• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What did you do in the reloading room recently?

Putting this here because I didn't feel like starting a thread just for this.

I stopped by Cabelas, they have a few primers.

View attachment 363825
Nice. Prices aren’t horrible given the primer shortage I guess. Did hey have limits on the small pistol primers? I heard Shooters Outpost is limiting to 2k per person. Glad I got the 24k Fiocchi primers when I did.

Crazy what Winchester primers are going for now. I bought 20k SPP in November 2018 for $25 per 1k SHIPPED. Granted they were on sale and I had a coupon code. Paying $10-$11 more per 1k now is a tough pill to swallow. But I’m set on primers for years to come.

Putting this here because I didn't feel like starting a thread just for this.

I stopped by Cabelas, they have a few primers.

View attachment 363825
How was their powder stock?
I may stop by after the Worcester IDPA match on Saturday for something to do. Don’t really need anything but can’t hurt to browse.

Nice. Prices aren’t horrible given the primer shortage I guess. Did hey have limits on the small pistol primers? I heard Shooters Outpost is limiting to 2k per person. Glad I got the 24k Fiocchi primers when I did.

Crazy what Winchester primers are going for now. I bought 20k SPP in November 2018 for $25 per 1k SHIPPED. Granted they were on sale and I had a coupon code. Paying $10-$11 more per 1k now is a tough pill to swallow. But I’m set on primers for years to come.
No limit. I grabbed 3 boxes.

The old sneaky Berdan primer, have never even seen a DAG headstamp. I usually inspect each headstamp but got carried away, I became complacent. Hoping I can make it out tomorrow morning to Shooting Supply for a 308 die set and some large rifle primers. Hoping he has some primers
View attachment 362599
Is there a way to tell its a Berdan primer by the pic? And those are my initials!!!😁

Finally got the chance to shoot my 9mm reloads. All used once fired Blazer Brass cases, Federal 100 small pistol primers and 124 grain RMR FMJ RN bullets.

I made five rounds each using two different powders, three different powder weights each, for a total of 30 rounds. I fired three rounds of each over the chronograph and the other two at a target.

Alliant BE - 86
5.2 gr 1.12 COL - 1078, 1069, 1076.
5.4 gr 1.12 COL - 1122, 1123, 1125
5.6 gr 1.12 COL - 1138, 1157, 1142

Hodgdon HS - 6
6.4 gr 1.10 COL - 1114, 1122, 1128
6.5 gr 1.10 COL - 1144, 1148, 1148
6.8 gr 1.10 COL - 1188, 1182, 1179

Took the lee 356 6 cavity mold out for a run last night and it worked like a champ. Emptied the pot in no time.
Those 6 cavities make a lot of bullets really fast.
Now you need a second lead pot. I generally keep one ready to go. When I empty the first pot I can use the second pot while the ingots added to the first pot melt and come up to temp.
It’s awesome for marathon sessions.

Or a pot for me and one for the kid...

View attachment 364643View attachment 364644
Test 38 rounds... used clays and it really didn’t meter well through the Dillon. But those were the first he poured. He did really well.
Nice! Passing on the sickness!
Looks like he did a good job.

I really like clays for 38. It’s nice and bulky so the light charges are easier to see than bullseye or such.
Super clean too.

It did seem to meter well out of a Dillon 550. And I notice a degree of variance if the FPS over the chrono. I loaded up 2.5-2.9 and the tests all remained 6-700 range. I have better luck with the ball powder verses the flakes. I always, always check the case for a load. I might try a few over some 231. The other bullets were some 323’s for the 8mm. Still trying to figure out what went wrong with my first rounds of red coating. I’m melting down hundreds and recasting. But I’ve been doing the smash test and when I turn them into lead pennies I can see some flaking. The greens I’ve smashed and the coating held nicely. Only thing that really changed was the initial measure for the acetone... went from plastic to glass. And instead of an empty bottle I used a travel bottle from Walmart.

It did seem to meter well out of a Dillon 550. And I notice a degree of variance if the FPS over the chrono. I loaded up 2.5-2.9 and the tests all remained 6-700 range. I have better luck with the ball powder verses the flakes. I always, always check the case for a load. I might try a few over some 231. The other bullets were some 323’s for the 8mm. Still trying to figure out what went wrong with my first rounds of red coating. I’m melting down hundreds and recasting. But I’ve been doing the smash test and when I turn them into lead pennies I can see some flaking. The greens I’ve smashed and the coating held nicely. Only thing that really changed was the initial measure for the acetone... went from plastic to glass. And instead of an empty bottle I used a travel bottle from Walmart.
Depending on the type of plastic the acetone can melt it. Maybe that was the contaminant.

For the reloaders advice needed
Gun: mega maten 6.5 creedmoor, 20" rifle length gas tube, with a faxon 6.5/308 BCG.

Extractor sheered off, and i am running factory S&B 140gr fmjbt and Hornady american gunner. @AllaSnackbah or for those with AR10 6.5 creed guns does this happen to you too?

Should i try and remedy this with an adjustable gas block, a JP enterprise high pressure bolt, send it to someone who can check headspacing? Or something else

20200612_105624.jpg JPEG_20200612_135454.jpg

i've been locked down for months and only yesterday did i walk in there, contemplate doing some cleaning, and actually moved a box or two. didn't move them too far but i can see some of the top of the bench. don't see light at the end of the tunnel quite yet although it was a start.

Gun: mega maten 6.5 creedmoor, 20" rifle length gas tube, with a faxon 6.5/308 BCG.

Extractor sheered off, and i am running factory S&B 140gr fmjbt and Hornady american gunner. @AllaSnackbah or for those with AR10 6.5 creed guns does this happen to you too?

Should i try and remedy this with an adjustable gas block, a JP enterprise high pressure bolt, send it to someone who can check headspacing? Or something else

View attachment 364679View attachment 364680

Both.
Cases don't look all that great.
That think must've kicked like a mule , looking at those heads.
You'll want to bleed some of that off

View attachment 364679View attachment 364680
Need better pics of the extractor. I’m seeing discoloration there like there could have been a crack there for a while.
I would send pics to the manufacturer of the bolt. See if they can send you a new extractor.

sent primary arms a refund RMA for the Faxon BCG i bought on may 5th. Ordered a specific Toolcraft 6.5 creedmoor reduced firing pin diamter BCG. i ended up not going with JP just because of the cost. way too expensive.

next up debating on an adjustable gas block

Back
Top Bottom