What did you do in the reloading room recently?

I’ll look in my book when I get home. Pretty sure 15.2 was like a max. But I’m probably wrong.

I’m not sure what is being discussed at this point. Load data for H110 is especially inconsistent from book to book. The “fun fact” just tells us that H110 is more dense, which even if it were made of the exact same stuff you’d expect because it is finer. Using the Lee data on grains/cc one calculates 16.1 grains of H110 to 14.2 grains of 2400, but some variance is to be expected.

Using the Lee data on grains/cc one calculates 16.1 grains of H110 to 14.2 grains of 2400, but some variance is to be expected.

I should rephrase it to say that with the powder I have on hand from whatever lots they are from, it was the case that 16.3g of H110 was the same powder bar setting as 14.2g of 2400.

I was loading 357 in my Dillon 550, just finished up loading some with 2400 at 14.2g, and switched powders to try some loads of H110. Without changing anything but what powder was in the hopper, it threw 16.3 grains per my 505 scale. Since it was within the load data limits in my manuals (my Lyman 49 says with 158g jacketed, 2400 has a max of 14.9 and H110 has a max of 17.0), out of curiosity, I used that for the load.

FWIW, chrono data from those loads with 158g Zero bullet seated to 1.570-1.580", Starline brass, CCI500 primer (edit: 550 with H110), out of a 6" S&W revolver about 10' from the muzzle:

14.2g 2400, average 1111 fps, SD 14 fps
16.3g H110, average 1126 fps, SD 27 fps

Last edited:
I should rephrase it to say that with the powder I have on hand from whatever lots they are from, it was the case that 16.3g of H110 was the same powder bar setting as 14.2g of 2400.

I was loading 357 in my Dillon 550, just finished up loading some with 2400 at 14.2g, and switched powders to try some loads of H110. Without changing anything but what powder was in the hopper, it threw 16.3 grains per my 505 scale. Since it was within the load data limits in my manuals (my Lyman 49 says with 158g jacketed, 2400 has a max of 14.9 and H110 has a max of 17.0), out of curiosity, I used that for the load.

FWIW, chrono data from those loads with 158g Zero bullet seated to 1.570-1.580", Starline brass, CCI500 primer, out of a 6" S&W revolver about 10' from the muzzle:

14.2g 2400, average 1111 fps, SD 14 fps
16.3g H110, average 1126 fps, SD 27 fps
From all I’ve researched on H110/296 I won’t bother in my 357/44 loads
With all the top strap and forcing cone damage along with needing magnum primers a 100 FPS again isn’t worth it to me.
I can’t replace my old revolvers for what I’m willing to pay for them.
H110 sucks 😁

I didn't intend to come across as nitpicking or anything. Since the "fun fact" was pretty much as expected from the powder density data (https://leeprecision.com/files/instruct/VMD.pdf), the reply about maximum charge confused me. I couldn't see how the matters were related.

Got my Giraud Tri Way trimmer today. Trimmed about 200 pieces in about 30 minutes taking my time and stopping occasionally to check sizing and overall beauty. The thing is a work of art. The lengths barely vary by 0.001” out of a random sample I took. If you’re on the fence about it, get one! The next one I’ll get is for 223.

Got my Giraud Tri Way trimmer today. Trimmed about 200 pieces in about 30 minutes taking my time and stopping occasionally to check sizing and overall beauty. The thing is a work of art. The lengths barely vary by 0.001” out of a random sample I took. If you’re on the fence about it, get one! The next one I’ll get is for 223.
Nice!! Glad it worked well for you.

Good lord man. I think your reloading stuff is worth more than my house! Where are you off to? Pete
Yikes that's sure a lot of reloading stuff. That's a full truck load in of itself never mind the rest of your house. Yes where u heading?
Headed to SC.

Dude.....is that a box of diapers I see in the middle of all that ammunition making madness?!??
Ive been saving pampers boxes for 3 years now! My reloading stuff is going incognito.....

Headed to SC.

Ive been saving pampers boxes for 3 years now! My reloading stuff is going incognito.....

Nice move. [thumbsup]

For the rest of us we can get custom packing tape with your own verbiage and graphics.
"Caution: coronavirus/medical waste" sounds good.
Custom-Packing-Tape.png

Pull the barrel ed action from the stock ,
then with a brush with a patch over it you can use hot dish soapy water like a plunger. Place the muzzle in the bucket , the cleaning rod throuvh the chamber and start pumping that warm soapy water through the bore. The warm water helps and the dish soap is a good surfactant.

the foaming bore cleaners did well for me with my dark bore K98 dont see much of the foaming cleaners these days. Used up the last of my GunSlick brand copper foam cleaner on a friends garand that I dont think seen since D day.
My k98 was a bit rough but shoots pretty good.
can hold the black of a SR target anyway
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="k98 - YouTube" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Now 160 patches over wire brush through the bore, using Hoppes and CLP and still patches are coming out black.
This is truly the dirtiest bore I've ever encountered.

It is getting clean though, significant crispness of riflings are starting to show through. I think when it's done it should be a clean but dark bore.

This is why I clean my guns right after shooting most times, it just saves a lot of time down the road.

Now 160 patches over wire brush through the bore, using Hoppes and CLP and still patches are coming out black.
This is truly the dirtiest bore I've ever encountered.

It is getting clean though, significant crispness of riflings are starting to show through. I think when it's done it should be a clean but dark bore.

This is why I clean my guns right after shooting most times, it just saves a lot of time down the road.
Ditch the pactches just brush , flood rinse and brush some more. Use a garden hose or pump up sprayer to rinse it.

Ditch the pactches just brush , flood rinse and brush some more. Use a garden hose or pump up sprayer to rinse it.

I'm working at a deficit here, using a 30cal brush with T shirt patches over it.

I understand the flooding method with the dish soap and realize it will be the method needed after shooting corrosive Romanian 8mm ammo in the future.

I've just heen toying with this bore building experience, wondering how difficult it is going to be to get it clean and shiny before taking it out back and shooting it dirty again.

I'm working at a deficit here, using a 30cal brush with T shirt patches over it.

I understand the flooding method with the dish soap and realize it will be the method needed after shooting corrosive Romanian 8mm ammo in the future.

I've just heen toying with this bore building experience, wondering how difficult it is going to be to get it clean and shiny before taking it out back and shooting it dirty again.
Sounds like you have more carbon fouling than anything. Problem with patches is smear it around more than removing it. At this point I would tell you to put a cork in the muzzle and fill it with break cleaner or other spray solvent a few times then flush with clean solvent . The more you get out the more you uncover pits full of more shit.

Sounds like you have more carbon fouling than anything. Problem with patches is smear it around more than removing it. At this point I would tell you to put a cork in the muzzle and fill it with break cleaner or other spray solvent a few times then flush with clean solvent . The more you get out the more you uncover pits full of more shit.
I had the same "problem" with a Polish m44 I picked up cheep. The bore was very bad....but the price was right......$140 If I remember right. Other than the bore the rifle was mint. Someone had definitely fired corrosive surp ammo and left it.

I cleaned the shit out of it with a copper bore brush hooked to a drill.....then corked it and filled it with clp and left it muzzle down for a week......cleaned it with the drill again and got the rust out. Bore was quite pitted. But.....didn't bother the accuracy at all. Shoots quite well in fact.

Loaded up 50 rounds of 357

Zero 158 grain jsp
12.7 grains 2400
Win mag primer
Seated to 1.59 oal

I thought about going straight for 14 grains of 2400 but Lyman tells me 11.3 to 14.9 so went for the middle.

Who knows it might be a nice low range 357 for the Henry.

Will try to test soon

Also loaded up 100 rounds 38 special
158 grain zero jsp
9 grains 2400
Win small primer
Seated to 1.45

Have to build up some back stock of 38/357

Oh hey look what FedEx delivered today. This should hold me over for a little while in addition to the one pound containers I have. $160 shipped - not bad considering it was the only thing I bought.

And holy crap Alliant uses a big ass jug for their 8 pounders. I don’t even think it’s half full?
2C610A08-B5D2-4473-9609-450AE8A45039.jpeg
Water jug for scale [laugh]
5A2146E8-540A-4CF5-A055-7761A615ED4D.jpeg

Last edited:
Oh hey look what FedEx delivered today. This should hold me over for a little while in addition to the one pound containers I have. $160 shipped - not bad considering it was the only thing I bought.

And holy crap Alliant uses a big ass jug for their 8 pounders. I don’t even think it’s half full?
View attachment 329460
View attachment 329462
NICE!
I picked one up last summer and haven't cracked into it yet. Yeah I think they do that because something like Red Dot is so fluffy it wouldn't fit into the 8# containers that you see for something like Varget.

View attachment 329460
View attachment 329462
I went with the 1 pounder.....had to make sure it was gonna work with the Henry before going crazy

Have to say so far I like it.

Only problem is I'm using 9 grains for 38 loads.......with the cast 158 I can use 3.5 or 3.7 bullseye so I'm seeing the pound of 2400 go quick! However it does burn cleaner than bullseye.......and I'm liking the jacketed bullets.

I went with the 1 pounder.....had to make sure it was gonna work with the Henry before going crazy

Only problem is I'm using 9 grains for 38 loads.......with the cast 158 I can use 3.5 or 3.7 bullseye so I'm seeing the pound of 2400 go quick! However it does burn cleaner than bullseye.......and I'm liking the jacketed bullets.
I really think unique would be a great choice for you.

Oh yeah definitely! Don’t want to buy a ton without testing first.

Can you use lighter bullets? For less powder?

Back
Top Bottom