What did you do in the reloading room recently?

Took a week off social media
Cleaned about 10-15 lbs of brass
Mixed up some 50/50 roof flashing and clip on wheel weights

And finished up my PID controller - gutted an old ATX power supply and used mostly stuff from off my shelves.
The cheap PID controller only does Celsius but holds the temp to +/- 2C - still have some tuning to do to get rid of some overshoot when starting cold.
IMG_20200705_122744477.jpgIMG_20200705_122753296.jpgIMG_20200627_165410530.jpg

Took a week off social media
Cleaned about 10-15 lbs of brass
Mixed up some 50/50 roof flashing and clip on wheel weights

And finished up my PID controller - gutted an old ATX power supply and used mostly stuff from off my shelves.
The cheap PID controller only does Celsius but holds the temp to +/- 2C - still have some tuning to do to get rid of some overshoot when starting cold.
View attachment 370680View attachment 370681View attachment 370682
Nice work!

I loaded up my ammo for next weeks CMP match
Vintage match will be the Swiss K31 rifle with 155 grain Nosler Custom Comps and 40.5 grains H4895
CMP match will be HXP 69 brass 168 grain Nosler Custom Comps and 46 grains H4895

I usually run light bullets with light loads but figured what the hell been a while since I loaded up some closer to normal rounds

Worked on a new reloading bench, it is solid. I removed the wheels. I like not seeing reloading stuff all over the place, everything needs to be neat.

I'm either going to mount the single stage presses on the left or I will get another cabinet. I dont know yet.

I found this one at HD, it was the last one, asked the manager to go from $210 to $140 because it has a couple of scratches.

I lost my 5/16 wrench when tightening the last bolt. Flew back and I dont feel like removing the last drawer. I will get it when I am bored some day.

Put the bolts from the bottom up because it was too close to the drawer. Although it could close, I didnt want to risk something getting caught on them.

Next is a new handle for the 750.

20200705_134307.jpg

Worked on a new reloading bench, it is solid. I removed the wheels. I like not seeing reloading stuff all over the place, everything needs to be neat.

I'm either going to mount the single stage presses on the left or I will get another cabinet. I dont know yet.

I found this one at HD, it was the last one, asked the manager to go from $210 to $140 because it has a couple of scratches.

I lost my 5/16 wrench when tightening the last bolt. Flew back and I dont feel like removing the last drawer. I will get it when I am bored some day.

Put the bolts from the bottom up because it was too close to the drawer. Although it could close, I didnt want to risk something getting caught on them.

View attachment 370694
Nice!
Screw the whole damn thing to the wall.

I did that with my last bench. Straight through the frame to the studs. It’s awesome.

You’re 750 is making me jealous.

Nice!
Screw the whole damn thing to the wall.

I did that with my last bench. Straight through the frame to the studs. It’s awesome.

You’re 750 is making me jealous.
That is what I will do. I tested it resizing some casings and it doesnt move. But once I decide the final location for everything and if I will add another cabinet on the side, I will bolt it down. It will be a good time to rescue my wrench as well.

View attachment 370694
I have had zero luck getting HD or Lowes to discount damaged stuff lately. I wanted a solid door last week that had a split in it. I asked for a discount they said no. Same thing last year found the pre drilled shelving boards where damaged on the sides. They only had 4 on the shelf. I asked for a deep discount and they said no? I notice even the cheap lumber bin is hardly around these days.

I have had zero luck getting HD or Lowes to discount damaged stuff lately. I wanted a solid door last week that had a split in it. I asked for a discount they said no. Same thing last year found the pre drilled shelving boards where damaged on the sides. They only had 4 on the shelf. I asked for a deep discount and they said no? I notice even the cheap lumber bin is hardly around these days.
I got lucky, because HD usually never sells their display units. I tried to buy one last month and couldnt.

This time they seemed overwhelmed. I stopped by HD after leaving the range. They are selling everything. They have a bunch of tool cabinets on the floor.

The manager didnt even give me trouble, the employee called her, she looked at it and said "fine, we can do that".

Ok so more problems.

I loaded up 50 each 125 grain jsp with 14.1 grains 2400 powder.....weighed each charge individually so I know they are good. Stuck a bullet in the barrel of the Henry today. Plenty of powder......it's all in the barrel behind the bullet. That's 3 times now with this 2400 powder. I was using 2400 powder with no problems for months and now I'm having issues with the powder not burning at all.

Is 2400 temp sensitive or humidity sensitive? I load them in a cool basement like 65 degrees. When I go to the club to shoot some of the ammo has condensation on it from going from 65 to 80 plus degrees. Could that be the problem?

Ok so more problems.

I loaded up 50 each 125 grain jsp with 14.1 grains 2400 powder.....weighed each charge individually so I know they are good. Stuck a bullet in the barrel of the Henry today. Plenty of powder......it's all in the barrel behind the bullet. That's 3 times now with this 2400 powder. I was using 2400 powder with no problems for months and now I'm having issues with the powder not burning at all.

Is 2400 temp sensitive or humidity sensitive? I load them in a cool basement like 65 degrees. When I go to the club to shoot some of the ammo has condensation on it from going from 65 to 80 plus degrees. Could that be the problem?
I have shot a ton of 2400 with no issues. Cold basement. Hot car. Hot house. Freezing temps outside.

Could it be contaminated? Did you check out the brass? If it had a crack or was some ancient brass that had no neck tension left maybe just maybe that would result in a loose bullet. No pressure to burn.

I have shot a ton of 2400 with no issues. Cold basement. Hot car. Hot house. Freezing temps outside.

Could it be contaminated? Did you check out the brass? If it had a crack or was some ancient brass that had no neck tension left maybe just maybe that would result in a loose bullet. No pressure to burn.
Brass is near new. All the same headstamp and reloaded only a couple of times. This all started when I got a new bottle of 2400.....and also when I switched to my turret press.

If I am crimping lighter than usual will that cause this? I have a slight crimp in these but not as tight as other batches I've made.

Brass is near new. All the same headstamp and reloaded only a couple of times. This all started when I got a new bottle of 2400.....and also when I switched to my turret press.

If I am crimping lighter than usual will that cause this? I have a slight crimp in these but not as tight as other batches I've made.

I wouldn’t think that a light crimp would be the issue. Because you still have neck tension on the bullet which should be good enough for 2400. it might not burn completely but it sure as heck shouldn’t stick in the barrel. Next time it happens make sure you save the brass.
How do you clean your brass?

I wouldn’t think that a light crimp would be the issue. Because you still have neck tension on the bullet which should be good enough for 2400. it might not burn completely but it sure as heck shouldn’t stick in the barrel. Next time it happens make sure you save the brass.
How do you clean your brass?
Tumble in corn media for 5-6 hours. It's clean as hell when I reload it.

I don't clean it after tumbling. Never had a problem like this before.....and all the primers seat easy. I don't know. Ill check the next batch after I tumble.

If you keep the primer in while tumbling, then it shouldn't be a plugging issue since the decapping pin would pop out any media when it deprimes the case.

Like Michael said, the crimp should be good enough, but did you try to see if the bullet moves when pressing against your bench after crimping? If it takes any effort at all then the crimp is adequate.

getting bullets not seating well in about 1 to 3 of 100.. they seem to slip back into the case after setting and crimping..

any ideas what to check/adjust?

What caliber? What press? What dies?
If its a standard pistol caliber, your problem is probably related to the resizing die. Make sure it didn't work loose, make sure it is touching the shellplate

Are the "loose" ones all the same headstamp? What caliber are you loading?
What caliber? What press? What dies?
If its a standard pistol caliber, your problem is probably related to the resizing die. Make sure it didn't work loose, make sure it is touching the shellplate

9mm. Hornady dies. Single stage Hornady LNL press. Already deprimed and resized a crapload of shells.. so now I'm running thru the expander, hand priming, then dropping powder and seating the bullet 50 or so at a time..

not sure of the brass as I'm not sorting it by mfg.

If you keep the primer in while tumbling, then it shouldn't be a plugging issue since the decapping pin would pop out any media when it deprimes the case.

Like Michael said, the crimp should be good enough, but did you try to see if the bullet moves when pressing against your bench after crimping? If it takes any effort at all then the crimp is adequate.
I deprimed after I tumble.

^I meant to add this as well. I've shot a lot of .357mag through my Henry with 2400. Never had an issue. I never tried a lighter bullet than 158 gr. though.
@whacko
Just checking to make sure that you’re not wet tumbling and having moisture issues.
I second JEK and would check for loose bullets after loading.

Sometimes there is very thin brass depending on brand and sizing down doesn’t give it nearly enough neck tension. I’ve had this issue with 30/30 and you could tell because the expander had zero resistance when expanding. These bullets could be pushed back into the case unless you had a serious crimp. I segregated the brass and loaded two batches to see which one shoots better. Doubt it’s the loose ones.

@whacko
Just checking to make sure that you’re not wet tumbling and having moisture issues.
I second JEK and would check for loose bullets after loading.

Sometimes there is very thin brass depending on brand and sizing down doesn’t give it nearly enough neck tension. I’ve had this issue with 30/30 and you could tell because the expander had zero resistance when expanding. These bullets could be pushed back into the case unless you had a serious crimp. I segregated the brass and loaded two batches to see which one shoots better. Doubt it’s the loose ones.
I don't wet tumble I use corn media.

I'm really thinking this may be a moisture issue though. I store my ammo at 65 degrees in the basement. When I get to the range and take the ammo out of my bag it's wet on the outside with condensation. Anyone ever have this condition and have a problem with powder not detonating?

Back
Top Bottom