• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What did you do in the reloading room recently?

You got a deal there! Good for you. Berdan primers just don't seem to have a path into the USA anymore. Years back, I think I snagged the last two cases from Grafs and that was the end of them.
As for depriming, I use water and a Lee decap punch/base . Everyone has a 30 cal. punch with a broken pin, correct? I have a punch that works for 8mm, too.
Other calibers usually get the RCBS decapping tool treatment. It is about 99% useful, but you have to be sensitive with the cutter adjustment to spare the anvil, yes. Many balk over the price, but if you do enough of these, it all evens out in the end.
Some cases are virtually impossible to decap. I usually toss any French product. Yugo 8mm is tough with water, but the tool will get most of them. GP11 and Turkish 8mm decap nicely with water. Initial reloading can dress the primer pockets for easier subsequent decapping.
If it requires more work than above, it ends up as scrap, as I don't find it worth the extra work (especially when boxer-primed brass is available for most calibers these days).
hint: just use a plastic bread wrapper to aid with loose-fitting case mouths. It usually provides enough sealing to decap. If you really want extra work, neck-size the brass before decapping to get a better seal.

Stumbled on a dud round at the range, wasn't sure what it was. Pulled it apart to check it out. 8mm Mauser? Looks like something (primer? powder?) started decaying and causing corrosion.

179.2 grain silver color bullet, 8.24mm diameter below the cannelure, 8.18mm diameter above
43.4 grains of some kind of stick powder
Berdan primer
1951 headstamp? I'm not familiar with these.

8mm_1.jpg

8mm_2_headstamp.jpg

8mm_3_powder.jpg

Last edited:
Stumbled on a dud round at the range, wasn't sure what it was. Pulled it apart to check it out. 8mm Mauser? Looks like something (primer? powder?) started decaying and causing corrosion.

179.2 grain silver color bullet, 8.24mm diameter below the cannelure, 8.18mm diameter above
43.4 grains of some kind of stick powder
Berdan primer
1951 headstamp? I'm not familiar with these.

View attachment 323021

View attachment 323024
Israeli 8mm Mauser, it looks like.
1578420565845.png

Looks like something (primer? powder?) started decaying and causing corrosion.

View attachment 323021

Steel jacket on the bullet?

It was likely the powder that caused the corrosion. The acidic byproducts of powder degradation rusted the jacket. Brass is more corrosion resistant so you won't see as much damage there.

From Wikipedia:
Nitrocellulose deteriorates with time, yielding acidic byproducts. Those byproducts catalyze the further deterioration, increasing its rate. The released heat, in case of bulk storage of the powder, or too large blocks of solid propellant, can cause self-ignition of the material. Single-base nitrocellulose propellants are hygroscopic and most susceptible to degradation; double-base and triple-base propellants tend to deteriorate more slowly. To neutralize the decomposition products, which could otherwise cause corrosion of metals of the cartridges and gun barrels, calcium carbonate is added to some formulations.

To prevent buildup of the deterioration products, stabilizers are added. Diphenylamine is one of the most common stabilizers used. Nitrated analogs of diphenylamine formed in the process of stabilizing decomposing powder are sometimes used as stabilizers themselves.[3]:28[7]:310 The stabilizers are added in the amount of 0.5–2% of the total amount of the formulation; higher amounts tend to degrade its ballistic properties. The amount of the stabilizer is depleted with time. Propellants in storage should be periodically tested for the amount of stabilizer remaining, as its depletion may lead to auto-ignition of the propellant.
[\quote]

I wouldn't fire ammo from 1951 (or older) unless I had to.

Steel jacket on the bullet?

Just checked, yes. Attracts a magnet.

Would the degrading powder also cause the primer to fail? I'm about halfway through Hatcher's Notebook, wouldn't surprise me if that answer in the second half. Just finished reading the chapter on gunpowder production, and the size of the hole in stick powder being a way to control burn rate.

Just checked, yes. Attracts a magnet.

Would the degrading powder also cause the primer to fail? I'm about halfway through Hatcher's Notebook, wouldn't surprise me if that answer in the second half. Just finished reading the chapter on gunpowder production, and the size of the hole in stick powder being a way to control burn rate.
I don't know. Most primers are brass (or nickel plated brass) so I doubt it would affect the cup or anvil. I don't know if/how an acidic environment will change the chemistry.

Lots of things affect burn rate - the ratio of nitroglycerin to nitrocellulose, the size, shape, and porosity of the granules, plus all the chemicals they use as stabilizers and retardants all change the burn rate.

How was the Hornady service?
RCBS is fantastic. They will grind a stem specifically for the bullet you are using if they don't already have one

I didnt use Hornady service, I just ordered a ELD stem from Amazon and had it in a couple days. The new stem was perfect. I'll still use the original for my 55gr reloads

I use the Winchester data for W296/H110. 18.5 gr with the 125 gr JHP. Fills the case to at least 90% under the bullet. Worked well for years in my Python and Little Jack's Marlin lever gun. More is better than too little for a controlled burn vs a detonation. Jack.
Where did you find th data to go 18.5 grains under a 125 grain jacketed?

I'd actually like to down load under 21......just never saw any data to support using under 21......the reference I had on the hodgedon site says min 21 and not to down load under that.

I sized and primed about 200 38 specials and 100 357 cases to get ready for the shipment of zero bullets 158 grain jsp I have delivering tomorrow.

What a bargain at 11 cents each for jacketed bullets!

I sized and primed about 200 38 specials and 100 357 cases to get ready for the shipment of zero bullets 158 grain jsp I have delivering tomorrow.

What a bargain at 11 cents each for jacketed bullets!
Nice! And they ship pretty fast too which is nice. Their service and prices are hard to beat.

Where did you find th data to go 18.5 grains under a 125 grain jacketed?

I'd actually like to down load under 21......just never saw any data to support using under 21......the reference I had on the hodgedon site says min 21 and not to down load under that.
The data is from a 30+ year old Winchester data sheet that I use for all their powders. The data, like me, is probably obsolete now. They also specify Win. magnum primers. Jack.

Are these FMJ or lead tip? I ask since different sites that sell Zero bullets show both types for this bullet.
These are JSP/JHPs.
They do sell FMJ and conical JHP (no lead exposed except inside the hollow point). The 130 gr FMJ's are even cheaper. The conical JHPs are a little over 11 cents each.

Are these FMJ or lead tip? I ask since different sites that sell Zero bullets show both types for this bullet.
Jacketed soft points.

A jacketed bullet with an exposed flat nose lead tip.

10.8 cents each when you buy 1000.

Last edited:
Not trying to sound like a dink [laugh] , but could you remove the link?

Agreed. I appreciate the info, but we probably shouldn't include links to certain sites. I would like it if we could all share our sources, but our AG is always on the prowl and would love to eliminate our ability to get these supplies.

Agreed. I appreciate the info, but we probably shouldn't include links to certain sites. I would like it if we could all share our sources, but our AG is always on the prowl and would love to eliminate our ability to get these supplies.
I know all of this.

It was a momentary lapse in sanity.

Back
Top Bottom