What did you do in the reloading room recently?

Anyone load 45-90?? Almost shit when I saw this laying on the ground at my local range earlier tonight. Who the hell can afford to shoot and leave behind Starline 45-90 brass?!
Needless to say I grabbed them so they didn’t get scrapped.
Also scored some 357 mag brass.
View attachment 298293 View attachment 298294
Sweet! Wish I did. I come up about 20gr short.

I found one 45-70 case a few weeks back and just added it to my brass collection. Didn’t have a 45-90 case so that will be added as well.
Just need to find a home for the rest of it.
Does @Michael J. Spangler @NavelOfficer @The Goose @Stape shoot this caliber?

No sir but I sure as hell would love a case to load with a paper patch bullet and sit on my bench. Aka carry in my pocket and fondle every day.

Anyone load 45-90?? Almost shit when I saw this laying on the ground at my local range earlier tonight. Who the hell can afford to shoot and leave behind Starline 45-90 brass?!
Needless to say I grabbed them so they didn’t get scrapped.
Also scored some 357 mag brass.
View attachment 298293 View attachment 298294
The brass is only $1 each. Look at some of these guys shooting these 45-90s heck whats a cheap one $1800?
Also some folks cant be bothered to police their brass. They also tend to not reload .
Also add that it could well have been loaded many times and the shooter new and left them.
i know a few of these guys and they compete and matches are often 100-200 round events depending on what they are doing.
Its still fairly cheap for big cartridges at around $2 round. For basic soft point ammo.

Last edited:
The brass is only $1 each. Look at some of these guys shooting these 45-90s heck whats a cheap one $1800?
Also some folks cant be bothered to police their brass. They also tend to not reload .
Also add that it could well have been loaded many times and the shooter new and left them.
i know a few of these guys and they compete and matches are often 100-200 round events depending on what they are doing.
Its still fairly cheap for big cartridges at around $2 round. For basic soft point ammo.
Damn! I know nothing about rifles chambered in 45-90 but sounds like they ain’t cheap.

The outside of the cases look clean but the inside has some turquoise copper oxide looking stuff on the casewalls.

Damn! I know nothing about rifles chambered in 45-90 but sounds like they ain’t cheap.

The outside of the cases look clean but the inside has some turquoise copper oxide looking stuff on the casewalls.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U46PZgvK9OY

I help my friends dad cast some 500 grain slugs for his sharps rifle he brings out to Montana for a 300-1000 yard silhouette Match.

He lives in a apparment/assisted living/55 plus type of place qwith no place to cast.
of course there are levr guns to...

Last edited:
A fine salvage indeed! What a shame to see brass like that get tossed and junked.
Can't say I have any dealings with the .45-90.
I have been loading up some .45-70 for a friend that has a Husqvarna Model 45. Does anyone know how stiff a load this rifle can handle?
Until I see data, I'm just loading at 1873 levels.
Thanks!

Oh...at one time I had some .45 basic brass. I think these were meant to be trimmed to any of the .45-*** calibers. I suppose they are buried in one of my stashes.

Used to form the following cartridges, click here for data and die requirements:33 WCF, 38-56 WCF, 38-70 WCF, 40-50 Sharps, 40-60 WCF, 40-60 Marlin, 40-65 WCF, 40-70 Sharps, 40-70 WCF, 40-70 Remington, 40-75 Ballard, 40-82 WCF, 40-90 Sharps, 44-70 Maynard, 45-60 WCF, 45-70 WCF, 45-82 WCF, 45-90 WCF, 45-100 Sharps Straight, 45-100 Ballard and the 45-120 Sharps

After finding/reading the above description, is anyone looking for a Colt Lightning?
There was one on consignment at The Armory in Salem, CT a while back.
I also found .38-56 WCF ammo at Hansen's in Southport, CT; all of one box.

059_edited-2.jpg_thumbnail0.jpg

Manged to break the powder measure on my Dillon 550. The lower part of the body collar (#13940) snapped during a reloading session. Replacement on it's way from Dillon..no charge.

100% sure this is my fault. Using an eBay "quick connect" clamp replacement (#13939) to allow for tool-less removal of the power measure...it's plastic and the bolt holes look worn and enlarged. It's going in the trash....back to stock Dillon parts.

Attachments

• 20190818_093924.jpg
    20190818_093924.jpg
    141.7 KB · Views: 13
Did thirty rounds of 303 British last night, want to try a non-scientific experiment. All thirty using the same primer, charge, and projectile, but fifteen with PPU cases and fifteen with Herter's cases. Curious to see if there's any significant difference on an SR-1.

Have you loaded many Herters cases? I ask since it was recommended not to use them. I forget why, but they're on my brass to avoid list.
I heard they were bad before, too--at least the pistol ones. I got these for free from a guy shooting his Enfield, and they do kind of suck. I had a little bit wonky neck tension on a prior loading of them. This time after neck sizing I made sure with a .312 projectile that there would be sufficient tension. I don't like 'em, but I had 20 PPU cases and felt like 20 rounds was a bit light for loading session/range trip, so I decided to go with the 15/15 approach.

Have you loaded many Herters cases? I ask since it was recommended not to use them. I forget why, but they're on my brass to avoid list.
Ive loaded their 44 mag and 9mm cases without any issues aside from the primer pockets on the 44 cases being extremely tight.

No experience with their rifle brass.

I heard they were bad before, too--at least the pistol ones. I got these for free from a guy shooting his Enfield, and they do kind of suck. I had a little bit wonky neck tension on a prior loading of them. This time after neck sizing I made sure with a .312 projectile that there would be sufficient tension. I don't like 'em, but I had 20 PPU cases and felt like 20 rounds was a bit light for loading session/range trip, so I decided to go with the 15/15 approach.
Cabela’s bought the Herters name at some point. Do you know if your brass is old or new production?
Not sure who Cabela contracted with for the production some say S&B for brass and Barnual russian for steel?

Cabela’s bought the Herters name at some point. Do you know if your brass is old or new production?
Not sure who Cabela contracted with for the production some say S&B for brass and Barnual russian for steel?

I've loaded a bunch of .44M and .357M Herter's brass from factory rounds I bought in 2017, probably, no earlier for sure. I'm thinking S&B with those calibers. Nothing wrong with 9mm S&B or 9mm Herter's brass that I could tell when I reloaded some of that, but the primer pockets in the .44M and .357M cases are super tight and sometimes a little off-center. Given the difference there, I don't assume that all Herter's brass is a problem. Even the .44M and .357M shoot fine if you can get them primed. The factory rounds look almost seamless on the base, and they're not crimped. I took a closer look at one of the last boxes of factory rounds I had, and a few of them you could see that their machine had just powered through a little difficulty.

Reloading got easier and better without Herter's 357M and 44M brass. Helluva thing to start with.

No idea. I was at the range one day shooting one of my other milsurps and a fellow was shooting his Enfield. We got chatting, and he asked me if I wanted his brass and I said "sure," since I reload it. I think this is the second or third loading of it. Now, I just make sure to test the necks on each of them after sizing to make sure they'll hold a .312 firmly.

Just loaded another 200 rds. .45 ACP with the recipe mentioned previously. I was cranking along on my turret press thinking I had a good system of separating the small primers since I inspect as I reload. All the small primer stuff was Federal. Then I came across some Federal large primer brass. What a royal PITA. I'm going to have to get my SIL to separate the brass in the future since these are for him. That is, until I get a gun for .45 ACP.

Separately, I noticed that most of the large primer Federal had flattened primers which would indicate pressure signs (this was commercial ammo, not reloads). Has anyone out there experienced this as well?

ETA: just read an article that Federal primers are soft and will flatten more than other brands. So, I guess it may not be pressure after all.

In my experience flattened primers are only one small symptom. There could be several reasons primers are backing out of a pocket. Pressure being one.
I have come to the point in my reloading where I discard (trade) all small primer 45s. If I am shooting factory ammo and its not a large primer, it stays on the range for someone else to deal with.

In my experience flattened primers are only one small symptom. There could be several reasons primers are backing out of a pocket. Pressure being one.
I have come to the point in my reloading where I discard (trade) all small primer 45s. If I am shooting factory ammo and its not a large primer, it stays on the range for someone else to deal with.

Happy I’m not the only one.

No idea. I was at the range one day shooting one of my other milsurps and a fellow was shooting his Enfield. We got chatting, and he asked me if I wanted his brass and I said "sure," since I reload it. I think this is the second or third loading of it. Now, I just make sure to test the necks on each of them after sizing to make sure they'll hold a .312 firmly.
Herters was a round for a good while 1890s to mid 70s?, snowmobiles, mini bikes, bows, boats decoys and such. Herters never made their own ammo as far as I know. I think I have a old box of herters paper cased shotgun shells that was made by Nobel I think ? Cabelas bought them some time ago but I thought the Hurters ammo line was long gone? Then reintroduced in the past few years?

Last edited:
Came across a couple of these while loading 9mm. Looks like a 22lr case found it's way into a 9mm case and was loaded and fired. I usually eyeball the powder as I'm setting the bullet and these looked extra full. Upon closer inspection I found there was a case within a case which i assumed to be some other caliber closer in diameter to 9mm. Pulled it apart and it was 22lr. Came across a second one a little while later.
ETA- or maybe the 22 case ended up in there and the expander ball crushed it during sizing to match the id of the 9mm case?
20190821_173910.jpg 20190821_173945.jpg 20190821_193517.jpg

I've been standing up all my 9mm on the bench in batches so I can look them over. I find more than a few Makarov and .380 cases mixed in with the Lugers.
Easy at this point to shine a flashlight in there to spot the odd shit...

I've been standing up all my 9mm on the bench in batches so I can look them over. I find more than a few Makarov and .380 cases mixed in with the Lugers.
Easy at this point to shine a flashlight in there to spot the odd shit...
I have to admit I dont spend a whole lot of time combing through 9mm cases. I go blind trying to read the case heads, lol. I caught these two because I make it a point to look in the case as Im setting the bullet and I saw the high powder level and the tore up case in the other case. 380 I can feel on the downstroke and afaik I havent loaded and fired one yet. (anyone know what the result of loading a 125 grain rn under 3.8 grains of Titegroup in a 380 would be?) May have very well had some Mak sneak through. They should outlaw those calibers imo. ;)

Back
Top Bottom