What did you do in the reloading room recently?

Funny you should post this. I have some mix from last year. I went to coat some bullets yesterday and the color was all hardened to the bottom of the bottle. This is the first time I've ever seen this.
I've had stuff mixed up for long periods of time with no issue. Usually I mix up new stuff from time to time and add it to what I have some maybe not adding any for over a year did this batch in. So I grabbed some dark green/gold I had mixed up from around this time last year and coated without any issues. Weird.

If you're ever short on coating and need some to get you through let me know. I have plenty.
I was going to keep my old stove for bullet coating and heat treating but looking at it under the deck I could not have it.
I will snag a small toaster oven at some point

Been loading for a few years but still call myself a novice, tonight was probably the worst reload night of all.

Fighting two issues on my Dillion 650 and one stupid error on my part.

The white collar on the powder safety bar/rod keeps breaking, third one now and can not figure out why.

Secondly my small pistol primers are fighting me and they are winning. My disk suddenly locks up and I find a crushed primer although I stop at the slightest resistance. Took the primer system apart at least 8 times tonight, going to call Dillion in the morning.

Then about 20 bullets shy of 500 and what a tough 480 it was, really tough. My son walks by and says the powder looks odd.

I had loaded the hopper with Varget instead of tightgroup, concentrating on the primers....

So I just finished separating all the parts again, cleaned out the powder hopper ready to start tomorrow night. Only saving grace I now have 480 pre primed cases, I removed the deprimmer pin and will run them through with the correct powder.

arghhhhhhhhhhh

Been loading for a few years but still call myself a novice, tonight was probably the worst reload night of all.

The white collar on the powder safety bar/rod keeps breaking, third one now and can not figure out why.

Secondly my small pistol primers are fighting me and they are winning. My disk suddenly locks up and I find a crushed primer although I stop at the slightest resistance. Took the primer system apart at least 8 times tonight, going to call Dillion in the morning.

Then about 20 bullets shy of 500 and what a tough 480 it was, really tough. My son walks by and says the powder looks odd.

I had loaded the hopper with Varget instead of tightgroup, concentrating on the primers....

So I just finished separating all the parts again, cleaned out the powder hopper ready to start tomorrow night. Only saving grace I now have 480 pre primed cases, I removed the deprimmer pin and will run them through with the correct powder.

arghhhhhhhhhhh
Ya know, it's supposed to be a relaxing hobby.

arghhhhhhhhhhh
Problems with the Blue KoolAid Machine! Impossible!

arghhhhhhhhhhh
Are you 100% sure theres no bullets loaded with varget?

arghhhhhhhhhhh

I love Dillon but not the 650.
I’ve heard too many horror stories mainly with the priming system.
Get a 550 or get a new 750.
I feel your pain. I’ve chased my tail a night or two and it sucks. I bet Dillon knows what the issue is and after a quick adjustment you’ll be up and running

Problems with the Blue KoolAid Machine! Impossible!
Lol
Had issues with mine lately, mainly the case feeder. Cases making their way down the tube upside down and a couple of times getting lodged sideways at the funnel at the top of the tube. More of an annoyance really, just weird because it ran fine in the few years I've had it and both problems have popped up just recently.

I love Dillon but not the 650.
I’ve heard too many horror stories mainly with the priming system.
Get a 550 or get a new 750.
I feel your pain. I’ve chased my tail a night or two and it sucks. I bet Dillon knows what the issue is and after a quick adjustment you’ll be up and running

Just for clarification, I have thousands of rounds through my 650, thousands. Prep (RT 1500) and load 223, 44,45,357,38,9mm.
I hand load all my precision rounds like 308 on a single stage press.

I’m a neat freak, so kept very clean and I follow the maintenance video to the letter, correct grease machine oil etc.
While I’ve had to work the primers in the past normally they settle down by the time I have checked powder weight and ready go full steam.
Last night they kept locking up, might be humidity, might be bad batch, same primers I always use, will try a different box tonight.

The collar breaking on the safety bar is a new one though, it moves freely, bar looks in good shape.

I will call Dillion today see what they have to say.

harry

Just for clarification, I have thousands of rounds through my 650, thousands. Prep (RT 1500) and load 223, 44,45,357,38,9mm.
I hand load all my precision rounds like 308 on a single stage press.

I’m a neat freak, so kept very clean and I follow the maintenance video to the letter, correct grease machine oil etc.
While I’ve had to work the primers in the past normally they settle down by the time I have checked powder weight and ready go full steam.
Last night they kept locking up, might be humidity, might be bad batch, same primers I always use, will try a different box tonight.

The collar breaking on the safety bar is a new one though, it moves freely, bar looks in good shape.

I will call Dillion today see what they have to say.

harry

Let us know how you make out.

That reminds me that I need to ship a 450 back to them for the spa treatment.

I spoke Dillon tech today.

The powder safety rod collar breaking was a quick fix, the plate that it sits in was bitting the collar and weaken it. Simply took a large flat blade screwdriver between the opening and twisted.
This opens up the hole and now the collar moves freely, there should be no resistance. They are sending me a couple of replacement collars.

The primer issue; he said that the primer disc should be swapped out every so often they are soft metal and any microscopic wear can cause friction and lock up the disc.
They are sending me a replacement disc and primer magazine tube.

I will update when I receive them and let you know.

Harry

The powder safety rod collar breaking was a quick fix, the plate that it sits in was bitting the collar and weaken it. Simply took a large flat blade screwdriver between the opening and twisted.
This opens up the hole and now the collar moves freely, there should be no resistance. They are sending me a couple of replacement collars.

The primer issue; he said that the primer disc should be swapped out every so often they are soft metal and any microscopic wear can cause friction and lock up the disc.

Harry

Dillon tech support is phenomenal.

22059_xl_650_quick_change_t.jpg
dieset_t.jpg

Just ordered the above from Dillon for .38/.357. I've been reloading 9mm and just started reloading 357Sig.

I shot a LOT of .38 this summer and I picked up a fair bit of the brass. Bought the conversion kit this morning from a guy in a forum. Now I just have to do some research on bullets.

22059_xl_650_quick_change_t.jpg
dieset_t.jpg

Just ordered the above from Dillon for .38/.357. I've been reloading 9mm and just started reloading 357Sig.

I shot a LOT of .38 this summer and I picked up a fair bit of the brass. Bought the conversion kit this morning from a guy in a forum. Now I just have to do some research on bullets.

Standard warning for .38spl.......watch your powder charges carefully. Its a tall case and with most powders it can easily hold a double charge, some even triple.

Harry
Love Dillon.

Standard warning for .38spl.......watch your powder charges carefully. Its a tall case and with most powders it can easily hold a double charge, some even triple.

With the light charges for the HBWC, I think it was seven charges of Clays before the .38 Special overflowed. Kind of forget the details now. Definitely capable of errors, if not tending to your process.

Another update on my Dillon primer issues.

I have not yet received my new parts as I only spoke with the tech today.

However, while I was looking up the number I was on the Dillon site and was watching the videos.

Dillon Precision Product Videos

I saw this; basically take an alcohol wipe, I have a bunch for my classes and optics, take a small section and push through the primer pickup tube with the primer rod.

I did the same with the primer magazine. Tons of dirt and yellow stuff came out, did it a few times as I had not done it before.

I did nothing to the primer disk, didn't even take it off, just removed the primer magazine out the top.

Same primers ran smoothly, no jams, locks ups, loaded a 1,000 rounds.

I'm shocked that it made THAT much difference, last night was so bad that my scar hurt like Tom Riddle was close by, but tonight ran like a dream.

Harry

Last edited:
Reloaded my first 200 rounds of 300 blackout subsonic to go along with my newly suppressed AR Pistol. 10.9 gns of 1680 under 220 gn plated Berry’s. These are effortless to load and got me right to 975 FPS and perfect function. Need more bullets now.

Busted out the 1903A3 today and burned through a bunch of PPU Garand ammo and my reduced trailboss loads with the 170 gr coated bullets.

I just can’t get over how fun those reduced loads are to shoot! I set up a 10" plate at 50 yards to do some shooting while standing and kneeling etc. So pleasant, especially on the shoulder. Thanks to mac and/or navelofficer for turning me onto reduced loads along with the lead on those coated gas checked bullets.

Also can’t get over how accurate them 38 cal Zero 158 gr bullets are, over 2400 powder. Burned through 200 rounds of that between yesterday and today. Definitely need to start making more in the next couple months.

Busted out the 1903A3 today and burned through a bunch of PPU Garand ammo and my reduced trailboss loads with the 170 gr coated bullets.

I just can’t get over how fun those reduced loads are to shoot! I set up a 10" plate at 50 yards to do some shooting while standing and kneeling etc. So pleasant, especially on the shoulder. Thanks to mac and/or navelofficer for turning me onto reduced loads along with the lead on those coated gas checked bullets.

Also can’t get over how accurate them 38 cal Zero 158 gr bullets are, over 2400 powder. Burned through 200 rounds of that between yesterday and today. Definitely need to start making more in the next couple months.
fun part of reduced loads is when some one starts in on "hey what are you shooting thats not good" or " your going to clog your barrel/ gas port with lead!"

Best so far is a guy says to me "hey whats that funny noise your rifle makes after you shoot it" He was hearing the SSHHHMMMACKK of the bullet hitting the paper. It took about 6-8 more shots before he believed me.

fun part of reduced loads is when some one starts in on "hey what are you shooting thats not good" or " your going to clog your barrel/ gas port with lead!"

Best so far is a guy says to me "hey whats that funny noise your rifle makes after you shoot it" He was hearing the SSHHHMMMACKK of the bullet hitting the paper. It took about 6-8 more shots before he believed me.
Hahah yup. I actually had another guy at the range who couldn’t believe I was shooting 30-06. In a confused tone he says “that’s a 1903 isn’t it?”
Was surprised when I showed him the ammo as he was expecting jacketed bullets.

I was shooting steel so no one got to hear the SMACK but boy is that a cool sound. Amazing how loud it is actually.

Cast up about a Dillon Akro bin of both 358156 and RCBS 44-255K
Lubed half of each batch with carnauba blue and coated the other half with Hi-Tek

I need to do a whole lot more casting to catch up. Couple more sessions with those moulds and I'm going to focus on the 453423 to feed the Vaquero for a while.

For one reason or another, I hadn't done any reloading to speak of in a couple of months, at least, but over the last 10 days or so, I sort of went crazy. Probably loaded around 2K rounds in 357M, 44M, and 45C. Still using a single stage press, so it was a fair amount of work. I should probably stop now.

Hahah yup. I actually had another guy at the range who couldn’t believe I was shooting 30-06. In a confused tone he says “that’s a 1903 isn’t it?”
Was surprised when I showed him the ammo as he was expecting jacketed bullets.

I was shooting steel so no one got to hear the SMACK but boy is that a cool sound. Amazing how loud it is actually.
Big lead makes a hell of a smack no matter what cal your shooting. I was using lead round ball 50 cal in an old tc hawken for fun at the club and the smack the ball makes when it hits the berm is amazing! Even on the 100 yard line it was an audible thwack!!!!!!

Just picked up a Henry Big Boy .357 20" with the steel receiver.

I've loaded plenty of .357 and .38's to feed my revolvers... but now I've got on good authority that I'll be shooting way more .38 spl and .357 magnum with a new toy... I know @andrew1220 has head great luck loading 158 Zero's through his Henry, and I just might need to head down that path. I've got some coated 158's and some hard cast Carroll 158's floating around I'll use. However I just found several hundred Hornady 110 XTPs and I believe 125's, has anyone had luck loading those for .357/.38 rifle?

I've got your usual suspect powders on hand, Titegroup, W231, Red Dot, AA #5, Bullseye, 2400, and H110/W296. I just dont know if I want to try my 3.4 gr. Titegroup 158gr. .38's through it, concerned about a squib... they're comically light through a 6" revolver.

Just picked up a Henry Big Boy .357 20" with the steel receiver.

I've loaded plenty of .357 and .38's to feed my revolvers... but now I've got on good authority that I'll be shooting way more .38 spl and .357 magnum with a new toy...

Well, if your target is 25 yards away or less, 38 specials are great fun, but I haven't seen any 38 special loads, factory or reloaded, that could match the accuracy of .357M loads at 50-100 yards out of my Henry Big Boy Steel 20". My most accurate results have been in .357M over a relatively fast powder, and I don't load it to the max pressure. I've had great luck with the 125 grain Zero JHPC bullets. They look like Hornady HAP bullets but with a shallow cannelure pressed in (pretty confident they are reworked Hornady HAP bullets, to put in the cannelure, but I can't be sure). They're between 0.356" and 0.357" in diameter, call it .3565", but they're consistently better than 1.5 MOA out of my .357M Big Boy Steel at 100 yards. I've been loading them over 7.5 grains of Universal, yielding only about 1400fps out of the 20" Henry. I've shot them at up to 2000 fps over other powders, but they aren't as accurate then.

Well, if your target is 25 yards away or less . . . I've been loading them over 7.5 grains of Universal, yielding only about 1400fps out of the 20" Henry. I've shot them at up to 2000 fps over other powders, but they aren't as accurate then.

Thanks for the nudge in that direction, I figured .38's wouldn't be as accurate at 50+ yards, those would be relegated to short range plinking on steel. I'll certainly need to explore the ~1400 fps area and do some work-ups of course. I'm pretty excited for it.

Haven’t done much reloading lately. Just got back from Ireland today after 10 days.

But these goodies came in last week while I was away. The free shipping on $49+ Sierra bullet orders from our go-to reloading vendor was hard to pass up.
2C15C681-A964-4FB2-9EEA-075977C449E8.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom