY impressed by the standard deviation, of course it's a relatively small sample.
View attachment 374734

What chronograph are you using?

Got to the range last night. I loaded up 50 rounds of 357 to try to figure out this problem with squibs and I think I've narrowed it down to the powder. The batch I made before heading to the club was with once fired Remington brass and a new box of Winchester primers. I weighed each charge of 2400 individually on the scale to rule out powder drop issues. Upped the charge to 16.1 grains to make sure Im not dealing with the load just being under charged.

Results were zero squibs but.......every shot had a different report and recoil. Some were nice snappy and 357ish like I'm used to with 2400 and a 125 grain projo. Some were VERY underpowered feeling and quiet. It's gotta be that batch of powder because I went with a different brand of brass......once fired ......new batch of primers.......weighed each charge seperate.......the crimps were all even......bullets didn't spin in the case and pushing them on the table they didn't push in at all.

Pics of your crimp please.

Lots of time on my hands now. So I bought a four ball 12 guage # 4 buckshot mold. I have a ton of wheel weights and am all set to cast. My only question is should I water drop or just drop into a towel for best results?
Harder is better for for buckshot. Less deformation.
So water drop

Do you have any heavier bullets?

Also, you keep referencing bullets not spinning and a good crimp - even without crimping the bullet should be securely held by neck tension. The crimp is a little extra to help and that's it.

Do you have any heavier bullets?

Also, you keep referencing bullets not spinning and a good crimp - even without crimping the bullet should be securely held by neck tension. The crimp is a little extra to help and that's it.
I know. It is possible to over crimp which can actually remove the neck tension. I did that once when I was new to reloading. That's why I checked by testing if they spun or pushed in. I was trying to rule that out.

Back
Top Bottom