• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What did you do in the reloading room recently?

Yep it does. Ive been there myself, although I never did anywhere close to 4200. Loading 9mm on a single stage was all the inspiration I needed to break down and buy a 650.
I understand. I was just killing time an hour or two here and there and it actually goes faster than you'd think. I've got a 550B I was just too lazy to get it out and set it up.

Picked up a Lyman Cyclone wet tumbler about a week and a half ago, have wet tumbled about 5 gallons of dirty 9mm brass in prep for loading this winter I've also loaded about 800 rounds of 9MM 147 gr. Brazo's with Sport Pistol this last week. Thinking about converting the press over soon to .38 Spl and .357 to stock back up on those.

im going to load up some lee 12g 1oz slugs for a quick test in the 870, rifled barrel vs smooth slug barrel vs 28" field barrel with MOD choke, because rifle season is ovah!

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGUfTfGwYVk&t=3s

I did not dig out the 28" barrel. Maybe next week. i dont really expect anything different
Remington 2 3/4" ST S , 16 grains clays, WAA12SL wad, CCI 209 seated to 10lbs on the Mec 650 , 1oz Lee Key drive slug.
Aprox 1200fps. I dont have any powder to push them to 1500 fps like factory Rem sluggers.

Remove the flyers and the top target with rifled barrel and red dot have a slight advantage. Knowing my eye sight and not having my correct Rx the red dot helped with slight better accuracy.
Funny how the groups are darn near the same though. Will cast some more slugs adjust the iron sights a bit.
The rifled barrel is going back to the owner.
The red dot is going back on the Omega.

Last edited:
I cast and loaded up some 458 Socom to shoot out of my new rifle. Can't wait to get out to the range and give these a try.

It was my first time loading rifle ammo. The biggest thing I learned was use plenty of lube. It took me about 1/2 hour to remove a stuck case from the resizing/depriming die when I first started. I had used a little lube to start but clearly not enough. I hit the rest of the brass with a much more generous dose of lube and didn't have any more problems.

Last edited:
I cast and loaded up some 458 Socom to shoot out of my new rifle. Can't wait to get out to the range and give these a try.

It was my first time loading rifle ammo. The biggest thing I learned was use plenty of lube. It took me about 1/2 hour to remove a stuck case from the resizing/depriming die when I first started. I had used a little lube to start but clearly not enough. I hit the rest of the brass with a much more generous dose of lube and didn't have any more problems.

Aaahhhhh....the dreaded stuck case.....we've all done it. The one I stuck was a .223 using the old formulation of "One Shot"....I ended up tossing the die and the One Shot. I never bought another can of it until just recently( 22 years) for use on pistol cases. It is unquestionably a different lube than what it used to be.

What lube are you using?

Just got back from the range. Boy those 125 gr 357 mag loads are super flashy. Just as accurate as the 158s though.
View attachment 312018View attachment 312019
More flash for sure. They will also erode a forcing cone faster than 158s too (that's what Ruger told me).I used factory and hand loaded 125 grain 357 mags almost exclusively in my Ruger sp101 for 7 years of ownership. Definitely took its toll on the cone. Ruger re barreled it, cleaned it to like new, and polished out the handling marks for free when I sent it back. Before and after below. 20190620_203149.jpg
20190711_195824.jpg

image.jpeg

Just got back from cleaning off the shelf at Harbor Freight of their .50cal cans. Added ten to the inventory. Picked up the mail on the way home and there was a new hat in my box too.

At the casting seminar, cast and coated some 230gr RN bullets and sized to .452 to try in a 45 Colt Ruger Blackhawk (special thanks to @Michael J. Spangler @1919FAN @BillNed @mac1911 and all the others). Last night I searched through Lee 1st and 2nd, Lyman Cast 3rd, Lyman 44th, 48th and 49th, Speer 12th, and Hornady 4th for some load data. Also hit up @Michael J. Spangler for his advice. Using W231, because I have it, loaded up 45 rounds starting at 5.7gr and ending at 7.3gr with an OAL of 1.655. All for plinking. Plan to hit the range on Monday and see how it turns out.
cast and coated.jpg Development.jpg Finished.jpg

I run two 550’s in my room. But recently picked up a Square Deal B in a trade. So I’m cleaning that up today. It’s a very nice press. Compact and simple to operate. If you ever wanted to go to the range and work up a load on a single caliber you could bring this along without much trouble.

I run two 550’s in my room. But recently picked up a Square Deal B in a trade. So I’m cleaning that up today. It’s a very nice press. Compact and simple to operate. If you ever wanted to go to the range and work up a load on a single caliber you could bring this along without much trouble.
The SDB is a great press if you don’t have to switch it over to another cartridge.

Made a whopping 14 rounds of 7.62x54R (was finishing off a pound of IMR 4895).
Tidied up the reloading area a bit as well. Got 5 lbs of Vihtavuori powders plus a free manual on the way, going to get the $5/lb rebate as well and free hazmat. Not too bad all-around, I'd say. Haven't tried Vihta before, but I have high expectations.

I loaded up some test batches of 357 magnum with 2400, both 158gr and 125gr JHP. First time I have used this powder. Interested to see how it does with velocity and accuracy compared to my previous loads with BlueDot and N105. I shoot 357 magnum in a Marlin 1894c
I get excellent accuracy with 2400 in my DW revolvers. ~2" groups at 100 yards.

I need to get a lever gun in 357 to see how they perform.

I may try coated bullets one more time before I go back to plated. The ibejiheads just didn't give me the accuracy I'm looking for. Anyone use Bayou or Black Bullets?

Back
Top Bottom