What did you do in the reloading room recently?

yeh if you find a good system for separating pins from rifle cases let me know. from all i have read. it just takes your hands. turn it upside down and give it a shake or two and all the pins fall out cleanly.

My pins are magnetic - I used a magnet to get the pins back into the drum.
I have been ultrasonic cleaning - cases are clean but still tarnished.
Not looking for beautiful cases but they do look really good after tumbling.

Will probably grab a rotary separator if tumbling without pins doesn't work out well.

So true! The heavy steel hand cannons do not collect dust by any means [laugh]
I’m actually starting to erode the forcing cone on my DW 357 8" barrel which is strange since I just got it last summer. But it has seen thousands of 158 gr rounds with 2400 powder.
View attachment 359137
My 44 mag barrels have 0 erosion with H110 which is supposed to be much more abrasive than 2400?...
Once DW reopens I’m going to email them and see what they think. Might just spend the $100-$120 for a new barrel as a spare. Still shoots like a laser beam though.

Not even close to @whacko’s Ruger SP01 however. Time will tell if it gets that bad. [laugh]
Heard back from Bob (revolversmith at DW). Interesting...
BF089F80-0ACC-4F7F-990E-46D5CA73206C.jpeg

Rcvd delivery confirmation that my order of 30 cal gas checks, new Lee C309-170-F mold and sizer were delivered at 2:13 pm today by USPS. Got home and ... nothing! Tried calling local Post Office, closed. Attempted to talk to global help, 45-1.45 min wait. Tracking states, "Left at Mailbox". Will try in the morning. I am pissed, so did nothing in the Reloading Room

Rcvd delivery confirmation that my order of 30 cal gas checks, new Lee C309-170-F mold and sizer were delivered at 2:13 pm today by USPS. Got home and ... nothing! Tried calling local Post Office, closed. Attempted to talk to global help, 45-1.45 min wait. Tracking states, "Left at Mailbox". Will try in the morning. I am pissed, so did nothing in the Reloading Room

Seen any ANTIFAgs cruising the neighborhood?

Seen any ANTIFAgs cruising the neighborhood?
Smoking a cigar and drinking a beer. Lefty liberal neighbor just delivered it to my house. She said she was expecting flower seeds and when she opened it, realized that it wasn't hers. She did ask what is it and I explained that they are devices to make freedom seeds. She laughed, I laughed, she stuck around for a beer. Discussed the riots. She isnt so bad.
20200603_185539.jpg

Smoking a cigar and drinking a beer. Lefty liberal neighbor just delivered it to my house. She said she was expecting flower seeds and when she opened it, realized that it wasn't hers. She did ask what is it and I explained that they are devices to make freedom seeds. She laughed, I laughed, she stuck around for a beer. Discussed the riots. She isnt so bad.
View attachment 362174
Seems like all my nieghbors are Dems or Libs.
I was once described as the flag flying gun guy up the street. Have a old hippie liberal lawyer across the way. The only thing we agree on is self protection (she carries and makes no attempt to hide it) she is ok to talk to for about 42 seconds.

i had a delivery go to the wrong address. Was a CR item . He signed for it and was confused why the delivery guy asked to see his idea to confirm he was 21. When He seen the label he ran it over as soon as I pulled in the driveway. "Here take your bazooka or what ever it is" super liberal does not like me.

I was once described as the flag flying gun guy up the street. Have a old hippie liberal lawyer across the way. The only thing we agree on is self protection (she carries and makes no attempt to hide it) she is ok to talk to for about 42 seconds.

i had a delivery go to the wrong address. Was a CR item . He signed for it and was confused why the delivery guy asked to see his idea to confirm he was 21. When He seen the label he ran it over as soon as I pulled in the driveway. "Here take your bazooka or what ever it is" super liberal does not like me.

Yet we all know whose door they'd be banging on for help when they need it.

LOL my neighbors would say they aren't going to bring it over unless I open it in front of them. It's pretty much show and tell whenever one of us gets or builds something new. I'm in the process of giving my reload area a makeover. Next door neighbor put together a pretty nice setup in his garage so now I have to get crackin'.

Anyone looking for 55 gr FMJ bullets? Just noticed the vendor who sells the Zero jacketed pistol bullets, has 55 gr FMJs for 8 cents each delivered (buy at least 1k). The sales rep told me their made by American Pistol Bullet company? No idea how good they are but it looks like that company has been around for a long time. Good price though.

Nice surprise in the mail when I got home. Thanks @mac1911 for the bullets. Can't wait to give them a try. This forum is loaded with kindness and experience that is amazing. Thanks again.
View attachment 362374
no problem, NES's have helped and saved me plenty over the years. Those should be BHN of 13 .
Its good to try a few options then you can make better mold buying choices. I hope to get out and test the 130s soon. Also looking to try those 309-200 in the M1a

Nice BucketOlead
looks like someone cleaned out their bin of the old school steel rim weights that dont fit much of anything these days.

You got it
Have you seen the, what looks like , nylon clip on?
Everythings going the way of adhesive type with all the aluminum/ magnesium rims for light duty stuff.

You got it
Have you seen the, what looks like , nylon clip on?
Everythings going the way of adhesive type with all the aluminum/ magnesium rims for light duty stuff.
and the stick ons are more likely going to be steel.
They also tried pushing this silicone caulking type stuff a few years back. Basically you just squirt out a line X long for Y weight.
i have seen the nylon and strange rubber like stick ons. The nylon are oddly big for their weight.
i dont think I pulled 2oz of lead off the 20 tires this month. The big 1.50 right in the begining i single out is not metal.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1axMm-NT9o8

Added 30 AK mags and 30 AR mags to the shelf along with 2 new Windham Weaponry Melonite 7.62x39 AK barrels.

Waiting for gas port drill bits. Got to have something to do inside when the temps hit upper 80's this summer.

Building a FrankenAK now using a Yugo barrel and Romi front trunnion. TIG welding up the barrel pin notch of the barrel using a 1/4 inch mild steel bolt as filler, then turning it down on a lathe to spec so I can re mill it after setting the mismatched bolt headspace, then milling the trunnion ears so the Yugo rear sight base fits. It is just a tiny bit wider than the Romanian ones.
Rear will be new Romi underfolder stock and trunnion on Nodak receiver.

TIG welding up the barrel pin notch of the barrel using a 1/4 inch mild steel bolt as filler, then turning it down on a lathe to spec so I can re mill it after setting the mismatched bolt headspace,

This sounds like you've done this before. Did you use the bolt as filler because 70S6 filler rod is too hard and doesn't cut the same as the rest of the barrel steel?

My only welding experience is stick on steel and stainless steel, oxy on steel, and of course MIG on steel. No TIG experience. Fair bit of manual mill and lathe experience, but haven't done it regularly for work in a while. And I don't recall ever welding something up then trying to cut it on a lathe. More like weld up and grind.

Last edited:
This sounds like you've done this before. Did you use the bolt as filler because 70S6 filler rod is too hard and doesn't cut the same as the rest of the barrel steel?

My only welding experience is stick on steel and stainless steel, oxy on steel, and of course MIG on steel. No TIG experience. Fair bit of manual mill and lathe experience, but haven't done it regularly for work in a while. And I don't recall every welding something up then trying to cut it on a lathe. More like weld up and grind.

By adding the piece of bolt it precludes the need to add so much filler rod and it lessens the heat time on the area. Most of it will be milled back out as there will likely be only a minor shift forward or backward when head spacing, but you don't want an egg shaped hole so it has to be redone if dimensions change.
The bulk will be ground off first, then turned to proper OD for trunnion.
Some guys have used brazing doing this but I prefer using steel on steel.

I'm also repairing some galling on the barrel surface that shows aft of the barrel pin. A little touch up with some filler rod to bring the surface up then it will be trued up and polished clean during turning.
The galling is very common during demilling( pressing the barrel out of the old trunnion). The barrel surface encounters a very sharp edge in the original barrel pin hole in the trunnion and shears off some surface material.
That sharp edge in the trunnion can be removed with a small diamond burr or small stone in a dremel and that prevents re damaging the barrel when pressing it back in.

Back
Top Bottom