What did you do in the reloading room recently?

Not worth it to me. I’ve done it before but it easier to just toss it out as I see it.
Absolutely. I have shit tons of 38 and 357 brass.......shit tons! If I have to use a pocket reamer to get the primer to seat no thanks I'm tossing it.

Remington has been my best brand of brass to load 357

Reloaded some more 357. Found out I was reading the rifle load in the Lyman book. So now I loaded 16.2gr. Of H110. I do know that the 14.2 was pretty good in both my SP101 and me Henry all weather. Also while cleaning 45acp. I found 2 different primer sizes. I only see one primer listed for 45acp. But I only have 2 books right now. Any thoughts on that?

Reloaded some more 357. Found out I was reading the rifle load in the Lyman book. So now I loaded 16.2gr. Of H110. I do know that the 14.2 was pretty good in both my SP101 and me Henry all weather. Also while cleaning 45acp. I found 2 different primer sizes. I only see one primer listed for 45acp. But I only have 2 books right now. Any thoughts on that?
Theres 45 acp with small pistol primers

Lets see......Just decapped and wet tumbled 1700 38/357's, used my wet tumbler i built a couple years ago.....
Then i had to play with a new toy i just bought from Henderson Precision. So i sized up 438 WRA60 7.62x51 cases and fired the bad boy up. Trimmed all of em up in two sessions. Less than two hours tops, total time. The best trimmer ive ever used. Now theyre dry tumbling to get the lube off, then its gonna be time to dump in 41.5 gr. of H4895, and top em off with some 168 gr. Sierra HPBT. Getting ready for spring.

741FB1C8-B646-4D8A-9C6D-19EAD07856AB.jpegE172BBD5-3CD4-4353-B28E-CE1A7F06BDF4.jpegA8BD49A6-87EE-483F-B882-3DAC69AEBA5A.jpeg85468E71-DB1C-4E1D-953C-79E0D1A63D16.jpeg4B14012D-17CB-40C3-95D3-46F60A9EB7CF.jpeg

Lets see......Just decapped and wet tumbled 1700 38/357's, used my wet tumbler i built a couple years ago.....
Then i had to play with a new toy i just bought from Henderson Precision. So i sized up 438 WRA60 7.62x51 cases and fired the bad boy up. Trimmed all of em up in two sessions. Less than two hours tops, total time. The best trimmer ive ever used. Now theyre dry tumbling to get the lube off, then its gonna be time to dump in 41.5 gr. of H4895, and top em off with some 168 gr. Sierra HPBT. Getting ready for spring.

View attachment 332294View attachment 332295View attachment 332296View attachment 332297View attachment 332298
Wow thats quite a trimmer. What did that cost if you dont mind saying.

839.00 with an extra .223 cutter head.....yeah, i know its expensive, but its fast, and precies. And doesnt index off the shoulder. It uses tota.l case length.....I like it.
LOL... yikes yeah that`s a bit outside my budget. It does look like a really nice unit though! I`ll have to just stick with my ole cheapy hundred dollar hornady trimmer for now 😉

839.00 with an extra .223 cutter head.....yeah, i know its expensive, but its fast, and precies. And doesnt index off the shoulder. It uses tota.l case length.....I like it.
dang , I think I would have to buy a dillon 650 and thier case trimmer set up with case feeder for that kind of cash. It does look over built and slick to use.
Im still to cheap to by the RCBS power unit for my hand crank trimmer!

The .45acp brass that I've found with small primers is Win NT ( Winchester Non Toxic). It reloads fine, just requires a primer setup change on the press.
Its usually sorted out and done in its own batch here.

It also has a very large flash hole.

A question for all that use progressive presses, how much time do you spend sorting/prepping pistol brass prior to loading not counting cleaning. I get that progressives crank out ammo, but there has to be some up front prep/sorting (not counting cleaning) so the press can run those #s.

I ask because I am considering a progressive. I currenlty load with a turret press and get about 150 rds./hr including sorting/prepping cases.

A question for all that use progressive presses, how much time do you spend sorting/prepping pistol brass prior to loading not counting cleaning. I get that progressives crank out ammo, but there has to be some up front prep/sorting (not counting cleaning) so the press can run those #s.

I ask because I am considering a progressive. I currenlty load with a turret press and get about 150 rds./hr including sorting/prepping cases.
Excellent question!
I visually verify the headstamp before it goes onto the shell plate. Between crimped primer pockets (NATO brass) and other known shitty brass, I have to verify the headstamp.

It doesn't add too much time. I just flip the brass with my fingers to check headstamp then put it on the shell plate.

I don't really do any pre sorting at all. If I'm working with crimped 9mm I will do a visual check as I'm loading. Pickup a piece of brass, check for crimp. Crimp = Tossed in a bucket for later prep.
I have always tried to order 9mm brass that has been pre sorted to get rid of the crimped, or swaged to remove the crimp already.

The only other thing is the occasional S&B tight primer pocket that sneaks in or the occasional 45 with a small primer pocket. I don't bother sorting for these though as I don't run into them often and when I do I can immediately feel that primer doesn't want to seat. You shouldn't be running so fast and hard that you wouldn't catch this or worse set off a primer during an attempted seating.

Edited to add: I feel that most of the speed with a progressive comes from having a system. I've watched guys load on a progressive and they have a ton of wasted movements. Use both hands and make sure each one is dong something during the normal down time. While you're pulling the handle with your right hand your left hand should already be grabbing a bullet, don't wait for each operation to finish before starting the next step. I work with 550s so I have to manually index the shell plate. So the same goes for while my left hand is rotating the shell plate and placing the bullet on top of the charged case I make sure that my right hand isn't idle and it's grabbing the next piece of brass and placing it in station #1.
If you can get this ambidextrous movement going on you can up your production a ton.

Edited to add: I feel that most of the speed with a progressive comes from having a system. I've watched guys load on a progressive and they have a ton of wasted movements. Use both hands and make sure each one is dong something during the normal down time. While you're pulling the handle with your right hand your left hand should already be grabbing a bullet, don't wait for each operation to finish before starting the next step. I work with 550s so I have to manually index the shell plate. So the same goes for while my left hand is rotating the shell plate and placing the bullet on top of the charged case I make sure that my right hand isn't idle and it's grabbing the next piece of brass and placing it in station #1.
If you can get this ambidextrous movement going on you can up your production a ton.
Yup! Exactly what I do.

Back
Top Bottom