What did you do in the reloading room recently?

Ouch.
There are a few powders out there that'll do this. More prominent on the blued steel frame, flame cutting on the top strap.
Can't remember which ones they were,Trail boss? Lil Gun? H110?
I heard H110 and Lil Gun will do it. Didn’t know 2400 can too. But it might be a barrel QC issue? Not the end of the world to buy a new barrel tube if the accuracy suffers.

I heard H110 and Lil Gun will do it. Didn’t know 2400 can too. But it might be a barrel QC issue? Not the end of the world to buy a new barrel tube if the accuracy suffers.

Might not be a barrel q.c. issue, just a hot and heavy magnum load issue.
I might be having flashbacks of an article I've never read, but there was something similar (flame cutting) going on in leverguns, with "hot" 38 spl and .44 spl, and the rifle being chambered for .357/ .44 mag. Accelerated chamber erosion due to that small amount of freebore in the chamber.
Same thing with revolver silhouette shooters.

I changed the broken decapping pin in a 30-06 die.

What type/brand die?

I had a broken Dillon one in .308/30.06 and use it with the carbide ring to neck size only. I ground off the pointy remnant from the pin and smoothed it out. It's the first and only one I've broken in 20 years. I tossed it in my accessories drawer and it came in handy. [smile]

What type/brand die?

I had a broken Dillon one in .308/30.06 and use it with the carbide ring to neck size only. I ground off the pointy remnant from the pin and smoothed it out. It's the first and only one I've broken in 20 years. I tossed it in my accessories drawer and it came in handy. [smile]

It was a Lee Ultimate Die set. The pin was free I just never ordered it. Since I have a lot of free time I did it. I could still use it. I have a universal decapping die and the neck die has a decapper in it too.

Breakin shit again?...

I ran it into a berdan primed piece of brass about 10 years ago and never got off my ass to replace it and forgot all about it. I have plenty of M1 rounds so I didn't need to make any
I decided to make some good rounds for my Winchester Model 70 and the pin was broken. Now it's not

You people that find all this stuff that you didn't remember having, such as ammo, AR15 lowers, actual guns etc, do you all live at the end of a rainbow or something ? 🤣

Lol. No, but like any hoarder once you have a certain amount keeping track is literally impossible unless you keep a log book and audit yourself at least once a year.

I wasn't being silly either. I legit forgot I had those two segments of ammo in that location. Maybe I should have a log book... lol.

So I was heading off to the range so I decided to loaded up a couple of 200gr 45 SWC’s that I casted to make sure they would cycle through my 1911. Loaded them over 5.0 and 5.4 grains of bullseye just to test... they worked perfect and I’m amazed how accurate my casts have been.

3CF66BC5-8F45-4405-970F-DC0768CF9CB9.jpeg
That was about at about 20 yards. It was a shared target.

You people that find all this stuff that you didn't remember having, such as ammo, AR15 lowers, actual guns etc, do you all live at the end of a rainbow or something ? 🤣
Yes, but people dont realize that at the wnd of the rainbow there is random piles of clutter along with OpJ and what have you.
i have a small back room in my basement thats become the catch all. I grew tired of the kids cloths piled up in bags (wife had some sort of plan for them some time ago) i started moving the bags and found 85lbs of lead shot I was looking for along with some more scrap lead. I also moved the Old TV console in the basement and found a small tool box locked up.
I could not tell you the last time I even thought of that box. If a box is locked in my house its guns or ammo.
Yup, just as I left it. S&W 41 and several hundred rounds of assorted Match 22lr.

So I was heading off to the range so I decided to loaded up a couple of 200gr 45 SWC’s that I casted to make sure they would cycle through my 1911. Loaded them over 5.0 and 5.4 grains of bullseye just to test... they worked perfect and I’m amazed how accurate my casts have been.

View attachment 359707
That was about at about 20 yards. It was a shared target.
Cast and 45 and a 1911 together is a thing of beauty.

Doesn't seem like many people reload/shoot 8mm anymore. I don't.
Contact me, if you still seek .323" diameter bullets; I have a fairly decent supply of assorted bullets remaining.
I shoot 8mm but not often. I've hunted with a K98 Mauser a few years and keep a few boxes of lead tip hunting ammo but most of my 8mm is FMJ linked up for the 1919. I've got cases of spam cans of it and consider it last use stuff if TSHTF when the .308 and 30.06 are expended. It's all corrosive, berdan primed and steel cased so reloading it is not in my plans.

I shoot 8mm but not often. I've hunted with a K98 Mauser a few years and keep a few boxes of lead tip hunting ammo but most of my 8mm is FMJ linked up for the 1919. I've got cases of spam cans of it and consider it last use stuff if TSHTF when the .308 and 30.06 are expended. It's all corrosive, berdan primed and steel cased so reloading it is not in my plans.

Yes, I hear you. I have a few milk crates of my reloads remaining. No longer have the Hakim, so I guess I'll need to find someone with a Mauser or FN and have an ammo dump at the farm.
When the KV7,62N primers were available, most of the Turkish, Yugo and other cases could be reloaded, if you really wanted to bother. Even the Romanian steel-cased worked well as reloads. Boxer-primed brass is readily available/formed, so why mess with the added difficulties.

Yes, I hear you. I have a few milk crates of my reloads remaining. No longer have the Hakim, so I guess I'll need to find someone with a Mauser or FN and have an ammo dump at the farm.
When the KV7,62N primers were available, most of the Turkish, Yugo and other cases could be reloaded, if you really wanted to bother. Even the Romanian steel-cased worked well as reloads. Boxer-primed brass is readily available/formed, so why mess with the added difficulties.
Theres still a good amount of surplus out there.
Under .50 per round. Theres some 60s yugo out there on belts for like 50 cents also.
I reload for my K98 but mostly cast loads. Because the 8mm bullet is tough to find cheap.
Currently tberes some factory blems at around .18 cents each with the memorial day sale.
I will pick up new production PPU when its on sale.
i have some 90s yugo "sniper" ammo. I just dont shoot it .

Back
Top Bottom