• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What did you do in the reloading room recently?

It is very abrasive, and if you leave it running for 24 hours it can over do the whole polish thing.
I left my tumbler going out side for 4 days while on vacation came back to it still running and super clean brass. Im still loading that brass. ?
I think the wall nut would loose any dangerous abrasive quality long before it ruins brass, then maybe the brass on brass for a month or so might wear on the cases?

Is this a crimp? Going through some range brass I have and came across these.

Yep - there's two crimp types I've seen. The ring like you have there, and the point crimps. Pic below, (on 5.56, but you'll get the idea)

crimp-types-jpg.10841

Probably made when Federal's parent company was running Lake City Arsenal. They're allowed to use excess production capacity to make commercial ammo, so it was often crimped like the .mil contract stuff. I believe Olin/Winchester has the operations contract now.

Sometimes it is hard to distinguish the crimped primer pocket visually, but you will find out which cases are crimped when you go to prime them. If you meet undue resistance, take note of the head stamp and cull these from your mix for further treatment.

FWIW, there is a fella on rifol.org that is selling Large Pistol primers (Tula and S&B, I believe) for $20 per 1000. The SP are gone. He is located in Hope Valley (Exit 3 I-95).

Question for the brain trust. I've been reloading for about 8 years and I've only used CCI primers. Is there anything I need to consider if I switch to Winchester primers? Its all I can get my hands on at the moment. Not sure if it matters but they would be small pistol for 9mm. Thanks for your input!

Question for the brain trust. I've been reloading for about 8 years and I've only used CCI primers. Is there anything I need to consider if I switch to Winchester primers? Its all I can get my hands on at the moment. Not sure if it matters but they would be small pistol for 9mm. Thanks for your input!
I've been shooting CCI, Federal, Winchester, S&B and Wolf primers, my guns know no difference.

So I went to Glenn's Ammo and Reloading in N. Reading today. Haven't been there is a while, but it was great to see that he hasn't increased his prices since the last time I was there - unlike the gouging I'm seeing in the classifieds here.

He didn't have any primers but is getting some Winchester later next week, but he did have plenty of the powder I needed (Bullseye).

Unless you are loading up near max, you should be able to swap out brands with very little change in performance.

Cleaning and sorting sucks. My lil tumbler been at it since last night running 9mm and got nice lil chunk done. CF486DD4-D71D-4010-B0A6-D6B5C26D8A74.jpeg
I think for the next run i might break out this bad boy... 7B45FFD2-6591-4DE8-90CF-F50D17AD74BA.jpeg
I also received my new Magwell for my PM-9 so slapped that baby on and it’s perfection. Waiting for a set of custom Lok grips for her too. 5DC8AF2D-310F-48B1-AAA2-EB4D2C00D0C3.jpeg D8265DDC-54BF-4B5A-8414-37A062C6C319.jpeg ED9B8405-9778-4F7D-A09A-9EC382E73A9D.jpeg

Attachments

• 4D3F60E7-A642-4332-AF08-93BE5F6759BD.jpeg
    4D3F60E7-A642-4332-AF08-93BE5F6759BD.jpeg
    117 KB · Views: 1
Cleaning and sorting sucks. My lil tumbler been at it since last night running 9mm and got nice lil chunk done. View attachment 373686
I think for the next run i might break out this bad boy...View attachment 373687
I also received my new Magwell for my PM-9 so slapped that baby on and it’s perfection. Waiting for a set of custom Lok grips for her too. View attachment 373694View attachment 373696View attachment 373697
I could use a small mixer to tumble and graphite some lead shot.

I get occasional light strikes (in double action) with CCI primers in my Dan Wesson 357 revolver. Winchester’s seem to be 100% since they’re not as hard. I do have a new firing pin inbound for Monday from DW to see if that will help.

that mixer is a harbor freight special my brother in law bought about month ago for some small jobs. I borrowed it to pour some footings for a deck worked well. Think it was cpl hundred bucks pretty cheap reallY and all metal. I don’t know how long it’ll last but it’ll definately outrun a FART wet tumbler for few more bucks lol.

that mixer is a harbor freight special my brother in law bought about month ago for some small jobs. I borrowed it to pour some footings for a deck worked well. Think it was cpl hundred bucks pretty cheap reallY and all metal. I don’t know how long it’ll last but it’ll definately outrun a FART wet tumbler for few more bucks lol.
not goingto buy one to tumble shot, I will put it in the 5 gallon bucket and let it roll around in the truck bed.

Have access to a treadmill?
A 2x4 across the belt to keep it from rolling too far forward and then raise the rear of the belt until it just touches the 2x4.
Being enclosed would keep the dust down to a minimum

I tumbled a decent amount of brass in a big cheesepuff container that way.

Have access to a treadmill?
A 2x4 across the belt to keep it from rolling too far forward and then raise the rear of the belt until it just touches the 2x4.
Being enclosed would keep the dust down to a minimum

I tumbled a decent amount of brass in a big cheesepuff container that way.
funny when I did have a tredmill I used it as a tumbler..... until I bought a lyman tumbler. The truck method works well also. Especially for graphite on the lead shot.

Back
Top Bottom