What did you do in the reloading room recently?

Loaded up all the clean 357 brass I had tonight. Now I switched over to 44 mag to load up the Speer 240 FMJ flatness silhouette bullets I picked up for dirt cheap. They’re longer than a typical JSP/JHP which means they’ll only function in my DW revolver not my Henry. I can live with that. I’ll save the Zero JSPs for the Henry.
9A84022E-AEA5-4412-AEB3-006B3120386A.jpeg

I started tumbling mixed brass again. Setup my two tumblers in garage. Going to show my boys how to media separate and restart tomorrow, then stick them on sorting duty.

Father of the year award goes to...

Hey, pops...for $32 you can get pistol brass case sorter trays from dillon. Depending on how many boys you have, if it's 3 or less, you can give one tray to each of them for next Christmas :D

Ordered a lee case holder and 8x57 mauser gauge and trimmer. In addition, got some ss pins, lemishine, and jewelry tumbler from amazon. Cleaning by hand sucks and my cases are getting a little too long for max length. All should be arriving by april fools day.

And in previous days.. ordered an 8lb imr 4064 from lg outdoors, 1k primers, and 150 more 198gr 8mm projectiles.

This is a costly quarantine for me.. f***...
Yes it is...

Father of the year award goes to...

Hey, pops...for $32 you can get pistol brass case sorter trays from dillon. Depending on how many boys you have, if it's 3 or less, you can give one tray to each of them for next Christmas :D
Tried getting my kids to sort clean brass.....my kids are to smart already.
Yeah dad when I can shoot them I will help sort them from my 6 yr old daughter 6yrs ago. I have tried to get her to shoot the AR now. She laughs and says , “nah I will stick with 22 , You just want me to sort brass”

kids say the damndest things!

that's why when/if I ever have kids, I'm going to run my house like a totalitarian government.

sure kids, you wanna eat? go swap over the casings in the tumbler.

oh, you need books for school? Here's 100 30-06 cases to resize and trim...don't cut them too short now.

what's that, you need new tires? here's the 30-06 cases again (after I've loaded and shot them)...neck them down to 7.7 Jap and cut the excess with a pipe cutter for daddy, ok?

I'm going to get SO much case prep done!

Last edited:
Nice dream! My kids and the X-wife would walk right by the mailbox and never even look if there was anything in it never mind bring it in. I called them out on it a few times and the wife told me to lighten up on them.

That would be punishable by primer pocket swaging under my rule. The kids for being lazy and the wife for making the kids...guilty by association. Here's 1000 cases each of 5.56...now get to work!

Anyone have experience with this press. Rcbs turrett. Manual index. Can get it for about $270. My Lee dies will fit. Trying to move up to a turrett. Can get a Lee auto indexing turrett for $200. Benefit of the Lee is it's cheaper and auto index.....benefit of the rcbs as far as I can see is it's a much more solid unit.

s7_215730_999_03.jpgs7_215730_999_03.jpg

if it's made by RCBS, i'm sure it's over-engineered and built like a brick shithouse.

that being said, and of course I'm biased, but i'd save up a little more and spring for a used dillon. I personally think they're going to be everywhere in a few months once the 750 and 1100 become readily available.

Anyone have experience with this press. Rcbs turrett. Manual index. Can get it for about $270. My Lee dies will fit. Trying to move up to a turrett. Can get a Lee auto indexing turrett for $200. Benefit of the Lee is it's cheaper and auto index.....benefit of the rcbs as far as I can see is it's a much more solid unit.

View attachment 340723View attachment 340723
I dont think the $200 lee will do anything better than that. Once you get into the flow you will pump out ammo almost as fast as a lee pro1000 or lee turret with much better quality and less to go wrong.
When i first learned to reload other than using the lee classic whackOround loader i loaded 38spl on one of these.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qasXtFTuluc

I used a even older press for some rifle reloading.
The old timer i learned a bit from in the begining had a museum of reloading gear in his basement.

I dont think the $200 lee will do anything better than that. Once you get into the flow you will pump out ammo almost as fast as a lee pro1000 or lee turret with much better quality and less to go wrong.
When i first learned to reload other than using the lee classic whackOround loader i loaded 38spl on one of these.

The old timer i learned a bit from in the begining had a museum of reloading gear in his basement.

So given that choice you'd go with the rcbs?

So given that choice you'd go with the rcbs?
RCBS turret vs lee turret or pro 1000 yes. Im lee fan and run a pro1000 but its not much faster than the turret press. i also find it easier to place the bullet for seating on the rcbs turret press style.
I will be setting up a new lyman turret for a friend soon.
At some point[/QUOTE]

As far as getting into the flow on a manual index rcbs turret it looks pretty smooth actually.

This vid shows 9mm being churned out pretty fast

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KfWzk-D2oRM

View attachment 340723View attachment 340723

I think your be equally happy with either that or the 4 hole Lee. I have a 4 hole Lee Turrent that has made tens of thousands of rounds of .223. The main advantage of the Lee is auto indexing (but it can still be used as a single stage).

I have mentioned it before I modified my Lee turret and don't prime on it anyway. Have 4 dies on the turret, expander and powder thru dye ,bullet feeding tube and RCBS bullet feeder, seating die and crimping die, have a reverse indexing rod, and a cartridge kicker on the rod , it's quick and easy, sort of fast depending on my levels of co-ordination. I set 2 turrets up like this for handgun ammo 9MM and .45 ACP. I also have a 3rd 4 hole die that I will use on occasion it has both the 9mm and .45 acp depriming and sizing dies on it I simply remove the indexing rod from the press and convert it into a single stage when I want to use those dies to deprime and size. In the second picture if you expand it some you can see a bullet puller from RCBS in my single stage press too. I can change that out to deprime and size on that press if I want also. And behind that is a bench mounted priming tool . Lots of options in a small space. Lastly in the background is a 4 hole die set up for .38 special with the normal 4 die set-up except it runs clockwise like all the others. I set up these dies that way cause I was never very good with the Lee Safety Primer on the press, the square yellow bin on the front of the press is just hot glued to the base I used it to catch the primers that seemed to always miss the ram and fall on the floor. Lastly the handle is an Ergonomic handle from Inline Fabrication. the Co. that makes the right handed twist rod and the case kicker. I like the height and roller handle better than the original Lee.

Attachments

• IMG_20170724_172137_339.jpg
    IMG_20170724_172137_339.jpg
    140.2 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_0015.jpg
    IMG_0015.jpg
    267 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
I only hand prime rifle ammo. I also single stage resize/deprime on a single stage. My Lee 4 hole has 2 powder drops and 2 bullet seating dies mounted so I can just make ammo once all my brass prep is done, 2 rounds per revolution.

20200308_110933.jpg

I only hand prime rifle ammo. I also single stage resize/deprime on a single stage. My Lee 4 hole has 2 powder drops and 2 bullet seating dies mounted so I can just make ammo once all my brass prep is done, 2 rounds per revolution.

View attachment 340813
What's your theory on resizing single stage and hand priming?

I'm trying to get to the point where I can run a turret and do one round from start to finish on the turret.

Currently running a Lee single stage and run batches......sometimes if I'm in the mood I'll size and prime till I fill 2 coffee cans of 45acp of primed cases then the next time I sit down I'll do the next step.....

I shoot a lot of mixed brass, so for me I just pass everything thru the same process. I tumble, resize/deprime, trim on my Giraud to 2.240 (min length), hand prime then on the press. I like doing it this way because I can do 3 of the 4 first steps while watching TV.

If you're doing everything on the press you really need to pay attention the entire time. Doing it my way when I'm ready to load I can focus just on visually checking how much powder there is when placing the bullet.

Note I do have a Dillon Square for 9mm. So I'm not against progressives.

I called shooters yesterday they had 11-8lb jugs of H1000 I asked for them to put one aside for me and when I picked it up today there was none left besides the one they saved me, it was also over an hour line to check out. Yesterday I Went out in the woods and shot because my range is closed, I did a seating depth test and found it likes 2 thou off the lands with the 212 eldx’s, ES was 23, last night I played with my new chargemaster lite I just got in the mail and went up and down .1 grains to see if I could cut down the ES down a bit. Also loaded up a ladder test with 215 bergers seated .15 off the lands. 66C0D20F-2EBC-4144-AF43-D2B252F3CC88.jpeg89FFE0BC-C145-4CC9-809F-5BE70D7E6013.jpeg49E2FA50-C3F3-4AFD-BD87-09E63F9F2AF9.jpeg

I called shooters yesterday they had 11-8lb jugs of H1000 I asked for them to put one aside for me and when I picked it up today there was none left besides the one they saved me, it was also over an hour line to check out. Yesterday I Went out in the woods and shot because my range is closed, I did a seating depth test and found it likes 2 thou off the lands with the 212 eldx’s, ES was 23, last night I played with my new chargemaster lite I just got in the mail and went up and down .1 grains to see if I could cut down the ES down a bit. Also loaded up a ladder test with 215 bergers seated .15 off the lands. View attachment 340888View attachment 340889View attachment 340890
From that last pic, it looks like your bench is a bit too tall. Or you are a bit too short? I am making the assumption that is you in the pic.

My days of waiting in an hour long line for anything ended forty years ago when I got out of the army.
I called shooters yesterday they had 11-8lb jugs of H1000 I asked for them to put one aside for me and when I picked it up today there was none left besides the one they saved me, it was also over an hour line to check out. Yesterday I Went out in the woods and shot because my range is closed, I did a seating depth test and found it likes 2 thou off the lands with the 212 eldx’s, ES was 23, last night I played with my new chargemaster lite I just got in the mail and went up and down .1 grains to see if I could cut down the ES down a bit. Also loaded up a ladder test with 215 bergers seated .15 off the lands. View attachment 340888View attachment 340889View attachment 340890

enefit of the Lee is it's cheaper and auto index.....benefit of the rcbs as far as I can see is it's a much more solid unit.

Another advantage of the Lee is that if you buy extra 4 hole plates you can set up different caliber dies on their own 4 hole plate. This eliminates the need to unscrew dies, screw in the next caliber's dies and set them. It only takes a few seconds to pop out one caliber and pop in the next one.

I load 9 mm right up to 30-06 on the Lee Classic Turret and I perform every step on it whether pistol or rifle. I do have a single stage, but rarely take it out.

Backstory pertinent info: i have 2 mauser k98s

So i shoot a bunch of 8mm today and i was reloading today, loaded up 10 cases after a few pre prepared rounds i made a long time ago for firings. Pulled out 10 spent cases that could have been from the other mauser. Load them up and go to chamber.. i push the bolt home and then try to lever the bolt knob down and it will not chamber. One case got stuck and we had to use a steel rod to mallet out a live round.. fun.. it worked. Other spent cases will chamber easy after multiple firings But there were a few that would not fully seat. We checked the the brass length was below and we did not see bulged brass or anything. This could have been from the other mauser firing it.

So do i need to start full length sizing all my brass now? What do you recommend? I was thinking the lee pacesetter 3 set, and a breech lock hand press since i am in an apartment

Back
Top Bottom