What did you do in the reloading room recently?

Starting up on 9mm again. I have enough primers to crank out another 4,000 rounds. I will have a nice stock to get me through the summer at that point. Or a nice stock to hold off the zombie apocalypse. Amazing to think that with all the stuff I have in stock now, I am wondering if I should "waste" ammo at the range. Great lesson to say the least. Doesn't take much at all, even in this wonderful country of ours, for things to go sideways quickly.

Starting up on 9mm again. I have enough primers to crank out another 4,000 rounds. I will have a nice stock to get me through the summer at that point. Or a nice stock to hold off the zombie apocalypse. Amazing to think that with all the stuff I have in stock now, I am wondering if I should "waste" ammo at the range. Great lesson to say the least. Doesn't take much at all, even in this wonderful country of ours, for things to go sideways quickly.

Dry fire at home. Sometimes I'll watch a show and do draw/dry fire based on a specific character. So either holster or low ready and when camera cuts to your selected character that is your "timer beep".

Finished the last 200 cases of .45 acp, switching back to .223 now that the powder arrived.

One thing I noticed when loading the different headstamps of .45 acp is that the Federal brass primer pockets were kind of loose. These have only been fired twice. Not sure how much longer these will be useful, or maybe I'll have to switch to another primer (currently using WLP). Anyone else use this combination and notice the same?

Finished the last 200 cases of .45 acp, switching back to .223 now that the powder arrived.

One thing I noticed when loading the different headstamps of .45 acp is that the Federal brass primer pockets were kind of loose. These have only been fired twice. Not sure how much longer these will be useful, or maybe I'll have to switch to another primer (currently using WLP). Anyone else use this combination and notice the same?

They're always loose. Don't be surprised if you have one or more fall out during loading or in the future.

I don't like federal pistol brass.

Modeled up the Lee 356-102-1R and verified the model against both a Hornady 380 Auto gauge and the barrel from my 380ez.

Interference detection in Fusion gives me the same COAL in the Hornady gauge (modeled chamber is SAAMI minimum spec)
Bullet profile measured with Starrett radius gauges.
Some eye candy just because no thread ever has value without gratuitous image content
380 Auto cutaway.png380 Auto v1.png

TLDR - Lee bullet mold profiles suck. I don't think they look past cherry cost when designing a profile.

Modeled up the Lee 356-102-1R and verified the model against both a Hornady 380 Auto gauge and the barrel from my 380ez.

Interference detection in Fusion gives me the same COAL in the Hornady gauge (modeled chamber is SAAMI minimum spec)
Bullet profile measured with Starrett radius gauges.
Some eye candy just because no thread ever has value without gratuitous image content
View attachment 341731View attachment 341732

TLDR - Lee bullet mold profiles suck. I don't think they look past cherry cost when designing a profile.
Now that’s sexy!!!
I totally agree with this. If you want a big old fat flat nose to kill something with or a wadcutter they make great moulds.
All of their designs take in to account a cherry that is super stout and will probably never chip or break.
That being said, I’m sure it’s how they keep their cost down to offer a pretty damn cool product for the $$

Wet tumbled using the amazon jewelry tumbler from china, some dish soap, and lemishine. Took 20 pieces of 8mm brass and cleaned then deprimed. They look all nice but i did use plenty of paper towels to dry off the outside and insides.

Now just need more brass to tumble

Some plop right in with little effort. Never really had an issue with that, its more the ones that require force to seat like aa usa, aguila, a handful more.

Got bored for a little bit and organized the 223 brass shelf
sroPeV.jpg

damn.. I need to catch up..

question... we have a brass bucket at the range.. worth going thru it to pick out usable brass during the boring times now or not? I can put my kids to work helping LOL
That’s what I do sometimes. Your club may not allow it?

I have some berdan stashed away but haven't seen them for sale anywhere for a very long while.

Seeing as how I'm the closest (distance wise) of any other 'regular' NES'r to you geographically during this crisis, I really think you should share the location of this stash with me so that I can hold off the commies with their own primers should the unfortunate circumstance of your untimely demise become a reality.

I've been reloading (seriously) for 5 years and have never once seen a reloadable Berdan primer.

I’m down to ~1200 Zero 158 gr JHPs so I figured why not order another 1k with all the craziness going on. Can’t beat em for 10 cents each. That Marlin has me burning through 357 magnum.

Looks like they’re getting slammed with orders too as there quoting delays with shipments. Oh well I’m in no rush to get them.

Back
Top Bottom