What did you do in the reloading room recently?

Loaded up 500 9mm that I had cast and coated this last week.
Crushed two primers - think I missed a couple of crimped cases when sorting the brass.

A couple of stoppages for upside down cases but not bad for a couple of hours work on the loadmaster.

Going on travel for work again so hopefully the per diem money will be enough to restock the supplies (hard choice: steak dinners or primers....)

Anyone know where I can get bulk (5000+) primers I'm SE Mass? Or is there a big enough discount to bother buying

Last edited:
Loaded up 500 9mm that I had cast and coated this last week.
Crushed two primers - think I missed a couple of crimped cases when sorting the brass.

A couple of stoppages for upside down cases but not bad for a couple of hours work on the loadmaster.

Going on travel for work again so hopefully the per diem money will be enough to restock the supplies (hard choice: steak dinners or primers....)

Anyone know where I can get bulk (5000+) primers I'm SE Mass? Or is there a big enough discount to bother buying
Shooting supply will sell you a sleeve of primers. Not sure if there is a discount though.

Despite having thousands of 357 magnum loaded for rifle and even a few hundred loaded at 38+P velocity for the closest thing I have to a safe queen, I was annoyed last week to realize I had no moderate magnums loaded for practice with my carry revolver. Ended up practicing with 38+P’s. I had most of a canister of HS-6 open, and I’ve replaced HS-6 with Shooters World Auto Pistol for my 45C loads, so I figured I’d finish off the HS-6 in practice 357M, real magnums, just not fire breathers that one makes with slower powders. 42756923-07C3-49B9-8BD0-12B446829C2E.jpeg

I loaded the last of my clean 357 mag brass (about 500) with the Zero 158 gr JSPs over 2400.
Finally figured out the light strike issue with my DW 357. Seems like the CCI primers are just a tad too hard as I get a light strike in DA about every 6-10 rounds. Tried some rounds that were loaded with Win primers and all went bang in DA. I was trying to avoid going with a heavier main spring.
78FE274C-6FDA-45BD-86C3-6AA5FA5FF9B9.png

I loaded the last of my clean 357 mag brass (about 500) with the Zero 158 gr JSPs over 2400.
Finally figured out the light strike issue with my DW 357. Seems like the CCI primers are just a tad too hard as I get a light strike in DA about every 6-10 rounds. Tried some rounds that were loaded with Win primers and all went bang in DA. I was trying to avoid going with a heavier main spring.
View attachment 325515
Yeah this is one reason I always use Winchester primers.

I got about 500 CCI’s left and tens of thousands of Win’s. I’ll be staying with Win from now on.
I did have to modify the Dillon primer pickup tubes a bit. Seems like the Win primers are just slightly oversized compared to CCI? Had to open up the tip of the tubes just a tad.

I got about 500 CCI’s left and tens of thousands of Win’s. I’ll be staying with Win from now on.
I did have to modify the Dillon primer pickup tubes a bit. Seems like the Win primers are just slightly oversized compared to CCI? Had to open up the tip of the tubes just a tad.
Interesting. I never had any issues with my tubes but who knows. My Dillon equipment was all used so maybe it was done by the last owner.

I had the exact opposite problem. Winchester primers worked fine in the Dillon primer tubes and CCI jammed up everytime. I stopped using CCI 20 years ago.

I had occasional light primer strikes on CCI primers in a S&W J frame with an Apex kit. Tried 100 Winchester primers, and those all lit off fine. But I just put stock springs back in it, and it runs the CCIs fine.

I use a Dillon 550. I didn't notice a difference using the primer pickup tubes on Winchester vs CCI.

Interesting. I never had any issues with my tubes but who knows. My Dillon equipment was all used so maybe it was done by the last owner.
Weird. I suppose I could contact Dillon but it’s a simple fix so prob not worth it. I got these tubes about 5 years ago directly from Dillon since the Hornady tubes are brutal.

I had occasional light primer strikes on CCI primers in a S&W J frame with an Apex kit. Tried 100 Winchester primers, and those all lit off fine. But I just put stock springs back in it, and it runs the CCIs fine.

I use a Dillon 550. I didn't notice a difference using the primer pickup tubes on Winchester vs CCI.
I think if I put in the factory 9lb spring, they’d ignite the CCI’s but the DA is nice with the 8lb spring.

...and Federal's are even softer. The "marshmallow" of the primer world. I know some won't use them because they are "too" soft and in theory should be more susceptible to going off if jammed up in a press. I've loaded many, many, thousands for 9MM without issue. I switched when I started messing with springs on my Glock. I was getting light primer strikes every mag. Switch to Federal primers...100% reliable.

...and Federal's are even softer. The "marshmallow" of the primer world. I know some won't use them because they are "too" soft and in theory should be more susceptible to going off if jammed up in a press. I've loaded many, many, thousands for 9MM without issue. I switched when I started messing with springs on my Glock. I was getting light primer strikes every mag. Switch to Federal primers...100% reliable.
I just HATE how bulky the federal boxes are. I realize why but I can store twice as many Win/CCI primers as I can with the federals.

Yup. Federals are soft and safe and come in annoyingly bulky packaging. Only thing left to point out is that if you were hoping to evaluate the primer signs, you might find them flattened out real good at mouse fart pressures.

you might find them flattened out real good at mouse fart pressures.

I tossed a bunch of once fired 9mm Federal ammo my son-in-law gave me for this reason, especially since 9mm brass if fairly easy to come by. I was taught that flattened primers may be a sign of high pressures. Not all the primers were flattened either, which added to my concern with high pressures. Might be overly conservative, but I don't have to wonder every time I squeeze the trigger.

I got a case stuck in a resizing die.
Ouch!

Cracked open a new bucket of tumbling media and cleaned up some 300 Blackout brass.
Just picked up a NOS 20 gauge Mec 600 MK V and a 12 gauge to match. The 12 gauge seems to have been unboxed and never used.
I’ll probably set them up tonight and sell off the older models I have.

Cast up 12 lbs of 126gr 9mm - need to look at a larger mold
This one is on sale but not sure if 8 cavity is something I want to swing around for hours.
9mm/38cal SWC – HG275 Clone 8 Cavity Bevel base mold - NO LUBE GROOVE ~ MP-molds

Also modelled up a 40 S&W seater die - a quick change to my 45 ACP model.

Cast up 12 lbs of 126gr 9mm - need to look at a larger mold
This one is on sale but not sure if 8 cavity is something I want to swing around for hours.
9mm/38cal SWC – HG275 Clone 8 Cavity Bevel base mold - NO LUBE GROOVE ~ MP-molds

Also modelled up a 40 S&W seater die - a quick change to my 45 ACP model.
I have one of his 6 cavity Moulds and I bet his 8 cavity is no bigger than the lee 6 cavity.

I have one of his 6 cavity Moulds and I bet his 8 cavity is no bigger than the lee 6 cavity.
Unfortunately, I'm traveling the next two weeks so I won't be able to do any ordering until I get back.
I may just pick up Lee 6 cavity molds when I get back if my per diem money actually comes in (eat cheap and save the money for toys).

Tried Green Dot in 38 special. I bought a pound to make up some 12 gauge target loads, and decided to experiment with it in 38. I've previously tried Unique, Power Pistol, Red Dot, and Winchester 231 in 38.

Alliant doesn't list Green Dot in current load data for that cartridge, and it's not shown (or at least I don't see it) for 38 Special in the Lyman 49th manual either. Went back to a 2003 Alliant manual for data. They show Green Dot data for 38 Special with a 158 LSWC at 3.5 grains and +P at 3.7 grains.

As I wasn't sure how well it metered or how quickly things went sideways with an over or under charge, I used my Dillon 550 for everything except charging, which I did using an RCBS Uniflow and trickler along with a 505 scale to measure each charge.

158 grain SNS LSWC seated to 1.480"
CCI 500
Federal 38 brass trimmed to 1.150"
3.6 grains Green Dot

S&W 442, 1 7/8" barrel, about 0.008" cylinder gap, chrono about 3 feet from muzzle, 28 degrees F, 10 shots:
Average 667fps High 702fps Low 640fps ES 62fps SD 19fps

Same as above, but 3.7 grains of Green dot, 5 shots:
Average 688fps High 709fps Low 673fps ES 36fps SD 17fps

It's a nice bulky powder, so pretty good case fill for these light charges in 38. Not bad. Some leading around the forcing cone and front of cylinder, leading not bad in the barrel. I'll probably stick with Win 231 for most target loads, but nice to know what else works when things get hard to find. When I burn up what I have on hand for powders, I'll probably pick up some Bullseye to try out.

Tried Green Dot in 38 special. I bought a pound to make up some 12 gauge target loads, and decided to experiment with it in 38. I've previously tried Unique, Power Pistol, Red Dot, and Winchester 231 in 38.

Alliant doesn't list Green Dot in current load data for that cartridge, and it's not shown (or at least I don't see it) for 38 Special in the Lyman 49th manual either. Went back to a 2003 Alliant manual for data. They show Green Dot data for 38 Special with a 158 LSWC at 3.5 grains and +P at 3.7 grains.

As I wasn't sure how well it metered or how quickly things went sideways with an over or under charge, I used my Dillon 550 for everything except charging, which I did using an RCBS Uniflow and trickler along with a 505 scale to measure each charge.

158 grain SNS LSWC seated to 1.480"
CCI 500
Federal 38 brass trimmed to 1.150"
3.6 grains Green Dot

S&W 442, 1 7/8" barrel, about 0.008" cylinder gap, chrono about 3 feet from muzzle, 28 degrees F, 10 shots:
Average 667fps High 702fps Low 640fps ES 62fps SD 19fps

Same as above, but 3.7 grains of Green dot, 5 shots:
Average 688fps High 709fps Low 673fps ES 36fps SD 17fps

It's a nice bulky powder, so pretty good case fill for these light charges in 38. Not bad. Some leading around the forcing cone and front of cylinder, leading not bad in the barrel. I'll probably stick with Win 231 for most target loads, but nice to know what else works when things get hard to find. When I burn up what I have on hand for powders, I'll probably pick up some Bullseye to try out.
I've only used Win 231 in 38spl until last night. For a change, I finally opened the pound of Shooter's World "Clean Pistol" I got on sale last night and made 100 rounds with the last of the Remington 130grs I had on hand. We'll see how they shoot. I have a good amount of 158s now to try in various loads.

I need to make some more Makarov as well.

I've only used Win 231 in 38spl until last night. For a change, I finally opened the pound of Shooter's World "Clean Pistol" I got on sale last night and made 100 rounds with the last of the Remington 130grs I had on hand. We'll see how they shoot. I have a good amount of 158s now to try in various loads.

I need to make some more Makarov as well.

Do you use a chronograph? I bought a ~$100 Competition Electronics ProChrono, and it's definitely been money well spent, as I like to experiment. Although I am prone to chasing low standard deviation numbers to the point of slight ridiculousness.

I had bad ES and SD numbers using 130 grain Berry's plated in 38 Special. Their speeds were all over the place, almost no matter what powder and charge I tried. Definitely not buying them again. About the only way I got them to settle down and run with low SD numbers was with 38+P charges of Power Pistol, or set way back to 1.33" so I could crimp over the start of the ogive with +P loads of Red Dot. Not a fan.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom